Is lunch factored into hours of service?

bigmistake

Scenario: I worked 5 twelve hour days. Each day I took a 1 hour lunch. Am I out of hours or do I have 5 hours left? Also, my center pays a 20 minute bonus for every day over 9.5, Are those 20 minutes factored into the 60 hours weekly?

Is the timecard viewer on UPSers an acceptable source to track your hours?

Saca La

What is it?
You get 20 min bonus for being over 9.5?? That’s a deal. Over here, management slams you with work and asks with a serious face “your gonna make 9.5 today right?”

DriverNerd

You have 5 hours left. 60 hour rule is hours worked, period. As thecamel said, 14 hour rule includes any time on or off the clock after first punch in.

Time card viewer is accurate, but if does not subtract your unpaid time from your total time.

Bonus has nothing to do with DOT hours.

Chnandler Bong

Scenario: I worked 5 twelve hour days. Each day I took a 1 hour lunch. Am I out of hours or do I have 5 hours left? Also, my center pays a 20 minute bonus for every day over 9.5, Are those 20 minutes factored into the 60 hours weekly?

Is that bonus at straight time or overtime rate?

Ghost in the Darkness

Lunch isn't paid but break is. If you worked 12 hrs it would show total hours as 12hrs plus whatever your lunch period is. Then it would break down to hrs worked as Ground Driver (or whatever else) and lunch period is subtracted out since nobody is paid for meal period. Break is part of the 12hrs. Always take your break, the company pays you to not work for 10 minutes or whatever your supplemental break period is.

35years

Gravy route
Sorry to contradict anyone but....

We were absolutely crushed with volume a couple of peaks back, so the limits were tested.

We were on the clock past 14 hours many nights. You just have to be done driving at 14 hours. Many drivers got back on property at 14 hours. Then took their paid break, sheeted missed, did checkout etc. No unpaid break taken.

Must have 10 hrs till next punch in. Some had to delay punch in. We had to check the sheet every Friday to see how many hrs we had left for 70 HOURS. Goal was to have 68+ hours off by Friday punch out to avoid working Saturday. But over 14 hrs in one day happened often. Just no driving after 14.

35years

Gravy route
I remember seeing that lying UPS spokesman on the news saying NO driver was working over 70 hours in an 8 day period. We had hundreds doing so that entire peak because of the reset every Sunday....

Try 83 hrs in 8 days. 70 in 5 days.

RolloTony Brown Town

20 minute time bonus is not factored into your HOS.

Depending on whether or not 70/8 or 60/7 is in effect... if you had a 34 hour reset and worked 12 hours each day Monday-Friday, and took a full hour meal each day then you’d have 60 hours and would be out of hours.

The meal is off duty time and does not effect your 60 hour clock.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You just have to be done driving at 14 hours.

Correct.

Hours of Service states that you cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours.

You can be back at the building and shift, clean, sweep, or do whatever, past 14 hours, as long as you are not on road.

Depending on whether or not 70/8 or 60/7 is in effect... if you had a 34 hour reset and worked 12 hours each day Monday-Friday, and took a full hour meal each day then you’d have 60 hours and would be out of hours.

Correct, if he "worked" 12 hours, meaning he was on the clock for 13 hours, with an hour meal.

If he was only on the clock for 12 hours, he deducts the 5 hours for meal and then still has 5 hours available.

WTFm8

14 hours of service (punch in to off the road). You can continue working inside building/sheeting missed as others said but this pushes your start time back because of the 10hr reset. My building likes to keep us at a 15min buffer so 13.75 they want us off the clock so we can start “on time” the next day.

To answer you, your 12hr in to out with a 1 hour break, you have 12hrs of service FOR THE DAY but only 11hrs count towards your 60/70hrs for the rolling week.

Went to the FMCSA last peak to clarify as the office for my state is 10min from my house.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

You would have 5 hours remaining plus all break time taken that week, provided you started after a full reset. If you took 10 minutes per day of break you would have 5:50 of drive time remaining.

tourists24

Sorry to contradict anyone but....

We were absolutely crushed with volume a couple of peaks back, so the limits were tested.

We were on the clock past 14 hours many nights. You just have to be done driving at 14 hours. Many drivers got back on property at 14 hours. Then took their paid break, sheeted missed, did checkout etc. No unpaid break taken.

Must have 10 hrs till next punch in. Some had to delay punch in. We had to check the sheet every Friday to see how many hrs we had left for 70 HOURS. Goal was to have 68+ hours off by Friday punch out to avoid working Saturday. But over 14 hrs in one day happened often. Just no driving after 14.
Wow,,, that's nasty. I guess we were "lucky" to only be allowed 14 no matter what lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You would have 5 hours remaining plus all break time taken that week, provided you started after a full reset. If you took 10 minutes per day of break you would have 5:50 of drive time remaining.
I’ll bet he’s counting the 10 paid in his hour “lunch” so he’d have 5 hours left

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The simple fact that we are talking about this is July tells you how :censored2:ed up this place is ran

I'm sure this is part of the master plan. If they can't hire enough delivery drivers they can give more work to the USPS with Dennis Taylor and the Teamsters blessings. :ninja3:

We can have Coyote Logistics hauling loads in that are sorted for the USPS to deliver.