Joining the military

llamainmypocket

I know someone who signed up right after making seniority. Now he's eligible for college assistance from both the military and ups while accumulating seniority and raises. He was also eligible to drive right when he got back.

I think you need to clear it with the union first. A proper leave of absence for joining the military

IIIIII

Think about life as one of those moving sidewalks at the airport, you're about to step off that sidewalk and everything, and everybody that you know will keep moving for the next 4 years. When you get out they won't remember you, or care that you served for 4 years. Ask me how I know?
How you know?

rickyb

I’m talking to the marines about joining, made up on my mind on this move just need to hash out the details with them.

I plan on talking to my B.A this week to find out local details or past practice in this situation.

I was just curious how long does UPS hold my job for? Have you seen them hold it longer for others? Is it something I communicate to HR or my managers?

I understand I continue gaining seniority but am not eligible for any bid jobs that are posted while I’m gone. Does the seniority also apply to raises?

I’m assuming insurance is gone as well considering I’m not working for them.

Any advice or info is appreciated.
watch apocalypse now, or born on the fourth of july

Nike

Wow so many negatives on here...
I think joining at this time could be pretty interesting, especially if you're looking for adventure as they could have you all over the world these days.
Africa, Asia, Europe, the Caribbean, etc.
Man if I could I would love to learn how to fly, jet fighter, or one of those big transport craft, C130 would be awesome.

IIIIII

Wow so many negatives on here...
I think joining at this time could be pretty interesting, especially if you're looking for adventure as they could have you all over the world these days.
Africa, Asia, Europe, the Caribbean, etc.
Man if I could I would love to learn how to fly, jet fighter, or one of those big transport craft, C130 would be awesome.
I want to go frontline for sure. I’m not joining the military for a job, I already have a high paying one. I’m joining to fight, I’m going to be pretty disappointed in myself if I missed out on the war and don’t get to experience combat. I just keep wishing I had made the move earlier when :censored2: was really popping off, but at that point in my life I probably wouldn’t of made it out of boot camp.

floridays

I want to go frontline for sure. I’m not joining the military for a job, I already have a high paying one. I’m joining to fight, I’m going to be pretty disappointed in myself if I missed out on the war and don’t get to experience combat. I just keep wishing I had made the move earlier when :censored2: was really popping off, but at that point in my life I probably wouldn’t of made it out of boot camp.
They would have controlled your young mouth, you would have made it a lot easier with a younger body. My opinion. I honestly can't comprehend why you wish for combat however. Are you ready, willing and able to hold your best friends guts in your hands like a prom bouquet you give to the chick you're hoping to bang that night? Legitimate question. Do you really want combat?

GameCockFan

You're a freaking idiot.

floridays

been there, done that, during Vietnam

you remember Vietnam, right?
All due respect Mr. Jeans, it is a different day, different time, if you actually did what you say, we are basically same age, unless you went in early middle sixties. It is a different climate today, and has been for 30 years. I'm sorry for your experience, and well aware of soldiers and grunts return. Not the same day now. I honor you Mr. faded jeans, for your service.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I respect the seriousness of your answers to the life-changing question.

You basically turn your life and many of life’s choices over to an unknown person representing the National Government.
And the National Government’s interests are not the same as yours.

I think I would have a nervous breakdown having to deal with that!

floridays

I respect the seriousness of your answers to the life-changing question.

You basically turn your life and many of life’s choices over to an unknown person representing the National Government.

I can't argue against much you have said. A soldier, or marine doesn't breakdown that easily for the most part, however.

watdaflock?

:censored2:in get er done. Dont listen to these whiners.
Maybe the OP will be one of the fortunate veterans, and only end up with PTSD and addiction problems.

So true, and to think there's still Trump supporters.....