I A M penison out of money

PT Car Washer

If you retire at 60 that's 15 years. I don't see what's so unreasonable about expecting a comfortable 15 year-long retirement after working 30 years for a Fortune 500 company and paying into a pension fund and social security the whole way. You sound like some corporate shill trying to tell people that after spending the best years of their lives working at a physical job for a multi-billion dollar company they should count themselves lucky if they get more than a pittance.
No I agree you should have a comfortable retirement if you will also agree employees working for McDonalds and Walmart do also. Most people realize that $5000/month private pension is not sustainable.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No I agree you should have a comfortable retirement if you will also agree employees working for McDonalds and Walmart do also. Most people realize that $5000/month private pension is not sustainable.
Anybody who spends their life working fulltime for a billion dollar corporation should reasonably expect a decent retirement plan. Our pension plan has been paying out over $5000/month at 30 years for over 20 years now and is still fully funded. This idea that a decent pension is somehow "not sustainable" is nonsense, a pension is like any other financial instrument in that it requires good management.

The company addressed that by buying out its obligation, so they did have that option.
I've never said the company didn't pay their fair share on rh CS plan.
But unfortunately too many other multi employer plans are in the same shape and UPS can't bail them out.
On the other hand they knew about these problems for years and did nothing about it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've never said the company didn't pay their fair share on rh CS plan.
But unfortunately too many other multi employer plans are in the same shape and UPS can't bail them out.
On the other hand they knew about these problems for years and did nothing about it.
Pension funds, in general, need to be managed better, I'll certainly agree to that. But everyone points at Central States and goes "See, pensions don't work!". There are plenty of pension funds that are working just fine, it all comes down to planning and fund management.

Pension funds, in general, need to be managed better, I'll certainly agree to that. But everyone points at Central States and goes "See, pensions don't work!". There are plenty of pension funds that are working just fine, it all comes down to planning and fund management.
It's not all about management

Many funds are paying out to people who no longer have an employer to make contributions

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

As long as mcdonalds and walmart pay into the pension on their behalf. I guess those guys should unionize and have someone negotiate these things for them.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
As long as mcdonalds and walmart pay into the pension on their behalf. I guess those guys should unionize and have someone negotiate these things for them.
The decline of the middle class in this country has happened in lockstep with the decline in union membership. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence..

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The decline of the middle class in this country has happened in lockstep with the decline in union membership. But I'm sure that's just a coincidence..

Been talking with the union hall about strategies for organizing more local businesses. We need to do a major PR overhaul.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
And after this sell out contract what can we offer someone else?

Most people outside UPS don't have any clue about our issues concerning the contract. When the general public thinks about unions, however, the first thought that comes to mind is likely "corruption".

If we started to focus on what we can control on the local level, and build ourselves up through helping more workers in our area, we would stand a better chance of being able to influence what happens at the national level. We can't let the bad behavior of union officials stand in the way of the mission.

This last meeting was the first time I heard of new organization efforts.

Most people outside UPS don't have any clue about our issues concerning the contract. When the general public thinks about unions, however, the first thought that comes to mind is likely "corruption".

If we started to focus on what we can control on the local level, and build ourselves up through helping more workers in our area, we would stand a better chance of being able to influence what happens at the national level. We can't let the bad behavior of union officials stand in the way of the mission.

This last meeting was the first time I heard of new organization efforts.
We need to get rid of Hoffa