keyless entry

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We had a driver tear his bicep trying to open the rear roll up door on a retrofit keyless entry 10 cube. UPS never trained him on how to open it. You have to wait a 8 seconds or something and it only goes up one panel at a time.
Safety first but no safety training for this driver and now UPS wants to blame him.
Shame on UPS and shame on the Union for not making sure these keyless entry systems are safe and that employees are properly trained.
Production first; everything else last
I totally agree. I couldnt get 1.footing, 2 access to the safety, 3 access to the lever, and it was the same the day before with my sup. But the next day, it was "good to run, use the key", the key didnt work. So once I did get it open with help from a customer, and feeling like a total jerk, coz I had to ask some girl who probably never lifted over 10 pds to come out and turn the handle when I said, and not before or Ill lose a finger....How ergonomically impossible is this maneuver? I had to use my knee to push it up, and the panel with a lip was so low and Im pretty tall like most guys, push one left push one right and LIFT. My knee hurts like heck, feels bruised inside, not b&b yet. The management was unaware it was retrofitted in the body shop.
Dont get me wrong I feel it will be a blessing as my carpal tunnel is really bad especially when cold and the repetiveness of the fob is much better than the key, but it was a known to those who install them in hubs and large centers, that the instructions were wrong for a retrofit, shouldnt that info have been passed on? I dont know how many times a day I tried with 2 pushes to get that door open, and wait 15 secs for reset. and do this fruitless maneuver again and again. It was not til I cleared my head, when I was off the road, I said, everything else works something is wrong, so I pushed it three times for shts and giggles and..................... click.
A simple heads up to the crew could have eliminated all this hassle, all this wasted time.
Do not even try to talk to me Monday about my overallow. Eat it if you people knew what was going on, I could have had dinner with my family, instead of figuring out what you should have known. go yell at someone else, dont come to me.

bumped

Well remember the info brown truck mechanice gave. My life will be so much better now. I think it is a great system, when it worksm when it doesnt it may drive you to drink.
Like he says the ones that come with it work almost flawlessly, but what will happen when the key fobs battery die? Do they know the battery life, will they be replaced on a schedule?
I believe mine is the first one retrofitted, and only because it was at the hub for a month getting fixed from the wreck. So without the knowledge, no one knew it was 3xs for the back as the rest are 2xs. That lack of communications cost them about 100 bucks that would not have been needed to be spent in OT, for me, and wasted mechanic time for them. Trying to fix something that was not broke.

I've had it for over 2 years now, and ours is only 2x for the back, and press and hold for the bulkhead. No scheduled maintenace for the batteries. Write it up when it dies and go old school. I've also had when the black box dies and that needs to be replaced. I've had loose connection to the push button start where it won't start all the time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I've had it for over 2 years now, and ours is only 2x for the back, and press and hold for the bulkhead. No scheduled maintenace for the batteries. Write it up when it dies and go old school. I've also had when the black box dies and that needs to be replaced. I've had loose connection to the push button start where it won't start all the time.
I see this being a constant problem on my rte. I have some very rough roads, lots of dust and dirt. :vacuumsm:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got the keyless system today and have a couple of questions. I like the fact that I can open the bulkhead door with a push of the button after I kill the ignition. I will have to change my routine, as in the specific steps I go through when starting the car. So, what is the fastest way to start the car? Also, where do most of you wear the FOB? I was told to wear it in front of my right front pocket, but it seems to get in the way of the seatbelt and DIAD Clip. I moved it around to several places during the day, so I am trying to figure that out. Also, we are getting DIAD 5 this month, and those holsters look mighty bulky to me.

I got the keyless system today and have a couple of questions. I like the fact that I can open the bulkhead door with a push of the button after I kill the ignition. I will have to change my routine, as in the specific steps I go through when starting the car. So, what is the fastest way to start the car? Also, where do most of you wear the FOB? I was told to wear it in front of my right front pocket, but it seems to get in the way of the seatbelt and DIAD Clip. I moved it around to several places during the day, so I am trying to figure that out. Also, we are getting DIAD 5 this month, and those holsters look mighty bulky to me.

I put my diad on the right side so I wear the fob on the left front belt loop. After I complete a stop I hit the button as I'm walking to the car, drop diad, hold the button on the dash as I'm going to sit, if its auto I put the car in drive, click seat belt as I'm just barely rolling. Same as if I'm in a standard just instead of putting the car in drive I start letting the clutch out as I'm putting on the seat belt. That seems to work the fastest for me.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
if its auto I put the car in drive, click seat belt as I'm just barely rolling.

Someone's going to have quite a few "seatbelt violations" doing it that way.

The most efficient way I have found to start the car is this. As I approach the car I have Diad in pouch on my right side, and the key fob is on the belt loop just in front of the diad pouch. I click the button on the fob to prime the system, grab the diad and toss it in its holder. Then I hit the toggle switch to start the vehicle while I'm sitting down and by the time I am buckled up, the car is on and ready to roll.

yeldarb

Someone's going to have quite a few "seatbelt violations" doing it that way.

The most efficient way I have found to start the car is this. As I approach the car I have Diad in pouch on my right side, and the key fob is on the belt loop just in front of the diad pouch. I click the button on the fob to prime the system, grab the diad and toss it in its holder. Then I hit the toggle switch to start the vehicle while I'm sitting down and by the time I am buckled up, the car is on and ready to roll.

Mine is an automatic, and I use the same hand to latch the seatbelt as I do to put it in drive. Never any seatbelt instances.

browned out

We had a driver tear his bicep trying to open the rear roll up door on a retrofit keyless entry 10 cube. UPS never trained him on how to open it. You have to wait a 8 seconds or something and it only goes up one panel at a time.
Safety first but no safety training for this driver and now UPS wants to blame him.
Shame on UPS and shame on the Union for not making sure these keyless entry systems are safe and that employees are properly trained.
Production first; everything else last

Update on driver; he has to have surgery to reatach the tendon. He will be out six to eight weeks. At first he said management was really nice to him but when he stated he wanted his full 9 and a half hours TAW work; Management got very abrasive. The driver is very upset and told other drivers; dont get hurt at UPS. This is another instance of Management penalizing employees for getting hurt with the goal of having employees not report injuries.

His pay code was also changed to a clerk code that is about $6 less an hour. He brought this up and management acted like they had nothing to do with it.
Someone in management had to go in and change this code to make it the lower wage. Very unethical but at least the driver noticed the pay rate change and got it corrected.

upsgrunt

Scratch,
I got the keyless last Monday. It is faster to start if you tap the start button and then tap it again. It only took my a couple hours to figure that out. I think I like it, but after 25 years of using keys, the routine is definitely different. I'll give it a fair amount of time to get used to it.

cino321

More crap to carry around. Keys, Key FOB, DIAD, DIAD Clip, Pen, Infonotices... just never ends.

Sorry this stuff frustrates me. I have a lot of walk ups.

yeldarb

More crap to carry around. Keys, Key FOB, DIAD, DIAD Clip, Pen, Infonotices... just never ends.

Sorry this stuff frustrates me. I have a lot of walk ups.

I would take a fob on my belt loop over a key ring on my finger any day of the week. If carrying a pen and infonotices frustrates you, what doesnt frustrate you?

Last edited:

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Drove one yesterday for the first time, it went pretty well. Pretty cool to hit the stop button twice and have the bulk head door open

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I keep reaching to my pocket and not having my keys and do a nano second freakout.
You know you are getting used to it, when you jump in your own truck to go home and go to push a button on the dash!!!!
My carpal tunnel will flare much less Im sure.
The back door does not want to respond, when the corner where the sensor is, has pkgs in it.
Also I have to give the fob a rub to wake it up in the am.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Scratch,
I got the keyless last Monday. It is faster to start if you tap the start button and then tap it again. It only took my a couple hours to figure that out. I think I like it, but after 25 years of using keys, the routine is definitely different. I'll give it a fair amount of time to get used to it.

I asked my center manager for directions, since there were none at all, and he took me to my package car and gave me a personal demostration. He told me I had to have my foot on the brake pedal before I started the engine, I wasted a lot of time before I figured out this wasn't the case. I got to where I would click the FOB as I approached the car, and then I would tap the dash switch as I was sitting down before I put my seatbelt on. This is all new and I will have to retrain myself in my methods. I do like that the bulkhead door opening with the second push of the off switch, its almost as fast as riding around with the bulkhead door open.(Not that I would do that!) I wish that there was some kind of timer switch that would shut the door automatically, that would save a motion. I like the door, but right now I feel like the ignition part is slowing me down. Sometimes the system seems like it has to reset itself and loses time. I will just have to get used to it.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I put my diad on the right side so I wear the fob on the left front belt loop. After I complete a stop I hit the button as I'm walking to the car, drop diad, hold the button on the dash as I'm going to sit, if its auto I put the car in drive, click seat belt as I'm just barely rolling. Same as if I'm in a standard just instead of putting the car in drive I start letting the clutch out as I'm putting on the seat belt. That seems to work the fastest for me.
That'll get you in trouble with telematics. Change the habit of drive before seat belt. The sooner the better.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would take a fob on my belt loop over a key ring on my finger any day of the week. If carrying a pen and infonotices frustrates you, what doesnt frustrate you?
I have never carried my keys on my finger with any regularity. I have an S-Biner clip on my belt loop that I attach my keys to when they are not in the ignition.

Done it for years. I works really well. I tried a single latch carabiner for awhile and it kept rolling. I had to flip it to open and pull my keys off. I doubt that I will have any problem adjusting to keeping my keys on my belt loop.