Is it a good time to get into UPS & make it a career?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
My best friends neighbor owns one of the largest hvac companies around here.

He makes bank. The guys doing the work don’t make very much.

Yes sir they are. I saw their W2s. One personally made over $500Gs with his crews working 6 days a week.
It's commercial work not residential.
Well, running a million dollar business isn't something you just walk into either.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Testing sex-bots? :devil3:
Careful what you wish for.
giphy - 2019-03-25T064320.754.gif

F

Frankie's Friend

Well, running a million dollar business isn't something you just walk into either.
Big money rarely happens overnight. When HVAC became a licensed occupation the hourly rate increased greatly.

The side of HVAC he is into is not popular but it pays extremely well.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Thoughts on getting into UPS and paying your dues for a shot at driving at a young age in this generation? Mostly concerned with future automation and whether or not it’s still worth it?
Driving yes, management no.

With no pension, most don't realize how much you have to bank to make up the difference! Huge number.

Whitelightning1534

I say it's not worth it unless the only reason you work here is to get school paid for it's extremely hard to become a full time employee there are people at my hub who have been working at UPS 20-25+ years that are still waiting on a full time position and don't get your hopes up about trying to become a part time supervisor then turn right around and become a full time supervisor at the end of the day it's really all about who you know and how much butt kissing you're willing to do but like I said earlier it's not worth it at this point it's starting to seem like UPS is starting to go broke because we're getting no hours and they're taking awhile to give us our back pay I say a national strike will get things back in line. If you really want to make a career out of UPS go get your CDL and find a company where you can drive delivery vans and work doing that for 5 or so years and then come back to UPS and try applying for a driver position it's real hard to become a driver if you've only been a package handler it might not seem like the pay is worth it at first but the only way to make any real money at UPS is to drive

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I say it's not worth it unless the only reason you work here is to get school paid for it's extremely hard to become a full time employee there are people at my hub who have been working at UPS 20-25+ years that are still waiting on a full time position and don't get your hopes up about trying to become a part time supervisor then turn right around and become a full time supervisor at the end of the day it's really all about who you know and how much butt kissing you're willing to do but like I said earlier it's not worth it at this point it's starting to seem like UPS is starting to go broke because we're getting no hours and they're taking awhile to give us our back pay I say a national strike will get things back in line. If you really want to make a career out of UPS go get your CDL and find a company where you can drive delivery vans and work doing that for 5 or so years and then come back to UPS and try applying for a driver position it's real hard to become a driver if you've only been a package handler it might not seem like the pay is worth it at first but the only way to make any real money at UPS is to drive
UPS is going broke because you aren’t getting OT and you haven’t gotten back pay yet......could you be more uninformed?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

58348B05-2BAA-4996-9AAC-0A0202A83DF9.gif

Attachments

• 3C3BDBE4-004B-49E1-96FD-3303D26F07A4.gif
    3C3BDBE4-004B-49E1-96FD-3303D26F07A4.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 165

El Correcto

god is dead
Thoughts on getting into UPS and paying your dues for a shot at driving at a young age in this generation? Mostly concerned with future automation and whether or not it’s still worth it?
Optimist in me says yes.
Im not completely convinced of the hype with self driving automation in non controlled environment and there is already political push back for it in the United States. I could see freight trucking maybe in the next 20+ years going automated, but our package delivery job? Not too sure about that

Box Ox

Optimist in me says yes.
Im not completely convinced of the hype with self driving automation in non controlled environment and there is already political push back for it in the United States. I could see freight trucking maybe in the next 20+ years going automated, but our package delivery job? Not too sure about that

I think downward pressure on wages from competitors is a far more immediate threat than the possibility of automation.