Jax Using golf cart helpers instead of cover drivers

Here in Jacksonville our center managers are using golf cart helpers instead of working us cover drivers. This time last year all of us were working everyday and now we're all sitting at home not working. I have never filed a grievance in my 11 1/2 year career with Ups but I'm thinking about it because of this. Is this grounds for a grievance?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have been using them in our Center the last couple of years. They were supposed to put one in my biggest subdivision last year, but my supervisor waited too long to contact the HOA. He did the same thing this year too, much to my relief. I didn't want to mess with a Helper and then have to carry stops and mess with a third DIAD for the golf cart guy. It seems like a stupid idea to me, I don't understand how it can save much money.

We have been using them in our Center the last couple of years. They were supposed to put one in my biggest subdivision last year, but my supervisor waited too long to contact the HOA. He did the same thing this year too, much to my relief. I didn't want to mess with a Helper and then have to carry stops and mess with a third DIAD for the golf cart guy. It seems like a stupid idea to me, I don't understand how it can save much money.

UPS math..........................spend a nickel, save a penny! Start you ten minutes later plus 10 more stops = earlier punch out!................lol

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Btw I do a pod drop off and a golf cart trailer during peak. I drop off a neighborhood of stuff in one the Portable On Demand storage units, plus a Uhaul for another subdivision. Both have golf cart helpers using DIADs they have been loosely trained on. What's even better is management actually tries to pawn off their production and issues on us, as if we are suppose to a mange them.

These are the times when staying consistent by not using your personal phone for business comes into play. If either area needs help or runs into problems, they call management, not me.

upschuck

With the differences between driver rate OT, and jumper rate, they can get approx. 4 hours jumper time for each hour they would have to pay a driver to drive that said jumper around.

One is suppose to start in my center this year as well. We'll see how it goes. I hear that jumper is guaranteed 6 hrs on that route. Don't know what the cart looks like, but hope it is enclosed with heat.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yes I would file on this. All regular employees should be working prior to working any helpers. File ASAP usually only have 5 days to file, then file again in 5 days if not fixed. Repeat until heard or stopped.

cb1969

Yes, it is grounds. Though the golf carts are a back door agreement between UPS and your local. They can not use any helper while you are laid off.

M

MenInBrown

My center used a golf cart helper one yr in one if my large res areas. I filed 2 grievances and never heard anything about it, but they haven't done it since.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It would seem to me, someone riding around by themselves using their own DIAD, is a driver, not a helper. We need better language to stop this abuse.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would seem to me, someone riding around by themselves using their own DIAD, is a driver, not a helper. We need better language to stop this abuse.

Abuse? It sounds like a smart business decision as this is a very effective use of a helper.

Our mall driver drops a TP-60 in the parking lot. His helper works out of the TP-60. He has his own DIAD----would you consider him to be a driver?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Abuse? It sounds like a smart business decision as this is a very effective use of a helper.

Our mall driver drops a TP-60 in the parking lot. His helper works out of the TP-60. He has his own DIAD----would you consider him to be a driver?

Yes, A driver out of a satellite center.

upschuck

Absolutely not, just because he is by himself does not justify driver status.

Yes, A driver out of a satellite center.

What is he driving? A cart.:rofl: