I totally would not cross a picket line.

Mooseknuckle

Meant the customer counter not clerk. I was clerk on both shifts for a couple of years. Didn't have the seniority to get it but bid as back up position. I only got it because others couldn't be available 2 shifts 5 days a week. I only wanted it for the knowledge. Learning that job helped a lot for when I did my 30 as driver.

dudebro

The argument would probably go that the center would want the flexibility to send one of the CC clerks out to cover a heavy pickup. One of our inside clerks used to maintain a DOT for this reason - he only had 5-6 hours of work, so he'd get a few pickups to make 8.

Don't know whether this violates any "in classification" language locally or not.

F

Frankie's Friend

The argument would probably go that the center would want the flexibility to send one of the CC clerks out to cover a heavy pickup. One of our inside clerks used to maintain a DOT for this reason - he only had 5-6 hours of work, so he'd get a few pickups to make 8.

Don't know whether this violates any "in classification" language locally or not.
It's not in the bid descriptions for these jobs except one 22.3 to drive anything off the lot.
Failing to staff the operation with enough drivers doesnt mean they can jump classifications and change bids to cover package car work.

F

Frankie's Friend

Our Center manager can't blow his nose without asking Earth City (St. Louis) let alone post a job bid. All of our bids are sent to district HQ for final selection.
Heck, recently he posted a bid in another center in our local allowing part timers to sign up to cover feeders!

We had a local hearing in our building at about the same time as that crap posting and he told the labor manager that he talked to our steward and "the steward, said we could cover feeders with part time employees" (since feeder coverage was scarce) and the steward, who was present, said "Absolutely Not!" and they dropped it.
The center manager was the one that changed the feeder coverage bid in the other building without approval from labor and he supposedly had to retract the bid.
This is a cluster but so fitting considering our local representation.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Speaking of crossing picket lines, the teachers over here are on strike. They are striking even though they are still under a contractual agreement for another year. They want raises, but arent willing to work through their current contract before striking. Parents are getting angry... including myself. If they bring in scab teachers. I will cross their picket line to take my kid to school.

Teachers don’t deserve a raise ?

over9five

Staff member
They do. After they complete their current contract. What is the point of a contractual agreement, if it isnt going to be followed?
And people wonder why todays kids feel so entitled! They are teaching their students that just because they agreed to something under contract, they can still try crying their way out..

Brownnblue

I answered that question in 1997 when I had 2 school age kids and a wife to support. Now the kids are grown and I am eligible for Social Security and a full Pension and could make more being retired then being a wage slave. I just enjoy the job.
I had a wife and two school-age children during the 97 strike as well. I picked up two jobs to help support them, one of which I really, really liked. It made going back that much more difficult.

I had a wife and two school-age children during the 97 strike as well. I picked up two jobs to help support them, one of which I really, really liked. It made going back that much more difficult.
Having a high paying job almost always comes at a high personal price. The man who enjoys his work will never regret his life.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
I've brought this up before but I like how it was done in the day. The sit down auto strike in 1937 at a Body by Fisher plant. They just sat around their work stations, slept there basically lived there to prevent scabs from working till the strike ended.
1230-united-auto-workers-sit-down-strike.jpg