How will the new contract affect senior preload worker pay

Time for change

Right on Gumby, every contract the union that works for the company tells impressionable workers how great the contract is. Definitely trying to rally the part time vote.

Tony Q

It will mean we get squeezed again. Red circled part timers have it made while the gap in pay keeps getting wider the past 20 years for the rest of us. Now people that haven’t worked a day get a big raise. Do not let this happen, no catch up raise has got to be a no vote for all existing part timers.
How long have you worked for and how much to you think you actually make an hour in total compensation?

Tony Q

Well Gumby take a look at the part time person hired in 1986. They are within a few dollars of full scale driver and they have all the benefits too. We will never be even close to a few dollars from full scale, and that’s fine but the gap is too wide. Just because we have benefits doesn’t excuse the gap widening this much over the past couple decades. And to think drivers are whining about tiers
I have a part timer who was hired in 1995 who is making 27.99 an our as I just saws it on his grievance form. He is 8 dollars and 36 cents off the top rate for a driver. Thats 9 years later by your formula.

Time for change

Not my point. What does the person hired in 86 get for wages and compensation? So they have about 32 years in and are within a couple dollars of top driver rate. When I have 32 in, I’ll be 12-13 dollars an hour short of full scale with no catch up raises. The gap has widened. The pay and progression structure of part time is completely bs compared to full time. Yet all we hear about is 22.4 second tier.

542thruNthru

Well sounds like to me not even the PT workers like the 22.4 jobs. The union is going to have a hard time selling this one.

Can't wait to hear my local giving the Raw Raw speech at the contract meeting. 22.4 sounds like the worst job to have at UPS. Preloader/Driver two of the hardest jobs at UPS plus no real protection at all. With less pay then a FT driver. Yup I'm sure the negotiation team imagined droves of part-time workers lining up for it but just shows how out of touch they are.

Well sounds like to me not even the PT workers like the 22.4 jobs. The union is going to have a hard time selling this one.

Can't wait to hear my local giving the Raw Raw speech at the contract meeting. 22.4 sounds like the worst job to have at UPS. Preloader/Driver two of the hardest jobs at UPS plus no real protection at all. With less pay then a FT driver. Yup I'm sure the negotiation team imagined droves of part-time workers lining up for it but just shows how out of touch they are.
Of it passes it's fixed. I want mail ballots...m

542thruNthru

Can't wait to hear my local give me the tired "we have to stay competitive" line. Like they work for UPS. They work for us. We will tell you when it's time to take concessions.

snowflake

Just curious.. what if we are part time already making over $15? Do we just stay at what we are making or do we get a raise to? Haven’t seen anything about the contract, just going on what I’ve heard at work. Not interested in going full time. I have my own business during the day.

mikejonesjr

what do you mean by no real protection?

MattE

Aren't you getting a $2 raise from your current hourly rate in August? They told us at our hub that we were getting one.

I haven't seen this said anywhere. I would love for it to be true, but all I've seen is the starting rate is going up to $13. It would be fair to give all PT'ers a $2 raise. If true it would probably change my no vote to a yes vote.

Also a random thought I've had, is to have top pay for PT'ers that is equal to hybrid pay, that all Pt'ers eventually get through some kind of progression. I mean if they're going to pay hybrid's $20/hr to work preload, why can't they pay everyone that much? I would take a hybrid job if I could pass the DOT physical. So before someone says I should just go hybrid, that's why I can't.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I haven't seen this said anywhere. I would love for it to be true, but all I've seen is the starting rate is going up to $13. It would be fair to give all PT'ers a $2 raise. If true it would probably change my no vote to a yes vote.

Also a random thought I've had, is to have top pay for PT'ers that is equal to hybrid pay, that all Pt'ers eventually get through some kind of progression. I mean if they're going to pay hybrid's $20/hr to work preload, why can't they pay everyone that much? I would take a hybrid job if I could pass the DOT physical. So before someone says I should just go hybrid, that's why I can't.
They are paying 22.4 $20 to deliver out of a package car. Do not convince yourself that they will be working inside for longer than an absolute minimum amount of time.