Just a friendly reminder - drive the speed limit, don't go above.

Purplepackage

These days a SM is even powerless to change a dropbox P/U time but won't admit it. I had this type of situation for a long time and 2 SM's were of no help. Our dispatcher had to convince his boss at the district office to change it. It's like going through an act of congress because Fred's worried about losing a nickel's worth of revenue.

More than once I've been at my last box 10 minutes early, called my SM and he told me to just pup it and head in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

These days a SM is even powerless to change a dropbox P/U time but won't admit it. I had this type of situation for a long time and 2 SM's were of no help. Our dispatcher had to convince his boss at the district office to change it. It's like going through an act of congress because Fred's worried about losing a nickel's worth of revenue.

The boxes sit outside a new office building on which all of the offices close at 5. We pick up at 5:15 and Express at 5:30. They could easily go to 5:15.

l22

Can't get fired for a single late, but you can get disciplined for falsification.

You can't get fired for having lates, anywhere from 1 late to however many you end up having. Falsification is what can get people fired. No one can get fired for lates. That's why I don't understand all of this speeding, going through stop signs, leaving bulkhead doors open, running, speed-walking, working through break, etc. What friend-ing difference does it make if something is late - to you as a courier? That you'll get a checkride? So what?... You didn't plan your route out, you just do the driving and delivering/picking up of the freight. If something is late, it's late and it is out of your hands. When you get in an accident or injury yourself walking too fast/running/not asking for assistance with heavy packages, management will blame YOU. So use all the proper methods and take your time. If it's late, it's late and the engineering behind the route needs to be adjusted. If you get in an accident that takes your life or causes an injury that changes your life forever, the company will just find another person to do your job.

Last edited:

*****cleared*****

A lot of express drivers will open the Dropbox early and as long as you don't close out of the stop before the commit time, it won't show you as leaving it early. Very easy to just close out after you've left the Dropbox. Many couriers do that at my station so they don't have to sit and wait. Never had an issue

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
A lot of express drivers will open the Dropbox early and as long as you don't close out of the stop before the commit time, it won't show you as leaving it early. Very easy to just close out after you've left the Dropbox. Many couriers do that at my station so they don't have to sit and wait. Never had an issue

I hope you have your resume updated.

dezguy

Why would you open the drop box early? You get paid by the hour. If you show up early, enjoy the paid break.

*****cleared*****

I never said I open drop boxes early. I don't have any drop boxes or regular pickups on my route. Managers tell them they are fine to open the drop box early to process everything in it. Just don't leave the Dropbox until after the ready time.

l22

You also can't get fired for missing your return to building time yet people run and speed all day to do that also

I know lol. Why do couriers care about RTB time and lates? They should really be focusing on going slow, obeying the rules of the road, and not having an accident.

MassWineGuy

Closing out a box early is cheating customers. If I'm running 20 to 30 minutes ahead I'll often ask dispatch to send me another box or two to sweep.

l22

I can drive between towns on break. I know couriers who do pickups during break and some who deliver and write the tracking numbers down and enters them when he's off break.

If anyone is working on their break (driving between towns/stops, delivering, completing pups,) or just working outside of what is directed when not on break, please don't. If you are caught doing these things, they will always hold you accountable. Just WAD. If you have to be superstar to complete your route by speeding, not using CBP, then your route needs to be adjusted. If you bend the rules and run/speed to meet your goals, they will just raise them higher and will say that you were able to meet your previous goals...

-For example: if you are given a higher amount of P1s and expected to complete them all on time, don't do anything different than you would during P2s. Your methods should always be the same. Ask for help at the start by telling dispatch and/or your manager. NO running, NO speeding.

- Another example: if you are doing a pickup route and are given a higher amount of pickups to complete. CYA by telling your manager and/or dispatch when you begin your route/as soon as you know, that you may need help with the route. Regardless of whether you are given help or not, don't speed, don't run, don't do any hustling that bends the rules in any way. Same thing if you get on the road late because there were no trucks available.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm pretty sure the pup time of a DB is when you open it not, when you close it.
I grab all the packages at p/u time, throw them in my vehicle and process them somewhere else so I don't have to deal with last minute fools that can't figure out how to fill out an airbill and have had all day to do so.

dezguy

I'm pretty sure the pup time of a DB is when you open it not, when you close it.
That's the way it is here. If you open a DB early, even if you close it after the ready time, it will remain on your pup screen and you have to open it again after the ready time to get it to clear off your screen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm pretty sure the sign won't switch to closed unless you open it at the ready time

Are you sure? One of my drop boxes has an Express box right next to it and I have seen it marked as having been picked up before the commit time.

Ours switch to Picked Up as soon as we open the door. They change back to Not Picked Up 6 hours later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A lot of FedEx express DB are broken and always say picked up. I don't think I've ever seen one switch when ever I open it.

3 of my drop boxes have broken pickup indicator flags. I have taped a folded piece of paper over each of them so that people don't get confused. It doesn't work---they still throw stuff in there for Express and the Post Office.