Strike Picket line-what can and we cannot do

Its_a_me

Whatever Jimmy Jr.

I am done trying to make a * understand what a giveback contract looks like.

Go hug your role model Hoffa and celebrate the contract that was one concession after another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever Jimmy Jr.

I am done trying to make a * understand what a giveback contract looks like.

Go hug your role model Hoffa and celebrate the contract that was one concession after another.
FP6bcakXcsYiQ.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Its private property...not a damn thing PD can do about it..at least in my state.
Not sure where ops located. If police are called here they can respond. But your response is correct for a particular city limit where I’m located.

Shorts365

GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!! GIVEBACK!!!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Not sure where ops located. If police are called here they can respond. But your response is correct for a particular city limit where I’m located.
They can respond, but unless there is a violation of some type they are just refereeing...here they don't even bother coming.

K20A

It’s gonna be interesting working the night shift on July 31st. Do night feeder guys have to return the trucks to the company, or can they just park them legally and call an Uber?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
There was a church about 1/4 mile from my old building. They allowed us to park in their parking lot and use their bathrooms. We had different drivers who used their personal vehicles to shuttle strikers between the church and picket line. The union actually furnished a portapotty and parked it on the right of way. The company called the police claiming the john was blocking scabs' and gypsies' vision coming out of the building. It was moved to UPS's satisfaction. UPS had supervision recording the picket line 24/7.
Oh they’re gonna be watching.

I asked a few stewards what are the penalties for striking and possible repercussions from doing so and did not get a straight answer. I'll have to escalate my question/concern but will be on the lookout here if anyone can offer some good advice.
I’m a steward and was on the line in 97. Our center was small and low energy but held tight. Our mgmt team were all :censored2:s.
During the strike they tried to insinuate to the more active picketers they would be fired after the strike. Not true.
What DID happen was a lot of route cuts and layoffs, far fewer favors from mgmt (even to their favorites), and more hostility. But eventually the volume returned, and within a couple of weeks, everyone seem to be back at work making too much overtime.

The 9.5 protection at that time was pretty weak and management just ignored it for years after the strike. Get ready to push hard and stand firm to defend that after the strike.

Also, be prepared to stand firm in defending your seniority rights, your bid rights, your guaranteed eight hour day and other guarantees. All of that. Management will be very tempted or pushed into cutting corners every way they can. They certainly were in late 97.

Because we were still a private company, where the company was owned by the management team, a lot of them took the strike personally. In the more corporate present environment, maybe it will be less so in that regard. Either way, they all own a lot of stock, and the price will probably bounce around so while it’s down, they may be nervous and angry.

Help the part-timers understand their rights, especially after the strike. They will be pushed around a lot and most of them don’t realize what protections they have.

I would expect the company to slow walk a lot of grievances. Expect it to take many months to get yours resolved, even with a good active local.