Is it a good time to get into UPS & make it a career?

Have bigger ambitions for yourself.

I would not risk your long term future on this job.
I’m not going to sit here and say this is the correct answer out of everybody who has replied thus far because this discussion is highly subjective because nobody knows what the future holds. But, this is how I feel about it emotionally. I got hired in, worked hard from day 1 as a seasonal till current. I’m at the age where I’m in my early twenties and the career path that I choose will lay the foundation of my future. I enjoy working here and could very well see myself as a driver but I’m not so sure that I would want to do this for the rest of my life. College is one option, trade school & running a business is another. I don’t want to invest years into this company and make it a career and then realize later down the road that I should have taken a different path. I know nobody can make the decision for me but all I ask of the veterans is this, the early mornings & all of the late nights coming home, the time spent away from your wife and kids, the toll this job takes on your body and the loss of your free time. Is it all worth the money?

El Correcto

god is dead
I’m not going to sit here and say this is the correct answer out of everybody who has replied thus far because this discussion is highly subjective because nobody knows what the future holds. But, this is how I feel about it emotionally. I got hired in, worked hard from day 1 as a seasonal till current. I’m at the age where I’m in my early twenties and the career path that I choose will lay the foundation of my future. I enjoy working here and could very well see myself as a driver but I’m not so sure that I would want to do this for the rest of my life. College is one option, trade school & running a business is another. I don’t want to invest years into this company and make it a career and then realize later down the road that I should have taken a different path. I know nobody can make the decision for me but all I ask of the veterans is this, the early mornings & all of the late nights coming home, the time spent away from your wife and kids, the toll this job takes on your body and the loss of your free time. Is it all worth the money?
We have no college education, next to no work related costs and our wages are higher than most working class American households combined.

Yeah dude it’s worth it unless you got something better to be doing, you can always save money and jump ship at your age. Start your life with a duplex to rent out and a reliable car.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
We have no college education, next to no work related costs and our wages are higher than most working class American households combined.

Yeah dude it’s worth it unless you got something better to be doing, you can always save money and jump ship at your age. Start your life with a duplex to rent out and a reliable car.
Instead of pure rent there is a whole island here that puts prefabs and houseboats on rented land/dock slips. $500-700 per month for the land/slip and less than $100,000 for a decent home or houseboat. It is an excellent way to reduce your monthly payments three-fold without going "all-in" and end up paying interest on a $400,000 home.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I say it's not worth it unless the only reason you work here is to get school paid for it's extremely hard to become a full time employee there are people at my hub who have been working at UPS 20-25+ years that are still waiting on a full time position and don't get your hopes up about trying to become a part time supervisor then turn right around and become a full time supervisor at the end of the day it's really all about who you know and how much butt kissing you're willing to do but like I said earlier it's not worth it at this point it's starting to seem like UPS is starting to go broke because we're getting no hours and they're taking awhile to give us our back pay I say a national strike will get things back in line. If you really want to make a career out of UPS go get your CDL and find a company where you can drive delivery vans and work doing that for 5 or so years and then come back to UPS and try applying for a driver position it's real hard to become a driver if you've only been a package handler it might not seem like the pay is worth it at first but the only way to make any real money at UPS is to drive

63B9D8C9-8255-440D-9AB4-BBF38FDDB25A.gif

purehavanne

Thoughts on getting into UPS and paying your dues for a shot at driving at a young age in this generation? Mostly concerned with future automation and whether or not it’s still worth it?
The key to UPS is to get in and get out. My hub is full of guys who got “stuck” working here. Everyone has a story.
Know what you want out of the job. Work for a few years, get top rate, and get out. I did 265 stops a few days ago. You think I’m gonna be slangin boxes in 2044 when I hit 30yrs of service?

The key to UPS is to get in and get out. My hub is full of guys who got “stuck” working here. Everyone has a story.
Know what you want out of the job. Work for a few years, get top rate, and get out. I did 265 stops a few days ago. You think I’m gonna be slangin boxes in 2044 when I hit 30yrs of service?
And give up your pension and benefits?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Instead of pure rent there is a whole island here that puts prefabs and houseboats on rented land/dock slips. $500-700 per month for the land/slip and less than $100,000 for a decent home or houseboat. It is an excellent way to reduce your monthly payments three-fold without going "all-in" and end up paying interest on a $400,000 home.

Where’s the sewage go

Heavy Package

I say UPS is worth it. Just use the cash to live debt free and start a side gig. Really the best side gig where I am is to get into some reasonable rental property. Something that you can afford and cash flow each month. And invest as much as you can to save for retirement.

So, you are in your early 20's. Here's what I wish I could have told myself 20 years ago...

1. Live below your means (debt free)
2. Invest the max for retirement - You can use a mix, but shoot for 20% pre-tax as a good baseline for what dollar amount you need to save
3. Invest (Own) some reasonable, cash-flow rental property as a side gig
4. Do not marry someone, have kids, or get a large mortgage until you have accomplished steps #1-3

Bob11B

I say it's not worth it unless the only reason you work here is to get school paid for it's extremely hard to become a full time employee there are people at my hub who have been working at UPS 20-25+ years that are still waiting on a full time position and don't get your hopes up about trying to become a part time supervisor then turn right around and become a full time supervisor at the end of the day it's really all about who you know and how much butt kissing you're willing to do but like I said earlier it's not worth it at this point it's starting to seem like UPS is starting to go broke because we're getting no hours and they're taking awhile to give us our back pay I say a national strike will get things back in line. If you really want to make a career out of UPS go get your CDL and find a company where you can drive delivery vans and work doing that for 5 or so years and then come back to UPS and try applying for a driver position it's real hard to become a driver if you've only been a package handler it might not seem like the pay is worth it at first but the only way to make any real money at UPS is to drive
Wtf? Do you work at the Antarctica hub?

Bob11B

Absolutely awful advice...why would you want to hit top pay and get out? Lose top pay, lose benefits, lose pension....I would say hit top pay and stay there.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Lol what
It took me 2 years.
And that was only because I was not ready to go driving early last year, when it was a zero-day wait.

22.3 on the other hand...