How To Get Our Center's DIADs To "Sleep" During Lunch?

Scanthis

The problem lies not with catching the drivers. The problem lies with the center management team not wanting to slow down their top earners for them. So they would know, but they would also not do anything about it. All it would be is a feel good about it thing.

d
There is another side to this argument. As an On Car Sup I would prefer that my drivers take more personal time. I can't count the times a customer wanted a later pickup on occasion and the driver is already at the gas pumps at 4:15 p.m. and he took no lunch. Calling the customer back and telling them I will get them a pick up but it might be later because another driver will be coming off area is not a phone call I like to make. This gives the customer an option to move the much needed volume to FedEx. If the actual route driver would have taken a lunch we could service the customer that funds wages and pensions.

So congrats to the big bonus driver. Because you felt the need to run an gun all day you managed to actually drive home and eat supper "on the clock" becaue you racked up two hours of bonus. You also made your managment team scamble to cover your pickup, you put your self at a greater risk of injury and accidents, you made your driving partners do your work(They probably didnt want to go home and see their families anyway) and you exposed our company to the possibilties of losing revenue at a time when we should all be fighting for every package.

As a managment person I say you should take your lunch, its better for everyone.

helenofcalifornia

I don't work in a "bonus" center. How does it work and is it saving UPS money? I am sure somehow it is making UPS money or they would have eliminated this program just like holiday turkeys, Circle of Honor, safety catalog awards, etc.

Scanthis

The only real benefit is that it can encourage a driver to not be overallowed. If a driver has a 9 hour planned day there is a "reward" to not work over 9 hours. It would benefit to pay the bonus instead of paying the overallowed. If bonus goes bye bye tomorrow I would not miss it I think. Although I should be careful what I wish for, I may just get it.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I work in a bonus center and lately UPS is going after the bonus drivers just as hard as the over allowed drivers. They are going over everything with a fine tooth comb. It seems lately this is what IE has been up to. Personally its a pain to not have any flexabilty when taking your lunch. Not evryone drives a nice condensed commercial route. When you drive between 160 and 200 miles a day your exact location come 1:29PM is not going to be at the same spot let alone the same Thomas Guide page. Also they have done away with the option to take a 30 minute lunch as well, so now you are required to take the complete 60 minutes. Sometimes all you need or want is 30 minutes.

The only real benefit is that it can encourage a driver to not be overallowed. If a driver has a 9 hour planned day there is a "reward" to not work over 9 hours. It would benefit to pay the bonus instead of paying the overallowed. If bonus goes bye bye tomorrow I would not miss it I think. Although I should be careful what I wish for, I may just get it.
That is how the bonus system is supposed to work. In my area the allowances, the area trace and EDD are all so jacked up that very few (maybe 3 out of 50-60 areas) can hit bonus anymore. More than half the area's are dispatched right at or just over 9.5 and it takes 10.5 or more to actually run the route. It's bad enough that an hour over is now our new "scratch" for the day. The center's "least best" is usually 2.5-3 hours over allowed.
Yet, for a while, the only ones to get production rides were the ones that filed on the O/9.5. Lately no one is getting the rides.

rocket man

is there or is there not a master contract?we have drivers filing grievances on guys who dont do lunch we get paid there hour

Big Babooba

In my center, if you shut the radio off...Warning Letter!!
I've come across construction projects where blasting is being done. They are always posted with a warning to shut off all radio equipment. If I fail to do so, they might have to send my warning letter via air.:angel:

The problem lies not with catching the drivers. The problem lies with the center management team not wanting to slow down their top earners for them. So they would know, but they would also not do anything about it. All it would be is a feel good about it thing.

d
Excellent point: UPS does not want to do anything to slow down the drivers who skip their lunch. Just think of all the free labor they get when drivers skip their lunch. Why would they want to lose that?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In CT, they beat up the good drivers just as much as the lazy ones. I see plenty of hard working drivers walking into the center manager's office in the morning for tit-tat things.

If they made our diads sleep, they would be changing a lot of routes around. Right now, all they care about is what you type into the lunch screen, not that you take lunch at that time. Its another smoke screen so they look good to the division and district.

I can't wait to see the union negotiate with them during the next contract. There are a lot of loopholes that need to be fixed from this past hasty one they agreed on.