How to motivate the rank and file to become more involved?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Suggestions? I mostly introduce myself to them whenever I work alongside them and give them a brief explanation with the bread and butter articles like harassment and supervisors working. I know Rome wasn’t built in a day, and perhaps I need to become more patient.

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
Suggestions? I mostly introduce myself to them whenever I work alongside them and give them a brief explanation with the bread and butter articles like harassment and supervisors working. I know Rome wasn’t built in a day, and perhaps I need to become more patient.
Am new, passed my 30 days but before my 70 working days to be in the union. I’m assuming nobody is going to tell me how things work once I’m in, but would appreciate any pointers like that. If I get one of them fancy union books I guess reading that is the first step

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Am new, passed my 30 days but before my 70 working days to be in the union. I’m assuming nobody is going to tell me how things work once I’m in, but would appreciate any pointers like that. If I get one of them fancy union books I guess reading that is the first step
The BA has the physical books in my local, and I keep a list of anyone who needs or asks for one. I tell the members to download our local’s app, but they recently released the UPS Teamsters app and after putting in what local you’re from it’ll give you the contract, and supplements you’re under.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Grasshopper.

yours is a thankless occupation. as a stew half the people will love you, half the people will hate you

most don't care. just be there when needed and do the best you can.

542thruNthru

Being a teamster isn't just filing greviances.
Damn right!

It's also about drinking beer, chewing bubblegum and kicking ass!

giphy-223.gif

Shorts365

eh, I do think if all the PT folks have to pay an initiation fee, the least the local could do is have a BA show up and do a little Union 101 once a month for the one or two scrubs that actually show up.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
eh, I do think if all the PT folks have to pay an initiation fee, the least the local could do is have a BA show up and do a little Union 101 once a month for the one or two scrubs that actually show up.
Spoke with BA today and my local is going to start membership meetings again, and steward workshops, along with other activities to educate the members. I was glad because I was going to mention it to him. I’d like to get better at representing them since there is always room for improvement. I’m going to ask management to give me a heads up whenever they have new guys since NMA Article 3 states this:
5052B142-24AE-4568-B9FD-E6CD6A8D96C3.png

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
The BA has the physical books in my local, and I keep a list of anyone who needs or asks for one. I tell the members to download our local’s app, but they recently released the UPS Teamsters app and after putting in what local you’re from it’ll give you the contract, and supplements you’re under.
What’s BA stand for? See it thrown around a lot. I’ll get the app, thanks :thumbup1:

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
What’s BA stand for? See it thrown around a lot. I’ll get the app, thanks :thumbup1:
Business agent. It generally goes sorta like this:
D22C938F-E689-4F73-892F-8B118855FEA2.jpeg

The app is actually really useful. My local had an app too, but this new one has the article titles on the side where I can easily go to an article instead of scrolling through the pages. Ask for your shop steward, and get to know your business agent, go to meetings and do your part to inform your fellow union brethren.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
the key is to get the members fired up especially the ones in the b uilding getting raped on the daily while the company is raking in record profits.

AccidentProne

I don't understand this mentality of Us vs Them, we're all just people going to work, doing a job to get paid. Y'all act like it's a civil war at your local. Probably is with the way you treat people.

Management is just like anyone else, they mirror people's attitudes. You want to be a dick and file grievances for every little mistake they do and give them a hard time? Then they are gonna ride your ass until you leave. Show respect to each other.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
I don't understand this mentality of Us vs Them, we're all just people going to work, doing a job to get paid. Y'all act like it's a civil war at your local. Probably is with the way you treat people.

Management is just like anyone else, they mirror people's attitudes. You want to be a dick and file grievances for every little mistake they do and give them a hard time? Then they are gonna ride your ass until you leave. Show respect to each other.
It’s not about us vs them. It’s about holding the company accountable for breaching the contract. I have nothing but good rapport with management in my building, but I am not going to let myself be a pushover or let them get away with violating our rights. I WAD, follow the methods, and get to work on time. I may be a dick, but I am not a :censored2:.

AccidentProne

It's all fun and games when sticking it to the man until the company starts holding you accountable.

There is so many things that the company lets us get away with, it would be miserable working if they held us to it.