How's North Carolina TEST STATION doing??

bbsam

Staff member
You had to have someone else recruit your drivers???

I thought for sure people were lined up for blocks begging for an application just to work for you.
. No. They came looking for the position. Hired one guy before he was even 21. Didn’t even really need him at the time.

bacha29

That depends. Is it just me or is it thousands of contractors dealing with the same issues?
If it’s just me, they either don’t offer me a new contract next year or if it’s bad enough, they terminate the current contract.

Did you already know that answer bacha? Are you trying to strike some kind of fear in me or other contractors with the power X has? Lol. Everybody knows that. There’s probably not a contractor on this site that hasn’t personally witnessed a fellow contractor have their contract terminated.
Know what happens then? Every other contractor knows “not to friend’n do that!”

I think what you keep missing is that any contractor can set up his own driving school and bring in the “cheap labor”. Takes a couple weeks to get through but pretty straightforward. I’ve gotten a couple guys from the local Jr college. I’m longtime friends with the coach and he’s sent me a couple guys who for their own reasons didn’t feel college was right for them. One had pizza delivery experience, another worked in a pizza restaurant. Both are turning into good, dependable, productive drivers. Do you think I’ve found the last two on the face of the earth?
So they do to a certain extent take responsibility for overselling the service and wrongly assumed that the lifeforms would just be there to haul their junk away?
In addition I am truly amazed that you actually have that large a pool of unskilled socioeconomic underclass people to draw from.

In my area where the population is washing out the age group that you would normally draw from is shrinking and those who can are making every effort to get to a better place and into a better line of work primarily professional in nature. The handful that remain from that core to a considerable extent come from conditions so impoverished that selling and using drugs is their economy. .......And the situation in my area is by no means unique and will almost certainly create more numerous service failures and disruptions going forward.

When contractors cried to me about always being shorthanded I would respond by say "Take a look around. There isn't anybody and those who would qualify simply will not take this ball busting work for what you want to pay. And if you were to abolish the New Deal and Great Society social programs living conditions around here would go from existable to unlivable in a month. It's your own dumb fault that you still went out and borrowed money to
service and support an economy that was already being well supported by existing carriers".

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
For some reason having current drivers refer their friends for a job is seen as a negative to @Cactus. That’s some ironclad logic.

Don't you love the movement of the goalposts?

"You don't pay enough, that's why you can't find help."
"I've got all the positions filled and I'm getting referrals."
"Well, you don't have people lined up begging for a job."

SmithBarney

the QxxxxQ packages are going to a lot of different markets other than just the GSOR market, I picked up packages heading to 10 with locations from the NYC to MIAMI areas.

EDIT, those 10 packages only came from two different small shippers. (6 came from one shipper)

Last edited: