If you get written up multiple times, can you get fired at UPS?

FedexExEmployee

At Fedex, you could get fired if, for example, you get 3 letters in the one year.

Examples:
If you don't make your on-road goals three months in a row, that's a letter.
If you get into a "preventable" accident, that's a letter.
If you get caught not wearing your seatbelt, that's a letter.
If you forget and leave some packages in your truck overnight, that's a letter.
If you "falsify" that's a letter (or you could get fired), etc, etc......

What happens when you get letters? Can it lead to you getting fired? If so, how many?

BURMDPsupe

At Fedex, you could get fired if, for example, you get 3 letters in the one year.

Examples:
If you don't make your on-road goals three months in a row, that's a letter.
If you get into a "preventable" accident, that's a letter.
If you get caught not wearing your seatbelt, that's a letter.
If you forget and leave some packages in your truck overnight, that's a letter.
If you "falsify" that's a letter (or you could get fired), etc, etc......

What happens when you get letters? Can it lead to you getting fired? If so, how many?

Depending upon the atmosphere in your center, usually the supervisors/managers will follow the "Progressive Discipline" model:

1st infraction - talk with
2nd infraction - warning letter
3rd infraction - 1 day suspension
4th infraction - 3 day suspension
5th infraction - 5 day suspension
6th infraction - termination

* I'm using the same infraction (let's say tardiness) throughout the entire process.

M-

FedexExEmployee

That's interesting. I thought it would be more difficult.
Isn't that supposed to be one of the perks of having a union?
I thought you guys/gals could get away with plenty without worrying about that.
Hasn't it become more easy (to be fired) as of late?

How about on-road goals? If not met, could that lead to letters/getting fired?

brownrodster

What he is leaving out is that you have to get written up / multiple letters for the same thing to eventually get fired. YOu could get 15 letters in a year all for things that have nothing to do with each other and you are fine.

nvm, I see where he noted the progressive dicipline was for the same infraction repeated.

As long as you are trying and not stealing time then the union doesn't recognize the companies numbers. Can't get fired for repeatedly missing production goals. Don't even get written up or anything. Maybe a manager will ride with you to see if there's something you can do better.

Pollocknbrown

Depending upon the atmosphere in your center, usually the supervisors/managers will follow the "Progressive Discipline" model:

1st infraction - talk with
2nd infraction - warning letter
3rd infraction - 1 day suspension
4th infraction - 3 day suspension
5th infraction - 5 day suspension
6th infraction - termination

* I'm using the same infraction (let's say tardiness) throughout the entire process.

M-

HA, 6 times? a guy i work with could have been canned 30 times over last year if thats the progression my hub followed for firing someone. He was late honest to got atleast 160 times last year (think it was like 171 or something like that). He gets reamed out and chewed out each and every day to for it, i dont know why he doesnt quit, he says he hates the place.

FedexExEmployee

What he is leaving out is that you have to get written up / multiple letters for the same thing to eventually get fired. YOu could get 15 letters in a year all for things that have nothing to do with each other and you are fine.

nvm, I see where he noted the progressive dicipline was for the same infraction repeated.

As long as you are trying and not stealing time then the union doesn't recognize the companies numbers. Can't get fired for repeatedly missing production goals. Don't even get written up or anything. Maybe a manager will ride with you to see if there's something you can do better.

That sounds more like it.

At Fedex, 3 strikes (in the same year) and you're out. Period.

There was a courier who was with the company for 30 years. Never got into an accident, but on his 30th year he got into two accidents within a few months. He had to go on the rest of the year worried about getting into an accident and getting fired. So, he took every sick day he had during the snowy season. Only at Fedex....

HazMatMan

HA, 6 times? a guy i work with could have been canned 30 times over last year if thats the progression my hub followed for firing someone. He was late honest to got atleast 160 times last year (think it was like 171 or something like that). He gets reamed out and chewed out each and every day to for it, i dont know why he doesnt quit, he says he hates the place.
Remember, there are always exceptions to the rule.

rod

Retired 22 years
my experience with UPS was that you "could get fired for ANYTHING".:happy2:
I should of added that even though they seem to fire you for anything your chances of getting your job back is about 99.9 %. It's just another tool they use to keep the troops running scared

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At FedEx, if they want you gone, it will be "arranged" by management to make you history. They can pretty much write you up for anything they want, anytime they want to do it. Your only protection is yourself. If you're a member of a protected class it's much different, and you'll be handled with kid gloves unless you are criminally stupid.
Of course you can GFT it (Guaranteed ****ed Treatment), or file an Open Door (Don't let the open door hit you in the ass on the way out) complaint, but anyone who's worked there more than about 3 mins knows what a joke these programs are.
The smartest thing a FedEx employee can do is to simply forget about "progressive discipline", GFT, and Open Door, and consult an attorney. Walk in to your next management discussion regarding unfair discipline with your lawyer's card and a letter, and the matter will be dropped like a rock unless it's a very serious offense. The moment you walk out, they are on the line to Legal in Memphis, and 90% of the time Legal will tell management to back-off. I've known plenty of people who have done it, and it works very well. Best $150.00 they have ever spent.

brazenbrown

At FedEx, if they want you gone, it will be "arranged" by management to make you history. They can pretty much write you up for anything they want, anytime they want to do it. Your only protection is yourself. If you're a member of a protected class it's much different, and you'll be handled with kid gloves unless you are criminally stupid.
Of course you can GFT it (Guaranteed ****ed Treatment), or file an Open Door (Don't let the open door hit you in the ass on the way out) complaint, but anyone who's worked there more than about 3 mins knows what a joke these programs are.
The smartest thing a FedEx employee can do is to simply forget about "progressive discipline", GFT, and Open Door, and consult an attorney. Walk in to your next management discussion regarding unfair discipline with your lawyer's card and a letter, and the matter will be dropped like a rock unless it's a very serious offense. The moment you walk out, they are on the line to Legal in Memphis, and 90% of the time Legal will tell management to back-off. I've known plenty of people who have done it, and it works very well. Best $150.00 they have ever spent.

Sure seems like it would just be easier to do your job! :slap:

95% of the time the ones who need to lawyer up are the ones not doing their jobs.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Aside from theft, assault, or something very serious;

the only way to get fired is to file grievances; and possibly win them!

Management will bend and break the contract and it's employees here at UPS. This is nothing new. The deal is, if you make good with your management and bend the rules and "favors", you won't be a target.

Once you stand up for yourself and your rights and what is "correct", then you're just another duck lined up on the pond! and You will likely be fired by the end of the year. management will persue this to the bitter end..

So the double edge sword exists. fly under the radar and bend but don't break for them, or stand up for your rights as a union employee and face the UPS guillotine...

Pick your poison!

F

FLupser09

This is why fedex stock continues to grow and ups continues to sink. Poor employees that UPS cant fire. Thats what I hate about the union. 5 year preloader here and ive worked with a guy who has missed every monday, NO Call No Show everytime since july of 2007. Been fired and always comes back. WHY???