Inside deal?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is an interesting situation currently going on in my center. Our assistant BA (Sideburns) is supposedly going to spend 60 days training in feeders and then will retire with a full Teamster pension. From what I was told this morning, he was 2 months shy of getting his 30 years before he went to work for the union. We were talking about this before the PCM and while we don't have a problem with this we all wondered if this was some kind of inside deal between the union and UPS. We also wondered if any grievances were traded or thrown out in order to make this deal. It just doesn't feel right.

This is nothing against Sideburns. He is a nice guy. His wife has some serious medical issues and perhaps he is doing this so that he can spend more time with her. We just wonder if this is on the up and up.

There is an interesting situation currently going on in my center. Our assistant BA (Sideburns) is supposedly going to spend 60 days training in feeders and then will retire with a full Teamster pension. From what I was told this morning, he was 2 months shy of getting his 30 years before he went to work for the union. We were talking about this before the PCM and while we don't have a problem with this we all wondered if this was some kind of inside deal between the union and UPS. We also wondered if any grievances were traded or thrown out in order to make this deal. It just doesn't feel right.

This is nothing against Sideburns. He is a nice guy. His wife has some serious medical issues and perhaps he is doing this so that he can spend more time with her. We just wonder if this is on the up and up.
I would say it is possible there was an inside deal cut just based on what we have seen UPS and the teamsters pull from time to time. I do know that there have been termination trades from our local. Maybe this isn't anything shady just luck.

JonFrum

Does Sideburns also qualify for a second pension from the generous Teamsters Affiliates Pension Plan for his time as an employee of the Local? Or will his NYS 30-year pension be his only one?

brett636

I wondered about the same thing myself regarding a local BA who deals with mostly part timers. He used to work in my building till he became a BA, and is now working a pretty sweet job inside our building due to him needing to fulfill pension obligations. Made me wonder who's grievance got swept under the rug for that deal.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Firstly,I am 99.995% certain you are hearing a false rumor. Have you ever heard of a union job that has no pension benefits? The principle officers of the local would have the same pension plan as the people they represent. If thats not the case that would be very poor planning on behalf of your local.

Secondly, when an employee is elected to a Union office their job with UPS is retained until they retire,resign or return. There would be no reason for a side deal to be made.

PACNW

Firstly,I am 99.995% certain you are hearing a false rumor. Have you ever heard of a union job that has no pension benefits? The principle officers of the local would have the same pension plan as the people they represent. If thats not the case that would be very poor planning on behalf of your local.

Secondly, when an employee is elected to a Union office their job with UPS is retained until they retire,resign or return. There would be no reason for a side deal to be made.

My thoughts exactly. He retains his seniority upon return. He likely has his choice of any OPEN bid position if he has that many years in.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When a UPS'er gets elected to Union office, they are considered to be on a leave of absence and continue to accrue seniority though out their stay in office.
At any time they can resign, or be voted out of office and dovetail back into their craft and resume their original place on the seniority list.
There is nothing shady about that scenario provided he isn't changing classifications ahead of a senior employee.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Maybe he just wants to retire as a UPSer. Kind of like a football player who signs a 1 day contract so he can retire with a his former team. (Don't give it any thought Favre, ain't gonna happen).

JonFrum

This is the Contract language that keeps a union official's UPS job open, so he can return to it if the occasion arises.

ARTICLE 16. LEAVE OF ABSENCE
Section 1.
"A Union member elected or appointed to serve as a Union official shall be granted a leave of absence during the period of such employment, without discrimination or loss of seniority rights, and without pay."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought I had said that he never worked for UPS. He had worked for several Teamster trucking companies before going to work for the union. He is a few months shy of his 30 years.