I'm new to fedex

It will be fine

Numbnuts IWBF has never experienced the thrill of being expected to do 15 SPH, a pile of DG or International, or actually driving for a living.

To him, UPS and FedEx jobs are analogous to delivering pizzas for Domino's.
Are you even capable of making a point without personal insults? My three year old has better manners.
15 sph is slow for my guys. That's the minimum. Try doing that after being an ops manager all morning while doing the job of dispatcher all day Then throw a breakdown two towns over on top of that. But you're right express has time commits (so do we) so it's a whole different world than Ground. I couldn't possibly handle that. You have no clue.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Perhaps we could all agree that there's likely more to everyone else's job than meets the eye, and we all work pretty hard for whatever bread we make.

....but hell, what fun would that be???
Carry on!

:fightings:

vantexan

Are you even capable of making a point without personal insults? My three year old has better manners.
15 sph is slow for my guys. That's the minimum. Try doing that after being an ops manager all morning while doing the job of dispatcher all day Then throw a breakdown two towns over on top of that. But you're right express has time commits (so do we) so it's a whole different world than Ground. I couldn't possibly handle that. You have no clue.
The point is that you keep saying Express is no big deal, anyone can do it. But many have come and gone because most don't want to do what's demanded of them. You're Ground, correct me if I'm wrong but whatever comes in on the truck that morning gets unloaded and sorted by your handlers. Then the drivers come in and get their manifests and get on their way. True? At Express we don't know, especially in winter, from day to day whether we'll start on time as plane is often late. While they'll give us more time to make P1 del's if the plane is late we'll still be expected to get our work done and be back in time to get outbound loaded and truck launched on time. And we're the ones in many stations that are unloading all that freight in the morning. I unloaded cans in my late 40's for almost 4 years, in high heat with humidity and in the cold. And in many stations the couriers handle the reload too. I wasn't aware Ground had time commitments, do you do 1030 like most of the country for Express? I've no doubt many Ground drivers work hard, but I don't think it's the same animal Express is.

P.S. When I was 27 I delivered 19 stops in 24 mins in a 36 story building I had never been in. Many of us back then worked very hard because we thought FedEx was a company that would take care of us if we took care of it. I wonder how many Ground drivers go that extra mile for $12-$14hr and no benefits?

Last edited:

It will be fine

We have late trailers like you have late planes. Dispatch can be anywhere between 7 and 9:30. The trucks "should" be loaded for us, but FedEx doesn't care if 100 pieces are just stacked outside. They expect the drivers to finish their job. On my routes the trucks need to be mostly empty by the time they start pickups because they will fill up. The time commits I have are particular daily stops, so it's not random stops like you'll get. And I'd say minimum pay for drivers in my station is closer to $16/hr, not many benefits offered. My highest paid guys get paid by the stop and piece and they go hard to make a lot of money. They'll go the extra mile for me not for FedEx, but I rarely ask them to.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

No. I'm not capable of keeping from insulting someone like you. You're an idiot who has no idea what they are talking about. Please go away.

MassWineGuy

UPS drivers work harder AND are driven much harder by mgt. For many, the Teamster contract is the only reason they tolerate it, which is totally understandable. Do I wish I made $34/hour? Sure. Would I want to put up with all the bs and abuse? No way. At my station, at least, I'm well and I enjoy going to work. So far, anyway.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
UPS drivers work harder AND are driven much harder by mgt. For many, the Teamster contract is the only reason they tolerate it, which is totally understandable. Do I wish I made $34/hour? Sure. Would I want to put up with all the bs and abuse? No way. At my station, at least, I'm well and I enjoy going to work. So far, anyway.

Ahh, the "honeymoon phase". This too shall pass.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

dezguy

I would like to know if a more educated employee is a better employee. I've met plenty of well educated people who couldn't find their way out of a closet with the door open.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
"Is that difficult to do?"...I'm going to imagine it might be. MFE may have plenty of experience, but also I believe him to be getting a bit long in the tooth.

I don't imagine UPS is exactly chomping at the bit to hire folks in their 50s as new drivers (either from within or outside the company). And coming from so many years at FedEx, they're going to know he's been beaten like a rented mule. They going to want to take on that liability? If I were a hiring manager, my next statement would be "send in the next applicant please"

Age discrimination laws be-damned. We live in the real world.

MassWineGuy

You have a masters and still sling boxes? Good call. No wonder you're so disgruntled, what a waste.

Any reasonable, objective person reading my posts would see that I'm far from disgruntled.

As for the stupid and classist statement above, why does someone with a good, formal education need a white collar job to live a satisfying life?

Formal education at any stage at any time is a good thing. Even someone with your handicaps could benefit from taking some courses. Perhaps you could start slowly by getting a GED.