I have a road test scheduled for Monday

GSOUPS

Just to let everyone know I passed, how I have no earthly idea. The lady that was testing me said I did great job checking mirrors, switching lanes, and being aware of my surroundings. What I need to work on is my shifting and backing. I was terrible at that, they gave me the sorriest piece of junk they could find it seemed like and I had the worst time finding 2nd gear, I grinded it so many times it's not even funny. Backing was a comedy act, I don't know how I'm going to get better at that. She told me to back into a spot and I was nowhere near. Anyone got any advice to how I'm supposed to get good at backing?

BrownArmy

...they gave me the sorriest piece of junk they could find it seemed like...

Nah, that's pretty much par for the course with this fleet. You get used to it...some are definitely better than others, and you were probably in a spare.

You'll also get used to backing...if you've never backed anything as large as a package car, it takes some time before you get used to the length of the vehicle and the swing of the back-end. It's really all about the mirrors and the back-up camera.

Depending on where you need to back and how much space you have, you'll get the feel of where to pull the package car into the space available in forward gear before you start your back (all the while fighting the manual steering).

Aside from practice, practice, practice, one hint about maneuvering these trucks is that when you need to make a three (or five) point turn, at the very last bit of motion while the truck is still moving (but you've backed off the gas), you can give yourself about a second to really crank the wheel in the direction it needs to go before you come to a complete stop- so much easier than trying to turn the wheel from a stopped position.

It becomes second nature when you do it dozens of times a day.

Practice, practice, practice!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nah, that's pretty much par for the course with this fleet. You get used to it...some are definitely better than others, and you were probably in a spare.

You'll also get used to backing...if you've never backed anything as large as a package car, it takes some time before you get used to the length of the vehicle and the swing of the back-end. It's really all about the mirrors and the back-up camera.

Depending on where you need to back and how much space you have, you'll get the feel of where to pull the package car into the space available in forward gear before you start your back (all the while fighting the manual steering).

Aside from practice, practice, practice, one hint about maneuvering these trucks is that when you need to make a three (or five) point turn, at the very last bit of motion while the truck is still moving (but you've backed off the gas), you can give yourself about a second to really crank the wheel in the direction it needs to go before you come to a complete stop- so much easier than trying to turn the wheel from a stopped position.

It becomes second nature when you do it dozens of times a day.

Practice, practice, practice!
Congrats on passing the road test GSOUPS.

Good post BA. Whether going forward or reverse, you want to be moving ever so slightly, otherwise you'll struggle to turn the wheel. Also with backing, you want to back slowly , because you will get a larger and more accurate turning radius (applies going fowards too). I hope to some day get a vehicle with power steering.....most of the above does not apply to vehicles with PS.

Backing is not easy to get down in the pkg car, but once you get it, it's very easy. Practice is the only way you are going to get experience and comfortable with it. Remember- drivers side back first, straight back second, and psgr side back only if you absolutely cannot do the other two and MUST back.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Just to let everyone know I passed, how I have no earthly idea. The lady that was testing me said I did great job checking mirrors, switching lanes, and being aware of my surroundings. What I need to work on is my shifting and backing. I was terrible at that, they gave me the sorriest piece of junk they could find it seemed like and I had the worst time finding 2nd gear, I grinded it so many times it's not even funny. Backing was a comedy act, I don't know how I'm going to get better at that. She told me to back into a spot and I was nowhere near. Anyone got any advice to how I'm supposed to get good at backing?

Congratulations on passing. Shifting and backing all come in time. When I first moved from the little NDA popsicle trucks to a P1000 I couldn't back to save my life, either. Learning to drive these trucks is an art-form, it doesn't come overnight.

GSOHUB

Was wondering all I needed to know for it. I've been a part timer for 14 years, I signed the temporary bid list they put up a couple of weeks ago. I've filled out the applications, got my DOT Physical done, and now the road test is next.

They are telling me I might not even get the job though because I'm a backup. They are only taking 5 drivers and I"m #6 on the list. They still want me to be prepared though and know the material and take the road test just in case they need me.

Congratulations on passing your test. I am in my 10th year of Part-time work. I keep telling myself a few more years. It is funny that when i started it was said to be a 10 year wait to become a driver, magically that number has shifted to around 15 years. Working around 60 hours a week, working two jobs for the last 9 years is starting to get really old.