I hate this place.

UPS Preloader

"I could care less" means you still have some "care" left so you, in fact, could care less.

"I couldn't care less" means you have zero "care" left so you, in fact, couldn't care less.

I know it's difficult.

Logically I should have used couldn’t, but in my case could is the correct word. If UPS up and disappeared, I would no longer care about load quality, so I could/actually would care even less.

Heavy Package

UPS sucks but I leave it at the gate and laugh on Fridays about how much they pay me to move cardboard, and when the medical bill summary comes with me owing $0.

I do not care one bit about UPS, it's strategy, brand image, new technology, etc. I am here to do a job well and go home. I care for my brothers who actually know what I am talking about because you have done the work inside the hub or out on road as well and get it.

If another company paid the same with the same benefits I could drive around in their truck with a pink flaccid penis on the side and I wouldn't care less.

UPS Preloader

UPS sucks but I leave it at the gate and laugh on Fridays about how much they pay me to move cardboard, and when the medical bill summary comes with me owing $0.

I do not care one bit about UPS, it's strategy, brand image, new technology, etc. I am here to do a job well and go home. I care for my brothers who actually know what I am talking about because you have done the work inside the hub or out on road as well and get it.

It’s sad that so many of us feel this way.

Heavy Package

It’s sad that so many of us feel this way.

You know what's sad?

1. The fact that another human being in a supervisory role expects someone else to do the amount of work that we get on a daily basis
2. The number of injury and comp claims that an employer allows as a part of "doing business"
3. The harassment that is tolerated from one person to another
4. The lack of empathy for time off or family time
5. The management of the company pushing us to 70 hour work weeks ANY time of the year
6. The lack of personal safety by forcing people to drive on roads in horrible weather conditions
7. The horrible working environment where lighting, ventilation, heating, cooling, water fountains / ice machines, bathrooms, are disgusting

This is ALL on management to fix and to change the corporate culture from the TOP DOWN and BOTTOM UP.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
WOW...one year.
I've got more miles in reverse than you've got going forward.
More power to you brother. I wasn't bragging, I'll get there one day at a time like everybody else. I was just pointing out everybody doesn't hate this job.

I didn't hate being a seasonal jumper, it was the great recession and I was happy to get some extra cash. I was happy as a hub rat and a TCD grabbing ever hour I could. Now I'm happy in feeders making close to 6 figures with a high school education.

It's not my dream job but god willing I'll ride this out for 28 more years and retire with a pension and a stacked 401k. Life's all about choices.... if the guy don't like it here, he should man up and move on.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Ive been preloading for 2 years and I :censored2:ing hate it. Everyday is worse and worse and my supervisors are either bi polar smart-asses or hey I'm your buddy so you'll work fast for me right?

The insurance and paid vacations are great and they're the only reason I don't want to quit. So my question is this.

What happens if i just completely slow down? Like show up everyday on time and follow all rules but just not give a :censored2: about how fast I'm going and more focus quality like taping up packages and good load quality. Is there absolutely anything management can do?

Look I don't care if you think im some pusillanimous ass millennial or whatever I just want some answers because with this tendonitis in my knees and an umbilical Hernia at only 26 its either I'm bailing or working at a pace I can tolerate.

Any responses i appreciate

First, get the hernia taken care.

I haven't read all the responses, but have you tried asking HR if you could move to Local Sort at night. It's much less physically demanding. If you don't have a good relationship with the center manager or any of the supervisors, make up something...Tell them one of your parents or grandparents is undergoing chemo treatments and you need to transport them to and from the hospital in the morning. Do not let them bully you. They run this place like a meat grinder, and then they want to audit your load quality or initial some bs about having a misload when your pull has bricked trucks and a driver complains after a nasty hemorrhoid flare-up.
The bigger issue working here is them cutting routes, or IE failing. Either way, management will rarely take responsibility

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ive been preloading for 2 years and I :censored2:ing hate it. Everyday is worse and worse and my supervisors are either bi polar smart-asses or hey I'm your buddy so you'll work fast for me right?

The insurance and paid vacations are great and they're the only reason I don't want to quit. So my question is this.

What happens if i just completely slow down? Like show up everyday on time and follow all rules but just not give a :censored2: about how fast I'm going and more focus quality like taping up packages and good load quality. Is there absolutely anything management can do?

Look I don't care if you think im some pusillanimous ass millennial or whatever I just want some answers because with this tendonitis in my knees and an umbilical Hernia at only 26 its either I'm bailing or working at a pace I can tolerate.

Any responses i appreciate
giphy.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If you don't have a good relationship with the center manager or any of the supervisors, make up something...Tell them one of your parents or grandparents is undergoing chemo treatments and you need to transport them to and from the hospital in the morning.

Yeah.... lying is always the best way to go.

trickpony1

I'll get there one day at a time like everybody else.

In the old days we had:
Cab over GMC Astro's with no power steering and no air ride on the cab.

You youngsters have power steering;
-air ride on the cab;
-tandem rear axles;
-conventional cabs meaning the driver sits, essentially, midway between the front and rear axles for the "rocking chair effect". In a cab over, every bump, pothole and expansion crack the front axle hits is transmitted up through the frame into the drivers spine and neck.

Your power steering means you are less likely to have two blown out shoulders when you retire.

Your automatic transmission means you will have a left knee when you retire.

You should be able to make it to retirement.

Staydryitsraining

In the old days we had:
Cab over GMC Astro's with no power steering and no air ride on the cab.

You youngsters have power steering;
-air ride on the cab;
-tandem rear axles;
-conventional cabs meaning the driver sits, essentially, midway between the front and rear axles for the "rocking chair effect". In a cab over, every bump, pothole and expansion crack the front axle hits is transmitted up through the frame into the drivers spine and neck.

Your power steering means you are less likely to have two blown out shoulders when you retire.

Your automatic transmission means you will have a left knee when you retire.

You should be able to make it to retirement.
But what about the robots?