Joining the military

watdaflock?

You'd be insane to join the military.

Type in Google a few key words like, "veterans explain why you shouldn't join military" you'll find a few choices, even one trolling propaganda page - directly from the Military! The answers are quite negative, why unemployment rates for veterans exceed that of the general population in similar age groups.

The "learning a trade" nonsense most recruiters tell you is complete B.S. but afterwards as a Veteran, you may be able to attend college practically for free. You will have many headaches if you take this route, for example the Government being late paying your tuition and all of your classes being dropped, you not being reimbursed for buying books, etc...nobody is slower at processing, than the Government.

If you have that "sense in life that you want to be part of something greater than oneself" and you deep-down feel you must "embrace the suck" then join the Military.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:

DriverNerd

As long as you fill out a withdrawal card with the union and fill out proper paperwork with HR, your job will be protected. UPS doesn't want to be in the news for terminating the employment of a veteran. We have two in my hub that served and came back to their original jobs. Both also still work there. If you have your heart set on this, good luck. Wishing you a safe return.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son joined after 9/11. Left on good terms. Came back after 4 years. As someone above said, he came back as if nothing happened. I think he had an issue with the company about his seniority date, but the union straightened it out.

IIIIII

are you young?

do not :censored2:ing do it. you are just a number (which is no different than how UPS views you, except you likely have a higher life expectancy working at UPS than you do in the marines.

look up chris hedges immediately. war is a racket. do not go.

id rec'd healthcare, or a trade, or computers if you can do any. and find somewhere to move to where mortgages are cheap.
Only Chris’s opinion I care about is Chris Kyle’s.
You little commie heathen.

Type in Google a few key words like, "veterans explain why you shouldn't join military" you'll find a few choices, even one trolling propaganda page - directly from the Military! The answers are quite negative, why unemployment rates for veterans exceed that of the general population in similar age groups.

The "learning a trade" nonsense most recruiters tell you is complete B.S. but afterwards as a Veteran, you may be able to attend college practically for free. You will have many headaches if you take this route, for example the Government being late paying your tuition and all of your classes being dropped, you not being reimbursed for buying books, etc...nobody is slower at processing, than the Government.

If you have that "sense in life that you want to be part of something greater than oneself" and you deep-down feel you must "embrace the suck" then join the Military.

Good luck, hope this helps.
People don’t generally join the marines saying gimme gimme. That’s part of the self sacrifice and duty.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Only Chris’s opinion I care about is Chris Kyle’s.
You little commie heathen.

People don’t generally join the marines saying gimme gimme. That’s part of the self sacrifice and duty.
You'll be standing a lot of duty, it's boring as hell. Have fun.

old levi's

blank space
I’m talking to the marines about joining, made up on my mind on this move just need to hash out the details with them.

I plan on talking to my B.A this week to find out local details or past practice in this situation.

I was just curious how long does UPS hold my job for? Have you seen them hold it longer for others? Is it something I communicate to HR or my managers?

I understand I continue gaining seniority but am not eligible for any bid jobs that are posted while I’m gone. Does the seniority also apply to raises?

I’m assuming insurance is gone as well considering I’m not working for them.

Any advice or info is appreciated.

Think about life as one of those moving sidewalks at the airport, you're about to step off that sidewalk and everything, and everybody that you know will keep moving for the next 4 years. When you get out they won't remember you, or care that you served for 4 years. Ask me how I know?