I got a lot of questions!

Zowert

I'd say 80% of the welders at my last job would have been fired if they randomly drug tested. Saw a guy pass out on heroin with the fluxcore still burning. He was suspended and told to go to rehab but not forced. To be honest, he was a hell of a welder.

Welding is like the only skilled trade (other than musicians) that seems to have a lot of heavy drug addicts. I remember seeing more than one welder featured on that show “Intervention”. My best bud from high school learned to weld while serving time in prison. He got out and easily found work in the trade, despite being a convicted felon (armed robbery). Coolest guy I know but has a tough time keeping his nose clean. Relapses on painkillers every so often and makes really bad decisions, like driving around in a car with expired tags on a suspended license and a loaded .45 under his seat.

Over disciplined0123

I was surprised they didn’t test drivers for liability reasons. I thought they’d want to keep drug users and/or addicts off the road under their insurance. Then I started driving and the answer to why they don’t drug test was obvious, they don’t need to.

I know a few people who are heavily addicted to hard drugs like meth and heroin. They’re the most unreliable and people I’ve met. Their behavior alone makes it obvious they’re using, not to mention the track marks on their arms. There is no way they’d be able to pass driver training as they can’t go more than four hours without sticking a needle in their arm.

For package handlers; Drug testing people for a job with a turnover rate as high as 70% in some areas would cost the company way too much money. As long as a handler can put packages on the right shelf in the morning (and set all my next-day air in the cab) I really don’t care what you’re doing on your off time.

Getting high really isn’t worth losing your pension IMO. You can catch up on all the partying you missed after you retire.
It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$ They can and will test you after accident with injury or any negligence on your part to cause a accident. and or also fit for duty testing can come into play but must be witnessed by 2 members of management for warranting a fit for duty test