Improper Use of Speedy Dry "On Topic"

km3

What is needed is enforcement of the procedure each and every day, not just on audit days.

It won't happen. Management sees compliance with the rules as a hindrance to them hitting their arbitrary numbers. As much as they like to threaten discipline for failure to follow certain methods, they really just want employees to work in a manner that brings the sort down sooner and gets people off the clock.

Hourly employees have their eye firmly planted on the door from the moment they walk in, and in general, save for a few exceptions, will do whatever it takes, and cut whichever corners they have to, to get out of here sooner.

It's sad, but in my hub at least, it's the current state of affairs...and has been since I was hired.

Don't touch. Leave the area. Notify a supervisor

then each an every spill will be cleaned up in a timely, and correct way.

I agree. I'll take a stand. I'm even petty enough to shut the belts down and secure them and threaten not to turn them back on until spills are cleaned. But for the reason stated above, most employees won't do it. If there's a spill, they'll work "around" it.

john chesney

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

It has been brought to the attention of Integrity that there has been frequent misuse of spill absorbent in some operations.

I have been informed that on many occasions spill absorbent was observed on the floor to apparently clean up some spill and it was just left there, as a result it was walked on, driven on and just pulverized into the floor. This is clearly misuse and improper
use of speed dry and improper spill clean up procedures.

Have you experienced this?

Thoughts or opinions?

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.
I wish I had this problem. I was getting ass raped everyday at ups the last thing on my mind was speedy dry

FEGuy

This is not accurate.

There is a difference.
No, sorry, you are mistaken. A substance, including in your example things such as poisons or oxidizers, if they are "unknown" substances, they get
a pH test, are identified as acidic or basic (or neutral) and the appropriate DMP clean up procedure is used.
I am not sure why I have to keep telling you to ask your PE dept your questions. They own the DMP program. The procedures are written. The materials exist. There are manuals, flowcharts, posters documenting these things. Get as educated as you want to be about it. It is not a secret.

FEGuy

Mercury and radioactive material aren't treated as acidic or basic for disposal purposes.

If it's neutral already you don't have to neutralize it first. Just absorb it and bag it. pH is a measurement of positive and negative hydroxy ions in a substance. No hydroxy ions ought to give a neutral reading.
That's correct. Mercury has a very specific disposal procedure, as does radioactive material. My response was in reference to "unknown" substances.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I wish I had this problem. I was getting ass raped everyday at ups the last thing on my mind was speedy dry
That is something you may want to report.

I agree that addressing your problem should take a priority over improper spill clean up procedures.

Come back to this problem when you get your situation resolved.

Good luck and be well.

Integrity

Binge Poster
No, sorry, you are mistaken. A substance, including in your example things such as poisons or oxidizers, if they are "unknown" substances, they get
a pH test, are identified as acidic or basic (or neutral) and the appropriate DMP clean up procedure is used.
I am not sure why I have to keep telling you to ask your PE dept your questions. They own the DMP program. The procedures are written. The materials exist. There are manuals, flowcharts, posters documenting these things. Get as educated as you want to be about it. It is not a secret.
The point of my disagreement is simply a ph test does not test for hazardous material it only test if a substance is an acid, base, or neutral.

Not whether it is a hazardous material or not.

I don't need to ask.

john chesney

That is something you may want to report.

I agree that addressing your problem should take a priority over improper spill clean up procedures.

Come back to this problem when you get your situation resolved.

Good luck and be well.
No body cares they just take a number and line up getting ready for there turn.

john chesney

Congrats ,,, this is post of the week !!!
I had 2 different doctors tell me I was going to die and tried to put me on disability before I retired. I said no I’m finishing like a boss and I did. They told me the stress of that place could trigger a fatal heart attack after I filed federal and state charges on them. I don’t give a flying :censored2: about what’s in or how they use speedy dry.

john chesney

I care.

I am sorry for you, for the conditions that you have described.
Thank you and really I hope we can all get to the point where out problems are speedy dry, we’re out of toilet paper,I’m having a bad hair day. I’m telling you I was hanging on just trying to stay alive

Integrity

Binge Poster
I had 2 different doctors tell me I was going to die and tried to put me on disability before I retired. I said no I’m finishing like a boss and I did. They told me the stress of that place could trigger a fatal heart attack after I filed federal and state charges on them. I don’t give a flying :censored2: about what’s in or how they use speedy dry.
I probably would feel stress if I was suffering as you have described.

Then having to watch your whole work group line up to suffer in the same way.

Glad to hear you filed charges.

What were the charges?