IVIS settings

Johney

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I guess my center is behind. I have no idea what "little black boxes" are being referred to. Two-way radios don't count.

Boxes you can see on the front of trailers, centered at the top.

Not sure what they do but I was at Amazon a few weeks back and they had a contractor on their yard adding a similar box to their trailers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where are you getting this info? We haven't heard a thing on this.

We went live on the eCCR a few weeks ago and the lead guy in charge of the IVIS and its software told us about the Samsung phones. He thought they were going to be J7's.

I believe they are transponders. They transmit the trailers numbers when inbounding and outbounding verifying that you have the correct trailer.

I believe it also has a GPS so they can see where the trailer is at all times.

Knothead

Yep.
We went live on the eCCR a few weeks ago and the lead guy in charge of the IVIS and its software told us about the Samsung phones. He thought they were going to be J7's.

I believe they are transponders. They transmit the trailers numbers when inbounding and outbounding verifying that you have the correct trailer.

I believe it also has a GPS so they can see where the trailer is at all times.

I didn't know what a Samsung J7 was, so I googled it. According to the search results it is "perfect for streaming movies and connecting with friends." Awesome! Thanks UPS, I get bored out there on the highway and have felt that streaming a movie or connecting with friends is exactly what I have been missing.

Pickles

Im guessing the black boxes may eliminate pt dispatcher jobs eventually. They can see what inbound and outbound doors the trailer is on. They could also dispatch all buildings from one remote location.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

Not sure what they do but I was at Amazon a few weeks back and they had a contractor on their yard adding a similar box to their trailers.
Started seeing them on brand new rail chassis, which seems odd cause I thought we owned the rail box and leased the chassis, could be wrong about that though. Took a few extra minutes to get me inbounded at the railyard, said they had to add the chassis to their system or something like that, they just kind of mumble over the phone there so I'm not sure.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I wonder if this is part of the "on time feeder network" that was rolled out awhile back. Not sure what it's all about but we had some pull times moved up and they are now enforced.

We're also adding quite a few sleeper runs. Any other hubs have that happening?

Pickles

We've had times get moved up do to the electronic ccr. Although it takes the same amount of time if not more if you switch trailers at a place other than a hub/center.

I've heard of sleeper teams getting eliminated due to starting to use the rails heavily again. I suppose this all depends on where you are.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2017-9-25_7-22-53.png

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Checked with the shop.

They are called smart boxes. Built in GPS for trailer tracking and will be linked to automated arrival and departure.