Is it a good time to get into UPS & make it a career?

I say UPS is worth it. Just use the cash to live debt free and start a side gig. Really the best side gig where I am is to get into some reasonable rental property. Something that you can afford and cash flow each month. And invest as much as you can to save for retirement.

So, you are in your early 20's. Here's what I wish I could have told myself 20 years ago...

1. Live below your means (debt free)
2. Invest the max for retirement - You can use a mix, but shoot for 20% pre-tax as a good baseline for what dollar amount you need to save
3. Invest (Own) some reasonable, cash-flow rental property as a side gig
4. Do not marry someone, have kids, or get a large mortgage until you have accomplished steps #1-3
Great advice, thanks.

purehavanne

Absolutely awful advice...why would you want to hit top pay and get out? Lose top pay, lose benefits, lose pension....I would say hit top pay and stay there.
Awful? Gtfoh I wanna have knees and shoulders and mental
Health. The economy is booming and there’s other careers out there than for a young person to wait decades to drive.

vvv

I say UPS is worth it. Just use the cash to live debt free and start a side gig. Really the best side gig where I am is to get into some reasonable rental property. Something that you can afford and cash flow each month. And invest as much as you can to save for retirement.

So, you are in your early 20's. Here's what I wish I could have told myself 20 years ago...

2. Invest the max for retirement - You can use a mix, but shoot for 20% pre-tax as a good baseline for what dollar amount you need to save
4. Do not marry someone, have kids, or get a large mortgage until you have accomplished steps #1-3

I think you forgot something after he starts to amass those listed on #2 & 3......and that would be #5.(PRENUP)!!

purehavanne

Thoughts on getting into UPS and paying your dues for a shot at driving at a young age in this generation? Mostly concerned with future automation and whether or not it’s still worth it?
Overall it comes down to how long you've got to "pay your dues." Wait 10 yrs to drive and then start your full time seniority in 2029? Don't do it.
Over here you can go feeder with 6 months seniority.
It all depends on your hub if I would recommend you stick it out.

Walk88

Or take almost 4 months to make seniorty just in time for peak. Then get laid iff right after peak for three months, bump back to PT. Then get a call a half hour before start time when you're out of town believing you're laid off. Sup says you're driving and tell him you're out if town. He says this job demands to be available at all times when they need you, laid off or not. Then you tell him to kick rocks and you're never coming back. That'd basically what I just did. I'm not invested in UPS so I can go anywhere and make a comfortable living without all their crap.

Box Ox

Then get a call a half hour before start time when you're out of town believing you're laid off. Sup says you're driving and tell him you're out if town. He says this job demands to be available at all times when they need you, laid off or not. Then you tell him to kick rocks and you're never coming back. That'd basically what I just did. I'm not invested in UPS so I can go anywhere and make a comfortable living without all their crap.

Or you could just not answer your gosh darn phone when a supervisor calls you a half hour before start time.

Never gave it much thought. Coming up on 17 years now.

I wouldn't either if I were a mechanic!

Heffalump

Can I reverse the list?

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
The key to UPS is to get in and get out. My hub is full of guys who got “stuck” working here. Everyone has a story.
Know what you want out of the job. Work for a few years, get top rate, and get out. I did 265 stops a few days ago. You think I’m gonna be slangin boxes in 2044 when I hit 30yrs of service?
That is a brilliant plan.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Or take almost 4 months to make seniorty just in time for peak. Then get laid iff right after peak for three months, bump back to PT. Then get a call a half hour before start time when you're out of town believing you're laid off. Sup says you're driving and tell him you're out if town. He says this job demands to be available at all times when they need you, laid off or not. Then you tell him to kick rocks and you're never coming back. That'd basically what I just did. I'm not invested in UPS so I can go anywhere and make a comfortable living without all their crap.

09FFCF34-97B8-42AA-963F-8866D2E6D6F2.gif