Is a suspension or warning letter required before being fired for attendance?

bbsam

Staff member
We have an employee who's been late over 70 times in the past year. It's all OK tho, because the driver lives an alternate lifestyle.
Tell your manager that you are gay, and he is harassing because of your gayness, and you will report him to the ethics hotline if he ever brings up your tardiness again.
But be ready to prove it because UPS management is often not getting along well with the spouse at home. You may find yourself a new "best friend". In fact, if you're good, you may find your career path takes you farther and faster (and in ways you never thought of) than you believe possible.

Good luck.

Ghost in the Darkness

I remember the part time days at UPS and working another job. Its a tough balancing act with getting enough sleep. Maybe get a few co-worker friends who may be in a similar situation and do a daily wake up call for each other at a specific time after your/their alarms have gone off and you should be up and around getting ready for work. You can work out the details with them.

brownIEman

3 straight no call/no show can get you fired with out a warning or suspension on file where I worked. Any other dependability infractions required progressive discipline.

brownIEman

They used to work with the students at one time. I really don't understand why they don't do it anymore.

Where I was it ended because of Union involvement. Enough non students complained about the students being accommodated that the BAs bitched to the labor manager incessantly and called it side agreements in violation of the contract. The labor manager didn't have the stones to back local management and the students and got tired of the bitching from the BAs. Next thing you know, edict comes down that the accommodations have to stop.

ibleedbrown

he does know my situation but i never told him it gets too much to handle at times. i can maybe try to talk to him and see if there is any flexibility. i care about my co workers i consider many of them close friends and i dont want to leave them understaffed on days, we work on very short staffing. its all very corporate as we all know. for now on im just gonna keep pushing through and going to work. i am getting my associates by the summer and i plan on leaving UPS by then. its been way too long doing labor and i am of sleight build. excuse after excuse, i know, but its just the honest truth. my back hurts. my state of mind isnt the greatest either, working night shift brings my mental stability down. as long as i dont get fired by the summer ill be in great shape, lol, so no more missing days. i have 2 more vacations between then as well

you only have a few more months to go. you have two vacations left, you can squeeze a few call ins in there before they fire you. talk to your union steward, there has to be documented progressive discipline before they can fire you, something like a talk w management w steward present/warning followed by write ups with union steward present etc. etc.

in the mean time i would man up and eat about double the calories you have been eating along with some vitamins. sounds like you need to ramp up your attitude a bit, the finish line is right around the corner!

good luck! this last push will help your work ethic when you enter your career path.

brownIEman

That's because management there understands the definition of job abandonment.

Agreed, yes we did.
Several members of the workforce and Union reps, not so much. It was still fought by some reps. As I mentioned in my other post, labor was fairly stoneless so there was the rare job abandoner who got one more last chance.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
just wondering because i have been working here as an unloader for 3 years with 2 jobs and going to school, lately my attendance has been shotty due to various issues. the last time i was spoken to about my attendance i was on my 4th infraction. i really do need and care about the job but i honestly have made some mistakes.
Quit school and marry some broad with a rich daddy.

oldngray

nowhere special
Trump fired.jpg

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
just wondering because i have been working here as an unloader for 3 years with 2 jobs and going to school, lately my attendance has been shotty due to various issues. the last time i was spoken to about my attendance i was on my 4th infraction. i really do need and care about the job but i honestly have made some mistakes.

Obviously your attendance is an issue, and it sounds like you have no will to try and fix it.
Just give your 2 weeks notice, COLLECT your vacation checks, and leave on good standing.
Plus, you get your tax refund this month. Get out and grab a less labor intensive job.

I have a feeling your desire to show up on time for 2 weeks is sketchy at best.

Obviously your attendance is an issue, and it sounds like you have no will to try and fix it.
Just give your 2 weeks notice, COLLECT your vacation checks, and leave on good standing.
Plus, you get your tax refund this month. Get out and grab a less labor intensive job.

I have a feeling your desire to show up on time for 2 weeks is sketchy at best.
Nit didn't he also say he needed the health care?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
he does know my situation but i never told him it gets too much to handle at times. i can maybe try to talk to him and see if there is any flexibility. i care about my co workers i consider many of them close friends and i dont want to leave them understaffed on days, we work on very short staffing. its all very corporate as we all know. for now on im just gonna keep pushing through and going to work. i am getting my associates by the summer and i plan on leaving UPS by then. its been way too long doing labor and i am of sleight build. excuse after excuse, i know, but its just the honest truth. my back hurts. my state of mind isnt the greatest either, working night shift brings my mental stability down. as long as i dont get fired by the summer ill be in great shape, lol, so no more missing days. i have 2 more vacations between then as well
This is what everyone means by "This job is not for everyone" They will survive without you

Tony Q

Most progressive discipline attendance infraction are set up as six occurrences in a nine month period. what they typically do is verbally warn you when you hit six. if this does not get any better they will take you to a hearing. There you usually can tell them you will do better to avoid a suspension. if you are one of these employees with 52 infractions in the last 9 months this probably won't be an option.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
If you are in Desert Mountain we have a policy in writing that specifies progressive discipline for attendance, The policy is 1st occurrence- Documented Talk With, 2nd occurrence- Warning Letter, 3rd occurrence- 1 day suspension, 4th occurrence- 3 day suspension, 5th occurrence- 5 day suspension, 6th occurrence- working termination. That's assuming you call in if not they send a 72hr notice to report or you are terminated.

F

Frankie's Friend

Are you mostly late or calling off?
If calling off is the majority of your infractions get a Dr's appoibtment and tell him/her you want to enact fmla for emotional and mental stress. If you get approved the company cant use your call offs agsinst you and it will buy you time until you get out.
Regardless of the negative and degrading comments on here you are temporarily burning the candle at both ends to get to your goal. The company will work with hub pt timers and fire employees in extended small centers for the same infractions. Its garbage.