Joining the military

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by IIIIII, Sep 21, 2018.

1. IIIIII

IIIIII Member

I’m talking to the marines about joining, made up on my mind on this move just need to hash out the details with them.

I plan on talking to my B.A this week to find out local details or past practice in this situation.

I was just curious how long does UPS hold my job for? Have you seen them hold it longer for others? Is it something I communicate to HR or my managers?

I understand I continue gaining seniority but am not eligible for any bid jobs that are posted while I’m gone. Does the seniority also apply to raises?

I’m assuming insurance is gone as well considering I’m not working for them.

Any advice or info is appreciated.

2. IIIIII

IIIIII Member

I’m seven years in with the company and a full time cover driver.

3. Lineandinitial

Lineandinitial Active Member

Leave UPS in the dust. You'll come to realize that there are better things to do with your life.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. IIIIII

IIIIII Member

That’s the plan. It would be nice to have a back up one just in case.

5. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

Come on man it’s almost peak , we need you...dont let the team down

MANAGEMENT IS THE ENEMY , TREAT THEM AS SUCH

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. wrecker

wrecker Member

I took military leave, 4 years active US Army.

It was as if I never left upon returning. Kept my seniority date, pay rate like I’d been there the whole time. Immediate insurance reinstatement. Pension credit while gone based on my average hours before leaving.

I’m not sure how long they have to hold your job.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  7. IIIIII

IIIIII Member

Roger that, tactical grievance incoming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

By law the company has to hold your job or a like job for 5 years. Of course any company can hold it longer if they choose. I served 22 years in my states Army National Guard including a 1 years deployment. Never had any problems.

9. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

Why do you want to join the marines? 9/11 was an inside job ! Our government is the enemy, don’t fight for them..

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  10. He likes deserts and subpar food.

11. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Who wants to share a foxhole tonight?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. IIIIII

IIIIII Member

I was watching full metal jacket and boot camp seemed enjoyable.

13. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Basic Combat Training is not enjoyable but everything else in life will be easier and simpler.

14. Mutineer

Mutineer Active Member

If yer joining the military out of a sense of patriotism, civic duty, or the ability to say "been there, done that", then by all means, join. But keep in mind that it is amazingly easy to get in big forking trouble over nothing and wind up with a dishonorable discharge. Or at the very least, a diminished, regrettable four year experience. The most common (though not required) ingredient in this recipe is alcohol. Once you've consumed ONE beer, if ANY misfortune happens in your immediate vicinity for the next several hours, it's ALL your fault. All of it.

I saw that happen way too many times. Had one close call myself. And that was 25 years ago. I doubt things have gotten less stringent.

If your joining for occupational training in a skill, craft, or trade to make you more attractive to employers? My experience is that military experience means nothing. Zero. And so-called veterans benefits or preferences are highly exaggerated.

Join the (Ch)Air Force. Years of delivering on an Air Force base proved to me without a doubt that their enlisted people are treated exceptionally well compared to all other branches.

And of course, everything I say your recruiter will beg to differ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. IIIIII

IIIIII Member

I’m joining to fight. Now that I’m older, mature and have no illusions about the repercussions of joining I want to go.

I’m not too worried about alcohol related stuff, I don’t drink. Hate getting drunk.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

088DB703-89A6-449A-8CC8-6B4A3DA01335.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Old Man Jingles

Old Man Jingles Rat out of a cage

Pretty much 4 years is all I've heard.
    I had a guy come back from his four years and he went driving within a couple of months.

18. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

You'd be insane to join the military.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

are you young?

do not :censored2:ing do it. you are just a number (which is no different than how UPS views you, except you likely have a higher life expectancy working at UPS than you do in the marines.

look up chris hedges immediately. war is a racket. do not go.

id rec'd healthcare, or a trade, or computers if you can do any. and find somewhere to move to where mortgages are cheap.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

You serious Clark?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List