Improper Use of Speedy Dry "On Topic"

Integrity

Binge Poster
The formal procedure is to simply follow the flow charts given to you. Basically, if it's an unknown, you first test PH to find whether it's acid or base, then use sodium bicarbonate if needed to balance PH.
Are you saying that there are no hazardous substances that are nether acids nor bases?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Had a bottle of bleech spill on me and 10+ boxes of surepost.
Tossed all those mofos outside, washed my hands, kept working.

Add to the list of perfumes, barbeque seasonings, tiny little mystery pellets, oil and cat litter that also broke open on me in the short time I've worked here.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Had a bottle of bleech spill on me and 10+ boxes of surepost.
Tossed all those mofos outside, washed my hands, kept working.

Add to the list of perfumes, barbeque seasonings, tiny little mystery pellets, oil and cat litter that also broke open on me in the short time I've worked here.
Nothing better than straight bleach to dry up poison ivy.

km3

Now that is more like what I'm used to seeing in DMP clerks and designated responders.

I do believe a bit more integrity can be employed by this work group when cleaning spills.

Just sayin.

They're all jaded because hazmat responders work the most hours out of any PTer who doesn't drive. And they never get any help.

That is arguable.

Improper spill clean up is a very serious concern.

It is now and it has significant historical importance in the Company's past.(90's)

My supervisors try to sweep it under the rug. I've had to take a stand more than once by shutting the belt off and telling sups nothing moves until hazmat is here.

But there are other issues. My building is an OSHA wet dream. Pallets within 36 inches of electrical equipment, blocked exits, blocked bathrooms, egress, egress, egress. There's a reason we failed two Keter audits in a row last summer.

Any machinery or vehicle known to be leaking is supposed to be repaired in a timely manner.

Good luck with that. Most of the workforce doesn't have enough spine to say "I'm not working with or around that until it is fixed."

FEGuy

Are you saying that there are no hazardous substances that are nether acids nor bases?
That's correct. It is either acidic, neutral, or base. Approx 0-5 is acidic, 6-8 pretty neutral, 9-14 basic. Everything.
Acids are disposed a certain way, bases another way. That's science for ya.

Integrity

Binge Poster
That's correct. It is either acidic, neutral, or base. Approx 0-5 is acidic, 6-8 pretty neutral, 9-14 basic. Everything.
Acids are disposed a certain way, bases another way. That's science for ya.
What about poisons?

Acid or base?

Oxidizers?

Acid or base?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Makes no difference. They are either acid or base for disposal purposes. Like I said, talk to a first responder or PE person in you facility. None of this is secret.

Mercury and radioactive material aren't treated as acidic or basic for disposal purposes.

If it's neutral already you don't have to neutralize it first. Just absorb it and bag it. pH is a measurement of positive and negative hydroxy ions in a substance. No hydroxy ions ought to give a neutral reading.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Now that is more like what I'm used to seeing in DMP clerks and designated responders.

I do believe a bit more integrity can be employed by this work group when cleaning spills.

Just sayin.

Sounds like you should volunteer to be a designated responder, set the standard, show 'em how it's done.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sounds like you should volunteer to be a designated responder, set the standard, show 'em how it's done.
The standards are already set and thorough.

What is needed is enforcement of the procedure each and every day, not just on audit days.

Employees who insist on integrity when it comes to the performance of their jobs as designated responders will go a long way to correct this.

Also, if all employees insist on integrity when complying with

Don't touch. Leave the area. Notify a supervisor

then each an every spill will be cleaned up in a timely, and correct way.

Just ideas for improvement, no offense intended.