Is Fred Going to Give Heavyweight to FedEx Freight?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
One of the latest strong rumors is that our beloved Fred is getting ready to move Express Heavyweight over to FedEx Freight. This would allow them to eliminate a lot of senior, topped-out employees (RTDs) and reduce labor charges at the ramp.

I'm not sure how The Evil One plans on getting around the RLA problem. Heavyweight freight might possibly be transported and processed at a Freight location, or he might have something else in mind. FedEx Freight is covered under the NLRA, but drivers are non-union.

Either way, another move to gut Express is possibly in the works, and although HWT drivers make up a small proportion of the overall work force, that would mean lots of very senior displaced RTDs competing for the few jobs that will be available.

Thanks again, Fred!

vantexan

One of the latest strong rumors is that our beloved Fred is getting ready to move Express Heavyweight over to FedEx Freight. This would allow them to eliminate a lot of senior, topped-out employees (RTDs) and reduce labor charges at the ramp.

I'm not sure how The Evil One plans on getting around the RLA problem. Heavyweight freight might possibly be transported and processed at a Freight location, or he might have something else in mind. FedEx Freight is covered under the NLRA, but drivers are non-union.

Either way, another move to gut Express is possibly in the works, and although HWT drivers make up a small proportion of the overall work force, that would mean lots of very senior displaced RTDs competing for the few jobs that will be available.

Thanks again, Fred!

Fred said in the monthly newsletter that everything will be in place by the end of Fiscal Year 2016. That's May 31st, 2016. Going to be real interesting how things shake out by then.

I actually signed up when I saw this post because I wanted to respond, this would directly affect my job with fedex. I was hearing the same rumor as well, so the last time I saw my senior manager in an employee meating I brought it up to her. She danced around the question for a while like they all do with stuff like this but in the end she said that it was a strong possibility that fedex frieght would take over the express ops because they were looking to eleminate two sometimes 3 fedex drivers in different divisions showing up at the same stop thus being unproductive.
I say Show me the buyout.

Manager Wants Buyout

I actually signed up when I saw this post because I wanted to respond, this would directly affect my job with fedex. I was hearing the same rumor as well, so the last time I saw my senior manager in an employee meating I brought it up to her. She danced around the question for a while like they all do with stuff like this but in the end she said that it was a strong possibility that fedex frieght would take over the express ops because they were looking to eleminate two sometimes 3 fedex drivers in different divisions showing up at the same stop thus being unproductive.
I say Show me the buyout.
We will show you a buyout but I better get mine first!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why should they? Do they owe you something?

Hey, Mr. GOP...these A-Holes DO owe us something. While you've been filling your pockets, Fred and Friends have been picking ours. The fact that so many people are praying for a buyout should probably give you a clue. In the last 15 years Fred has managed to save himself some real dough by taking stuff away from people who earned the benefits and perks he decided were his instead.

bbsam

Staff member
No need to get nasty, MFE. The fact that so many are PRAYING for a buyout ought to tell you something. Someone (possibly here) put it in their heads that such a thing was coming for some and not for all. Somebody has an awful lot of people full of false hope.

bbsam

Staff member
We need to take you to the nearest Kool-Aid detox center ASAP. Stop with the weasel worshipping too.

Are you praying? I am starting to think that I may be the only one looking at this rationally. Seems like everyone has it in their minds that Fred owes them and yet Fred has a long history of not seeing it that way. The only kool aid around here is spiked with something causing delusions of buyouts.

bbsam

Staff member
And just to be clear, I saw how it was when Fedex "bought out" two thirds of the contractors when transitioning to IISP.

Rhoderunner

This fits right in with the nugget a SM dropped on us back in Dec about ramp locations possibly coming under station control. What's left if there's no HW to deliver. Loading and unloading operations which could be staffed by the local station as was done in the past.

panozman

Anyone hearing anything else about absorbing/merging Express Hwt with FedEx Frt? As an Express RTD at our Ramp, Most of us seem to be all for it because our lack of staffing and schedules are really messed up. not to mention Seniority seems to count for nothing anymore.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Anyone hearing anything else about absorbing/merging Express Hwt with FedEx Frt? As an Express RTD at our Ramp, Most of us seem to be all for it because our lack of staffing and schedules are really messed up. not to mention Seniority seems to count for nothing anymore.

Why would you want this to happen? If Heavyweight goes to FedEx Freight that means a bunch of RTD's will be displaced and have to go back to being couriers. The worst case scenario is having AGFS disbanded and going back to the system of the early Federal Express, where the CTV driver was a courier during the day and only ran the CTV in the AM or on the PM. They worked for the stations, not the ramp.