How To Get Our Center's DIADs To "Sleep" During Lunch?

Overpaid Union Thug

Some of our drivers have been racking up 1.5-2.5 hours of bonus lately. Even with 10+ hour planned days! This more than likely means they are skipping lunch an/or running and gunning. This is ridiculous at any time but to be doing that while UPS is trying to cut routes across the board is just plain stupid. Some of us were wondering how to start the process to get our DIADs to sleep during our lunch breaks. That way those fools can't just enter their lunch and not take it. If California centers can do this then why can't others?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Problem with that action is that they will still keep on delivering. They will show the delivery times later on after the diad "wakes" back up from the siesta.

Granted this will be harder to do on a business route, but it can be done.

So forcing the diad to sleep will not keep the determined idiots from their deliveries during lunch.

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Some of our drivers have been racking up 1.5-2.5 hours of bonus lately. Even with 10+ hour planned days! This more than likely means they are skipping lunch an/or running and gunning. This is ridiculous at any time but to be doing that while UPS is trying to cut routes across the board is just plain stupid. Some of us were wondering how to start the process to get our DIADs to sleep during our lunch breaks. That way those fools can't just enter their lunch and not take it. If California centers can do this then why can't others?

Many DIAD functionalities can be turned on/off by center in the configuration file.
The config file is set up by center and cannot be changed in the DIAD.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ca ctrs were forced to do it because of a lawsuit. I agree with you Arrow, I wish we could do it as well. Danny is right though, it is not fool proof. There will be those that will work around it. I would think it would show up on ODSe. The board shuts down at point A and comes back up at point B. Not sure how that would work.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The problem lies not with catching the drivers. The problem lies with the center management team not wanting to slow down their top earners for them. So they would know, but they would also not do anything about it. All it would be is a feel good about it thing.

d

JonFrum

One method is to put the DIAD to sleep by winning an $87 million backpay lawsuit like the California drivers did.

Or one can put the drivers to sleep using the technique the beings used in Dark City. (I love that movie.)

helenofcalifornia

What a nightmare to work through your one hour lunch. Having to prerecord all those stops, not get signatures for all those businesses, then stop completing all those businesses within a five minute period so you can get back on track.

All it takes is one of those stops to make the call that they didn't get their package and the Big Brown Eye will be on that driver.

Take your lunch, it's not worth losing your job over.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
If you punch out for lunch but keep working, then stop-complete a bunch of prerecorded stops afterwards, you will be raising all kinds of red flags and have them wondering how you managed to do 20 or 30 stops in five minutes. Notwithstanding the issue of you working off the clock while other drivers are laid off, UPS doesn't like having their numbers messed with: your SPORH, your delivery times, signatures, all are going to be jacked up.

Don't set yourself up to lose your job over falsifying your delivery records. Which is what you're doing if you're working through your lunch.

There have been several threads lately about drivers being fired for a number of reasons. To me this points to the idea that the company is looking for reasons( more so now than before). If you are going to skip you meal time and keep working, man up and don't put the meal time in the board. Just be HONEST about your time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also agree that all drivers should take their lunch period (I did not say hour because we all don't get an hour--only 45 min up here) but disagree that it should be a predetermined time frame, such as noon to 1. I think it was Trp who suggested that the board shut down between the times that you put in for your lunch period. I also agree that pre-recording a bunch of stops and then stop completing them defeats the purpose and sets up that driver for possible disciplinary action, especially if they are signing for commercial stops.

Now if someone could only show me how to turn off the ODS function while I am at lunch!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Two things being discussed here.

1, the driver not taking his lunch, but putting down that he did. That is time card falsification. And while the vast majority of the sups will forever look the other way as long as they benefit, it is a technicality that can get you fired. Until management is forced to force the drivers to take lunch, they will never have the incentive to do so. Their pay and hopes for future advancement depend on those types of drivers.

2, the driver that does not take lunch and runs while the diad is sleeping. In many centers, every stop you are going to run is in the board before you leave the building. So just run a bunch of home deliveries that you can DR later on. No problem. And for those that dont, to scan and enter the addresses afterward, or to prerecord before the thing nods off is easy enough.

The Key is that management has to be the ones to force the drivers to take lunch with action on their part. Just shutting down the diad is not enough to deter the ones that want to work lunch.

d

Two things being discussed here.

1, the driver not taking his lunch, but putting down that he did. That is time card falsification. And while the vast majority of the sups will forever look the other way as long as they benefit, it is a technicality that can get you fired. Until management is forced to force the drivers to take lunch, they will never have the incentive to do so. Their pay and hopes for future advancement depend on those types of drivers.

2, the driver that does not take lunch and runs while the diad is sleeping. In many centers, every stop you are going to run is in the board before you leave the building. So just run a bunch of home deliveries that you can DR later on. No problem. And for those that dont, to scan and enter the addresses afterward, or to prerecord before the thing nods off is easy enough.

The Key is that management has to be the ones to force the drivers to take lunch with action on their part. Just shutting down the diad is not enough to deter the ones that want to work lunch.

d
Both 1 & 2 can get you fired.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I also agree that all drivers should take their lunch period (I did not say hour because we all don't get an hour--only 45 min up here) but disagree that it should be a predetermined time frame, such as noon to 1. I think it was Trp who suggested that the board shut down between the times that you put in for your lunch period. I also agree that pre-recording a bunch of stops and then stop completing them defeats the purpose and sets up that driver for possible disciplinary action, especially if they are signing for commercial stops.

Now if someone could only show me how to turn off the ODS function while I am at lunch!
That's easy. I leave my diad in the truck and I leave the truck.:happy-very: If I happen to come back early or I don't leave the truck I simply ignore the diad.

over9five

Staff member

OK, it's been a while but I think I used to shut the "radio" off so I wouldn't hear that annoying DIAD beep while on lunch?

You're able to shut it off, because some hospitals and medical facilities have signs that ask you to before you enter.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OK, it's been a while but I think I used to shut the "radio" off so I wouldn't hear that annoying DIAD beep while on lunch?

You're able to shut it off, because some hospitals and medical facilities have signs that ask you to before you enter.
You can shut the radio off. I never knew what that was for. LOL Now I know. Coooooooool!

partykid

Of course! Heaven forbid we should be able to take an uninterupted lunch. Not that that has ever stopped me. I just ignore them.
I overheard some "suits" talking the other day about this same thing. They are planning on taking this option off the diad when we go live with telematics...JAN. that is