Insurance for girlfriend....

UPSmeoff

So your saying it could be possible if i had a boyfriend.
Where did that come from?

You are positive that it is a definite no.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not in the eyes of our Lord and UPS (or is it UPS and our Lord--I get the order confused).

You're not married--you cannot add her to your insurance.

If she were a he and you were "domestic partners" you may be able to add "him" to your insurance. Sucks, don't it? (Pun partially intended).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Now, I am not familiar with common law marriages but I know in some states if you live together with someone for a set number of years than you are considered married.

Hopefully Trplnkl will read this and be able to help us as I think Texas is a common law state.

drewed

Shankman

You are positive that it is a definite no.

what do they call it umm life partners? UPS bennies reconize same sex unions
i know you dont need a paper to say your committed to eachother but UPS does if you want her to have your insurance

BleedBrown33

Due to anti-discrimination laws there is a clause for "signifigant others". Meaning same sex live-in partners. The conventional live-in relationship you may not obtain coverage for a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend.

John19841

We do not need a piece of paper to say that we are committed to each other.

Nope, but you do for insurance

I'm in the same situation. My daughter's covered, but her mother (who I've been living with for 4 years now, is not.

And the comment about how if it was his boyfriend he was trying to get benefits for really makes me upset. If it's two guys (or girls) together they'd piss and moan and claim discrimination etc until people did the "politically correct" thing and allowed the same sex partner to be covered. But if I complained, I'd be told to get married or shut up. But anyway, that's a topic for a whole 'nother discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

sendagain

If she needs your medical insurance, how much longer will it be before she also needs part of your pension as well? Something to think about before she lawyers up.

sendagain

Like he said, he doesn't need a piece of paper to be committed. Maybe some judge will see it his way some day also, making sure his sweetie gets her share. The legal system seems to keep moving that way.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Hopefully Trplnkl will read this and be able to help us as I think Texas is a common law state.

Yes, Texas is a common law state. I was born Texan and raised Yankee. What a combination.....:funny:

Back to the poster's question....it might depend on your state. For example, in Colorado I think it was her name had to be on a joint bill (water, heat, etc). This same subject came up in my DENCO orientation 2 yrs ago. The above was the answer. Hope this helps....-Rocky

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sucks, don't it? (Pun partially intended).

almost hard to believe this is a real question...

upsmeoff, whats wrong, afraid of a commitment?

as for a live in getting a piece of your pie without that paper....while the paper does make it easier, she can still clean your clock without it. and a he can just as well

as for insurance, in most cases no, not without the paperwork. of course yould always claim you addopted her.......

d

browndevil

Nope, but you do for insurance

I'm in the same situation. My daughter's covered, but her mother (who I've been living with for 4 years now, is not.

And the comment about how if it was his boyfriend he was trying to get benefits for really makes me upset. If it's two guys (or girls) together they'd piss and moan and claim discrimination etc until people did the "politically correct" thing and allowed the same sex partner to be covered. But if I complained, I'd be told to get married or shut up. But anyway, that's a topic for a whole 'nother discussion.
Which is why same sex marriage should be legal.