I Love Fred

Glorifiedpackmule

Fred said he would pay me to do it... I'm sure he'll tell me tomorrow that he's not going to pay me split shift pay anymore for my 2 hour lunch breaks. Oh wait.... I got tricked!

vantexan

I don't get much in the way of direct "satisfaction" for all the writing I do in this forum - about the only satisfaction I do occasionally get is being told "You're right" - especially when I was told I was "wrong" prior. Thank you.

It does help to make the effort seem worth it. Given all of Fred's shills here, at times it seems like I'm writing on a wall in a forgotten corner of town with no one reading what is being written.

The main difference now is you were writing to encourage a union and now all you can really do is say you told us so. Once the corporation is fundamentally transformed there won't be much of a reason to fight them. Sort of like pulling along side a battleship in a rowboat and beating on it with your fists.

Ricochet1a

8 stops an hour? At ups,a stop is a stop.Even if it involves an 80 pc delivery of 70 lb boxes.
I see your point about getting slower as you get older,but even I never end up under 11 .

There are Express routes which only have about 8 stops per hour. Some of them are bulk routes, but there are many extended routes with only 8 stops per hour - these tend to be the routes which the older Express Couriers gravitate towards. There is less getting "in 'n out" of the trucks, the volume tends to be lighter or the customers are more willing to assist in getting the package out of the vehicle. People in rural areas (extended routes) tend to be a lot more "friendly" and lend a helping hand when it comes to large pieces, whereas in urban areas, getting a door held open for you is a rare treat.

Simple fact that if a Courier arrives at a customer's location with a 100 lb piece (in an extended route), the customer will more often than not offer some sort of assistance in getting the piece out of the truck, whereas a Courier arrives with the same piece in an urban area type route, the customer will point to where they want the package placed and watch the Courier until it is time to sign. The older Couriers know this all too well, so naturally stay away from the routes which they are left to fend for themselves.

snackdad

I have not seen this topic broached here but I would not be surprised if the traditional pension plan one day comes under attack. In some of that last PR media releases about FedEx's financial woes with Express it was mentioned that there are financial pressures on FedEx due to Pension commitments.

Here is an article from 2005 to give some perspective. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/business/18pensions.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Most people think, no FedEx would never do that. I would not put anything past them in their ruthless quest for profit. Goldilocks how would feel if your happy feel good company reneged on the promises it had made to you for the past 25+ years?

Ask a pilot at United how they feel about this, I know, I had to deliver the news to them in Overnight Letters in 2005.

Court approves termination of United Airlines pension plans

American Air pension battle may spread | Reuters

vantexan

I have not seen this topic broached here but I would not be surprised if the traditional pension plan one day comes under attack. In some of that last PR media releases about FedEx's financial woes with Express it was mentioned that there are financial pressures on FedEx due to Pension commitments.

Here is an article from 2005 to give some perspective. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/business/18pensions.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Most people think, no FedEx would never do that. I would not put anything past them in their ruthless quest for profit. Goldilocks how would feel if your happy feel good company reneged on the promises it had made to you for the past 25+ years?

Ask a pilot at United how they feel about this, I know, I had to deliver the news to them in Overnight Letters in 2005.

Court approves termination of United Airlines pension plans

American Air pension battle may spread | Reuters

They can only get out of their pension obligations by filing bankruptcy. As long as they're turning a profit they can't file bankruptcy.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A company has to be in dire financial straights to be granted permission by the government to terminate their pension obligations. We're talking on the brink of going out of business if they aren't granted the ability to turn their unfunded pension obligations over to the PBGC.

Not to stir the pot (much), but there again is reminder about the risks inherent in offering defined benefit pensions. The industries noted for their ample retirement pensions --steel, auto, and airline-- are the ones that have suffered disproportionately in the last 20 years. DB pensions offer payments to retirees for life under the assumption that the company will always generate enough revenue in the future to pay all of its bills (a relic of the post WWII economic boom) and that the retiree won't live too long. Those are some very expensive assumptions.

Goldilocks

The UPS drivers in my area make around 100k+. The average is around 78k. Sounds like some of you need to go knocking on UPS door for a job. For the time spent on this Forum you could have had an application filled out.

vantexan

This is not true---the PBGC only guarantees up to about $18K/year.

Actually the PBGC updates a table each year that states the maximum you'd receive based on your age at either the point of plan termination or when the company went into bankruptcy. For 2012 the most anyone could receive a month is for a 65 year old whose plan was terminated this year: $4653.41. If you were a high earner expecting $8000 a month you'd take a big hit.

I was 46 in 2008 when our plan terminated and their table for that year shows the max that I can receive a month if FedEx filed bankruptcy is $1164.38, which is slightly more than what I'd receive at 55 anyways, but less than my full pension at 60. But we all know FedEx isn't going to go down the toilet anytime soon so I'm not sweating it.

Goldilocks

And there are many (I'd dare venture most) women FedEx Couriers that couldn't lift 75lbs to save their souls - cold hard truth and most Couriers know this.

Keep on posting, you are making my arguments for me.

Sounds like someone discriminates against the WOMEN of Fedex

vantexan

The UPS drivers in my area make around 100k+. The average is around 78k. Sounds like some of you need to go knocking on UPS door for a job. For the time spent on this Forum you could have had an application filled out.

The UPSers will correct me but generally don't newhires there start by loading trucks, eventually moving into part-time driving jobs, landing a FT driver position 7-8 years later, if not longer? Surprised go getters like you and your husband didn't go for the brass ring over at UPS. 20 stops an hour, tossing around 75 lb boxes and 9 months pregnant to boot!

Goldilocks

The UPSers will correct me but generally don't newhires there start by loading trucks, eventually moving into part-time driving jobs, landing a FT driver position 7-8 years later, if not longer? Surprised go getters like you and your husband didn't go for the brass ring over at UPS. 20 stops an hour, tossing around 75 lb boxes and 9 months pregnant to boot!

Van, there are many many others at my station with similar stories. Many work hard with little complaining. The only complaints are about middle management and we have exterminated the bad seeds. We have no need to go to UPS, but others on here should explore their options, especially since they are on the verge of Poverty and expect FS to bring them cash on a silver platter. It takes 2 incomes to survive, the strong will survive and the weak will fall. JMO

Goldilocks

So? You have to start somewhere. Van, you are going to be ok working at Fedex.

vantexan

Van, there are many many others at my station with similar stories. Many work hard with little complaining. The only complaints are about middle management and we have exterminated the bad seeds. We have no need to go to UPS, but others on here should explore their options, especially since they are on the verge of Poverty and expect FS to bring them cash on a silver platter. It takes 2 incomes to survive, the strong will survive and the weak will fall. JMO

You've exterminated the bad seeds? No complaints? Have you ever seen "The Stepford Wives?"