Is FedEx Ground Starting To Move Express Freight?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Lots of rumors that FedEx Ground is going to start hauling FedEx Express pkgs in Ground equipment. This development has wheels because new Ground trailers set-up exclusively for air containers are starting to show-up in the Express system. Disturbing, because they will be taking work away from FedEx RTD's, and possibly "illegal", because wouldn't they be "employees" instead of contractors if they start hauling in-house freight? EFFU Fred...

B

bbsam

if dhl can contract with ups and express can lease it's planes to th usps, i would think that express could contract with ground as well since all are legally separate entities.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Legally separate, but doesn't hauling in-house blur the lines somewhat? What if, for example, Express started hauling Ground freight? Are you seeing any of the type of new trailers I mentioned in your part of the country?

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
I know of drivers at FedEx Freight (Old AF & Viking) who were affected by 'service enhancements' a couple of weeks ago. Several drivers have been forced to relocate within the company or find a new job. Some of their freight will be going on Ground pups now. In this economy, I believe FDX will do whatever it takes. As for Express, around here they are stuck in some little hole in the wall station while Ground is and has built some very large and well equipped facilities. Are the trailers 48' rear doors, curtain side, or pups? When you say they are showing up in the system, do you mean they are sitting in the Express docks?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Brand-new 53' trailers with permanent roller systems...in other words,set-up for air container usage only. They are parked at an Express facility in the city where I work. It's interesting how FedEx Express employees are forbidden to touch Ground freight because they actually are "employees", but it's apparently OK for Ground "contractors" to move Express pkgs. Where are the Teamsters?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm always amazed at those major A-holes in Memphis who keep exhorting us to fulfiill the amazing Purple Promise while they happily screw us blind from behind without any lubrication. We're talking walkout or sitdown at my station. Nobody leaves the premises...we just all stop what we're doing and let management rant and threaten. Perhaps the morning sort would be a good time to go into either a 28/29 code or a 13/14 . If there's such a thing as Karma, Fred S should be getting struck by lightning soon.