I hate this place.

john chesney

Ive been preloading for 2 years and I :censored2:ing hate it. Everyday is worse and worse and my supervisors are either bi polar smart-asses or hey I'm your buddy so you'll work fast for me right?

The insurance and paid vacations are great and they're the only reason I don't want to quit. So my question is this.

What happens if i just completely slow down? Like show up everyday on time and follow all rules but just not give a :censored2: about how fast I'm going and more focus quality like taping up packages and good load quality. Is there absolutely anything management can do?

Look I don't care if you think im some pusillanimous ass millennial or whatever I just want some answers because with this tendonitis in my knees and an umbilical Hernia at only 26 its either I'm bailing or working at a pace I can tolerate.

Any responses i appreciate
I feel ya. Driving is worse that’s the the scary part. I honestly don’t know how I made it 35 years.

The Slowest Preloader

It was an accident.
Thank all of you for the reassuring responses. They were honestly better than i was expecting from this forum. I have my reasons for putting up with the bull:censored2: just like all of you.

I can tell you guys here joke around a lot but take safety seriously, and moving forward with this :censored2:ty company so will I.

upsmuzakphreek

Just give the coyote more rockets
Not everyone. Some of us actually enjoy the day to day challenges and watching the sups and managers jumping through hoops to make it all work. More entertainment then most reality TV shows.
One of the funniest things i ever saw on preload was one the dcappers piled some snow up on the belt that had come off the feeder into a foot tall snowman. Preload Supervisor pops out of truck and starts freaking as to why a foot tall snowman is cruising the belt and why the :censored2: is someone wasting time. Finally he throws it off the belt and towards the bay door. The guy who made it says loudly, "now its a waste of time", grabs a mop and starts cleaning up the safety hazard.

Daf

Don’t slow down with the intent to be a pos. However you may want to cut down to a pace where you can work safe and follow a few of the methods. Don’t fall into the trap of cutting corners to make an impossible number.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Following all the methods and working smart will help you have a log career and your body will thank you. Working for UPS for the long haul you need to have thick skin. If you can work by the methods, safe, and not let them get to you mentally you will dominate this place.

And smile. Tell them you are doing your best and any faster would be unsafe. Don’t talk back, yell, or get mad. Just smile and use the methods.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Ive been preloading for 2 years and I :censored2:ing hate it. Everyday is worse and worse and my supervisors are either bi polar smart-asses or hey I'm your buddy so you'll work fast for me right?

The insurance and paid vacations are great and they're the only reason I don't want to quit. So my question is this.

What happens if i just completely slow down? Like show up everyday on time and follow all rules but just not give a :censored2: about how fast I'm going and more focus quality like taping up packages and good load quality. Is there absolutely anything management can do?

Look I don't care if you think im some pusillanimous ass millennial or whatever I just want some answers because with this tendonitis in my knees and an umbilical Hernia at only 26 its either I'm bailing or working at a pace I can tolerate.

you want a serious answer? QUIT! life is too short.

go travel.do some couch surfing, go to ft. lauderdale and party all night and lay out at the beach all day. then go to mardi grah , then go out to california and hitch-hike up hwy 1 all the way to alaska. travel with the rainbow people, ride the freights, work a harvest or two with some mexican migrants , work at a carnival , go to stugis or daytona and hang out with bikers, drink heavily , love the one you're with , take chances.

then after 10 years marry a sugar mommy or daddy or scam the system. it's the american way. it doesn't matter , in 10 years the chinese will own us all.

The Slowest Preloader

It was an accident.
you want a serious answer? QUIT! life is too short.

go travel.do some couch surfing, go to ft. lauderdale and party all night and lay out at the beach all day. then go to mardi grah , then go out to california and hitch-hike up hwy 1 all the way to alaska. travel with the rainbow people, ride the freights, work a harvest or two with some mexican migrants , work at a carnival , go to stugis or daytona and hang out with bikers, drink heavily , love the one you're with , take chances.

then after 10 years marry a sugar mommy or daddy or scam the system. it's the american way. it doesn't matter , in 10 years the chinese will own us all.

Ok calm down ya damn hippy the question was can I fired for going slower than what my management team is used to

Atemoe

I quit, there are much better jobs with better benefits and retirement. No need to stress yourself out at UPS. I don't know if you're in California but apply to CDCR. I was at a weird point in my life with UPS and was making good money. But in California it didn't give me and the family the security to live comfortably.
So after 15 years of working there, I quit
I started at 21 and worked till I was 36. I got a job with the state as a correctional officer. The retirement is better, the benefits are better, the pay is way better and best of all; I'm not busting my ass picking up boxes or appeasing the secretary at the 20th floor in downtown Sacramento, with her latest printer paper shipment. I can work 8 hours a day and I'm done. Go back home and hang out. If I want overtime I get it.
I dunno why I wasted all that time at UPS when I should have been thinking about my future.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Ok calm down ya damn hippy the question was can I fired for going slower than what my management team is used to
ok. hope i don't have to say i told you so in 10 years.

i was lucky. was in feeder and liked it. did not start at ups until i was 38, doing all the things i mentioned above before. no regrets. now retired in good health and enjoying the heck out of it.

good luck.

for the life of me i just dont understand anyone that settles into a ups career right out of school without really living life first. think about it.

The Slowest Preloader

It was an accident.
Dude so yesterday was a complete mess cages on turbo when they were still packed management waited until after 9 to send me help and then today I walk in and one of my pt sups is doing a "work with" today with me. He stood there counting my pph and giving me useless tips.

My center manager even busted my balls because i let a cage go by (and it wasn't even last Rev) to tape an open package.

They ended up sending me home at 9:13 and made the drivers finish my job. I didnt touch a single irreg all day and there was a lot.

I wasn't even that worthless... 150 pph and excellent load quality. All my drivers commented and said their thanks

rickyb

how much do they pay you for preloading? i could only do a warehouse job for maybe 3 or 4 hours everyday. anything more than that sucks. do something you like / is more tolerable.

it sounds depressing. alot of people hate their jobs because capitalism centralizes power / decision making which means a few people make rules that everyone else hates.

theres other jobs out there. you should look into dual citizenships because you may be eligible based on your grandparents / parents.

El Correcto

god is dead
Dude so yesterday was a complete mess cages on turbo when they were still packed management waited until after 9 to send me help and then today I walk in and one of my pt sups is doing a "work with" today with me. He stood there counting my pph and giving me useless tips.

My center manager even busted my balls because i let a cage go by (and it wasn't even last Rev) to tape an open package.

They ended up sending me home at 9:13 and made the drivers finish my job. I didnt touch a single irreg all day and there was a lot.

I wasn't even that worthless... 150 pph and excellent load quality. All my drivers commented and said their thanks
Keep up the good work then, you make a mistake it happens. No reason to fear for your job and not do it properly to avoid harassment.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Work at your own pace. If you've gained seniority, their numbers mean nothing. Just learn to do the job the way you've been trained, and make that your everyday routine. I mean EVERYDAY. And repeat after me: I'm doing the best I can. Repeat as required.

And never let them get under your skin. Never let them draw you into a screaming match. That's what they want. This was the best advice an old-timer gave me. I used to scream and shout back at sups with the best of them. And it never did any good. Then the old-timer told me to keep quiet, and smile while they were yelling. I thought he was nuts, but I said I would try it. It was really amazing. They absolutely didn't know what to do when you wouldn't yell back. I would say things like, "That's interesting," "I'll have to try that," "I'll be darned."

And of course, "I'll do the best I can."

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
One of our slowest loaders always wore earbuds and when supes tried to yell at him he looked at them and 15 seconds later he pulled out the earbuds and with a really dumb look on his face asked them what they were saying until they threw up their hands and walked away. He then put his earbuds back in and continued working.
Dude, they cant keep part timers here. Do ya think theyll fire people who actually show up for work?

That dude knew how to play the game. Playing dumb always pays dividends.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That dude knew how to play the game. Playing dumb always pays dividends.
I always admired people like that. they just didnt give a damn. it took me a while to learn but you are exactly right.

if you want to drive them crazy????......don't give a dam ...or act like you don't.