keyless entry

brownelf

had the opportunity to drive a new P1000 yesterday with the keyless entry and wasn't impressed by it as much as the fact that it was a truck with a low step and power steering.( route normally has POS P800 destined for the Henry Ford Museum) The keyless start was nice but the doors don't always work properly and this is a brand new vehicle, the rear door cannot be opened from the inside without the FOB and if you wait a few seconds too long it will relatch as you're trying to open the door, usually about a third of the way open. The front door tends to stick in the locked position at times which caused me to lose more time trying to get it to open than it saved when it worked. But when it did work it was handy to have the door open automatically after turning the ignition off, but if you're coming back with an armload of pkgs you still need to set them down on the floor of cab to climb into truck using 3 pts of contact of which there now is no handrail to grab. Wish the powers that be would realize that their money would be better allocated replacing package cars that are outdated than adding things like telematics and keyless entry to them. They can put all the lipstick they want on a P800 pig, but it's still gonna be a pig.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
had the opportunity to drive a new P1000 yesterday with the keyless entry and wasn't impressed by it as much as the fact that it was a truck with a low step and power steering.( route normally has POS P800 destined for the Henry Ford Museum) The keyless start was nice but the doors don't always work properly and this is a brand new vehicle, the rear door cannot be opened from the inside without the FOB and if you wait a few seconds too long it will relatch as you're trying to open the door, usually about a third of the way open. The front door tends to stick in the locked position at times which caused me to lose more time trying to get it to open than it saved when it worked. But when it did work it was handy to have the door open automatically after turning the ignition off, but if you're coming back with an armload of pkgs you still need to set them down on the floor of cab to climb into truck using 3 pts of contact of which there now is no handrail to grab. Wish the powers that be would realize that their money would be better allocated replacing package cars that are outdated than adding things like telematics and keyless entry to them. They can put all the lipstick they want on a P800 pig, but it's still gonna be a pig.

I had the BH door stick in the open position for several minutes. Was going to call it, in but it eventually closed. Not sure how to close it manually - when it's open, it's open. :) Any ideas?

xkingx

i dont wear the fob on my belt loop.. i find it works best if i leave it hanging from the zip tie that hangs from the camera..and i really dislike the fact that you have all of two secs to open the rear door..

screamin chicken

its funny how they always add stops but never take stops, like having to pull my mirror in at every stop, tearing up my shoulder and having to replace my mirror every other week because it wears out and whil im driving it folds in, how safe is that

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
its funny how they always add stops but never take stops, like having to pull my mirror in at every stop, tearing up my shoulder and having to replace my mirror every other week because it wears out and whil im driving it folds in, how safe is that

It isnt safe.

Which is why you shouldnt be doing it.

We have the right to refuse unsafe work. When they told me I had to fold the mirror in at every stop, I told them it wasnt safe and I wasnt going to do it. End of discussion, problem solved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i dont wear the fob on my belt loop.. i find it works best if i leave it hanging from the zip tie that hangs from the camera..and i really dislike the fact that you have all of two secs to open the rear door..

How is this any different from leaving the keys in the ignition while away from the pkg car?

JonFrum

Ahhhh so that is why all but a couple of the spares are gone to Lynnfield and we are short vehicles. And yes, the p800s I was using with the keyless entry were a mix of junker 800 and 1000s and some newer ones, so they are clearly at least testing the technology on crap vehicles too. ( although we ARE certainly using those junkers as shuttle cars and air vehicles, they're limited use)
We've been seriously short vehicles for over a year, despite getting a few brand new ones. Even though we've gotten hand-me-downs from Vermont, New York, and Chema, we are still short. An epidemic of cracked frames and old age have sent so many vehicles to The Crusher.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I thought the key dangling from our finger was to chim and get customer attention. What will they do to replace the chimming key? attach an air horn to the key ring?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought the key dangling from our finger was to chim and get customer attention. What will they do to replace the chimming key? attach an air horn to the key ring?

We were taught to put the keys in the right front pocket, the COD money in the front left pocket and to use the horn to alert the customer.

tourists24

We are now instructed to honk at every single stop we go to now. That will certainly get every customers attention.... :)

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
We are now instructed to honk at every single stop we go to now. That will certainly get every customers attention.... :)
It gets their attention all right. We've already had complaints called in about drivers blowing their horns and waking up children taking their naps.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

That is against the law in most of the cities around here. They tried to make us honk at every stop, but very few of us do. There is an appropriate time and place to use the horn, but blaring it continously is not it.

tourists24

That is against the law in most of the cities around here. They tried to make us honk at every stop, but very few of us do. There is an appropriate time and place to use the horn, but blaring it continously is not it.
thats what I told them the other day on my 2nd on area of the week... that they would gig me everytime for not doing this.... its unsafe and stupid

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's stupid in the city. A gentle tap on a rural route will, usually, get the customer to come to the truck. But, it is our job to deliver to the front door. Do they expect commercial accounts to come to the truck and cart their own stuff in?