How will the new contract affect senior preload worker pay

Superteeth2478

Of it passes it's fixed. I want mail ballots...m
You know, I thought I was being super-paranoid when I had this thought myself...I wonder if there is a way to fix the votes. The contract barely passed last time, and this time there is a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths over what happened last time, so I find it hard to believe that it will pass the first time around this time, or even a second time around just because a lot of people will vote no on the master just to protest what happened last time.

You know, I thought I was being super-paranoid when I had this thought myself...I wonder if there is a way to fix the votes. The contract barely passed last time, and this time there is a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths over what happened last time, so I find it hard to believe that it will pass the first time around this time, or even a second time around just because a lot of people will vote no on the master just to protest what happened last time.
I seriously believe the fix is in..

Superteeth2478

I haven't seen this said anywhere. I would love for it to be true, but all I've seen is the starting rate is going up to $13. It would be fair to give all PT'ers a $2 raise. If true it would probably change my no vote to a yes vote.

Also a random thought I've had, is to have top pay for PT'ers that is equal to hybrid pay, that all Pt'ers eventually get through some kind of progression. I mean if they're going to pay hybrid's $20/hr to work preload, why can't they pay everyone that much? I would take a hybrid job if I could pass the DOT physical. So before someone says I should just go hybrid, that's why I can't.
Nah, I say it should be $2.65 to account for the difference in unskilled pay. I'm guessing it's $13 across the board in this proposal, possibly doing away with the skilled/unskilled differential. But as it is unskilled new hires get $10.35, so $2.65 across the board for everyone who is already over $13 makes sense to me.

That said, with all the crap about hybrid drivers in the details, there could be a $2.65 raise across the board for everyone over $13 an hour already and I'd still vote no, unless hybrid drivers had 9.5 protection and the language about "guaranteed 8 hours as long as work is available" is struck. And there'd also need to be language indicating that hybrid drivers could not drive for more than 5.5 hours a day (taking into account 4 hours of other work and 5.5 hours of driving to keep them below 9.5 hours).

MattE

Nah, I say it should be $2.65 to account for the difference in unskilled pay. I'm guessing it's $13 across the board in this proposal, possibly doing away with the skilled/unskilled differential. But as it is unskilled new hires get $10.35, so $2.65 across the board for everyone who is already over $13 makes sense to me.

That said, with all the crap about hybrid drivers in the details, there could be a $2.65 raise across the board for everyone over $13 an hour already and I'd still vote no, unless hybrid drivers had 9.5 protection and the language about "guaranteed 8 hours as long as work is available" is struck. And there'd also need to be language indicating that hybrid drivers could not drive for more than 5.5 hours a day (taking into account 4 hours of other work and 5.5 hours of driving to keep them below 9.5 hours).

Yeah $2.65 would be even better. And I think the 22.4 drivers are a bad idea for the union, but a win for the company. However since I can’t take advantage of it, and don’t see anyway either side will take that away (too many new full timers and their contributions to the union for them to take it away), I’m just trying to fight a fight I think is winnable.

And as to then keeping the 22.4’s outsiders much as possible. Maybe. I have no doubt they’ll ride them as much as they can. But I see them eventually using automation and 22.4’s to get rid of pt preload. Not next contract, and probably not the one after, but I bet it’s coming.

And to the electronic voting being fixed. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit. What kind of oversight do we have to verify it? None that I know of.

MattE

And if you’re wondering how I think they’ll get rid of pt preload. Eventually raise that 22.4 limit to 33-50% and that’s enough for our preload. And we’re in an old building that hasn’t been updated in 40 years. Like them putting in the conveyer belt was the last big change.

The only difference is we don't cry as much as the drivers do, no matter what age.

....says the guy who has one of few part-time jobs in the country that has a pension and 100% paid insurance that includes family...you probably expect a part-time job to provide you a living wage as well....

Superteeth2478

That is truly awful language. It completely negates the whole point of having a guarantee.
Exactly, and that's the kind of fine print that people usually gloss over. That language wasn't there before when the 8-hour guarantee was referenced. It's a good thing that changes are underlined and bolded, but most people don't read the fine print anyways, and probably wouldn't even notice the "as long as work is available" part.

Note that that change is applying to RPCDs. They are guaranteed 8 hours, without the "as long as work is available" part, if they are used to cover staffing shortages on Saturdays or Sundays.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
You make a good point. While the money does suck, I'm only doing this for the healthcare. I probably won't stick around for the pension, but right now getting three weeks off paid, healthcare, and other discounts is pretty damn good for an easily but physically taxing (on most days) job. After UPS, I get to sit in a nice air conditioned office and do more brainy work from 10-6 for $19 an hour. UPS can :censored2:.