Just a friendly reminder - drive the speed limit, don't go above.

Purplepackage

Myth has it, of course, that if you're in danger of being late with your last P1, just scanning it will make it un-late.

That's not a myth, once you open the stop and scan the package the clock is locked in the power pad, if you can that package at 10:28 but you don't physically drop it till 10:32 you were at that stop at 10:28 according to the numbers.

Another thing I've seen is you stop complete by scanning a door tag and then make a re attempt after 10:30 when you are at the location. Of course if your route is set up correctly you shouldn't need to do any of these things because you shouldn't be in danger of late P1

Whats in the Box

I can drive between towns on break. I know couriers who do pickups during break and some who deliver and write the tracking numbers down and enters them when he's off break.

Any competent Service Assurance Leader(SAL) or Manager could look-up a tracking number via GAP reports and see if it was entered manually or scanned the ASTRA label. That can easily read as falsification. Had a courier at old station got fired for manually entering tracking numbers and delivered them several hours later. All routes are designed for breaks and stem times between towns.

Purplepackage

Any competent Service Assurance Leader(SAL) or Manager could look-up a tracking number via GAP reports and see if it was entered manually or scanned the ASTRA label. That can easily read as falsification. Had a courier at old station got fired for manually entering tracking numbers and delivered them several hours later. All routes are designed for breaks and stem times between towns.

That's great but no manager is going to looks up a tracking number because the delivery happened to fast. The faster the better

whenIgetthere

Myth has it, of course, that if you're in danger of being late with your last P1, just scanning it will make it un-late.

Why take the chance. I know someone who did this once on an overlooked P1, scanned it at 1030, got signature 15 minutes later. He was also suspended for two weeks for falsification for doing so when the customer lodged a complaint about the delivery being at 1045, and not 1030. He tried to do "the right thing" but misunderstood that "the right thing" is based on whether there is a complaint or not. Don't take the chance, take the late. Can't get fired for a single late, but you can get disciplined for falsification.

Purplepackage

I would think the only time this may be an issue is if the customer tracked the package, which showed as being delivered on time but was actually delivered late.

That's true, I know couriers who will run pups on their breaks and then scan them all in 5 minute intervals and nothing is ever said.

I also know a senior courier who has a 5:30 drop box that he has set for 5:15 so that he can open the box and have it roll to closed at 5:15 so he can then drive to his last pup, do the drop box outside and then hit his last pup a few minutes after

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's true, I know couriers who will run pups on their breaks and then scan them all in 5 minute intervals and nothing is ever said.

I also know a senior courier who has a 5:30 drop box that he has set for 5:15 so that he can open the box and have it roll to closed at 5:15 so he can then drive to his last pup, do the drop box outside and then hit his last pup a few minutes after

I wondered about this because one of my drop boxes (5:15) has an Express box (5:30) right next to it and there have been times when the Express driver has closed the box out prior to 5:30. Our DIADs will not allow us to do that.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I wondered about this because one of my drop boxes (5:15) has an Express box (5:30) right next to it and there have been times when the Express driver has closed the box out prior to 5:30. Our DIADs will not allow us to do that.

That's why you get the big bucks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Express guy will usually sit there for 10-15 minutes with engine idling waiting for the commit time. I even asked him one time if he considered asking his SM if they could change the commit time. He said he wasn't that worried about it. I just found it curious that there have been times when the Express guy has rolled in, closed out the box and left before 5:30.

Purplepackage

The Express guy will usually sit there for 10-15 minutes with engine idling waiting for the commit time. I even asked him one time if he considered asking his SM if they could change the commit time. He said he wasn't that worried about it. I just found it curious that there have been times when the Express guy has rolled in, closed out the box and left before 5:30.

Well it could be that he has the same thing done to his box as the guy I know, or we may have had early pulls that day which tends to happen even if it's great weather out and there are no storms.

You said the DIAD won't let you do that, our power pads send a signal and the drop box is programmed to only roll over to "picked up" at the committ time. But if you have a connection with the dispatcher that box can be changed to roll over early.

This guys been on the route for years, why he never asked to just have the box changed to a 5:15 committ I'll never know

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If we try to close out a drop box before the commit time the DIAD will ask if we are sure we want to do that. If we hit yes it will allows us to close out the stop but will also generate a report.

The only days that we are allowed to do this are on non-operational days, such as New Year's Eve, or on days when we are under a weather emergency.

Purplepackage

If we try to close out a drop box before the commit time the DIAD will ask if we are sure we want to do that. If we hit yes it will allows us to close out the stop but will also generate a report.

The only days that we are allowed to do this are on non-operational days, such as New Year's Eve, or on days when we are under a weather emergency.

With our power pads we can open the box and as long as you back out of the stop completely it disappears and it's like you were never there. We have a barcode on the inside that we used to scan to say we hit the box before power pads could open them, so you can open the box,cancel the stop and put the barcode number in 10 miles away at the comitt time and magically you are at the box

Purplepackage

Sadly you are right.

I'm pretty good friends with one the ups guys on my route and sometimes get lunch with him so I've heard pretty much about the amount of micromanagement you guys go through, the 30 years guys at express would throw a bigger fit about that then they already do about not being allowed to have our time cards more than 5 minutes early

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
These days a SM is even powerless to change a dropbox P/U time but won't admit it. I had this type of situation for a long time and 2 SM's were of no help. Our dispatcher had to convince his boss at the district office to change it. It's like going through an act of congress because Fred's worried about losing a nickel's worth of revenue.