Labor Shortage

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Top PT rate in 1980 was same as FT. I think it was around $14/hour. And there was only a 1 year progression to get to top rate.

The infamous “82” (sucker) bonus two tier contract changed that for good.

Jackie Presser was at the helm...the heavy set gentlemen who was carried in smiling during a Teamster Convention by members dressed in Roman soldier costumes.

That photo will stand as a classic example of what a Union should not be. Elitism to the nigh degree, remember we are paying these guys their salaries and they need to be working for us not the other way around.

nWo

Here in New Jersey Ups start new part time hires at 20 dollars an hour and they still can't fill position. We're working two jobs position. Burn out! Don't like that they're starting at a better rate, but we desperately need the help. 7 are hired 6 quit. There's nothing you can do. These young kids are not use to working hard ups giving them 6 trucks to load at the bottom of the belt.

Maybe we should give them health insurance and stop treating them like dog :censored2:?
The company across the street pays better, has benefits from day 1, has better hours and better working conditions. And why would anyone want to work with people that , "don't like that they're starting at a better rate?"

Maybe we should give them health insurance and stop treating them like dog *?
The company across the street pays better, has benefits from day 1, has better hours and better working conditions. And why would anyone want to work with people that , "don't like that they're starting at a better rate?"
Because the company across the street is not going to give you the long-term benefits and pay that you will get from here.

Made brown

Its very disturbing how the youth today won't sacrifice for something better in the future. Nobody can be bothered with the future. They would prefer to get decent job now and stay there. The full time jobs here pay really good, and are earned but everyone wants it all day one.
I hear this a lot from my friends at other union jobs with pensions and excellent benefits, they cannot get people to work for them. My buddy said they are hiring people full time on day one and offering a 7000 dollar sign on bonus. This is unheard of typically in the union LTL world. Most had to start as a casual with no set schedule for months before they would make you full time.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Its very disturbing how the youth today won't sacrifice for something better in the future. Nobody can be bothered with the future. They would prefer to get decent job now and stay there. The full time jobs here pay really good, and are earned but everyone wants it all day one.
I hear this a lot from my friends at other union jobs with pensions and excellent benefits, they cannot get people to work for them. My buddy said they are hiring people full time on day one and offering a 7000 dollar sign on bonus. This is unheard of typically in the union LTL world. Most had to start as a casual with no set schedule for months before they would make you full time.

It's not that disturbing to imagine that people want to make the same money for doing the same job as someone else. People who are ok with making less are suckers. The future is great, but you have to survive long enough to get there. When people who are running things keep getting less and less competent, it doesn't instill much confidence in a bright future. People are wise to get as much as they can while they still can.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Top PT rate in 1980 was same as FT. I think it was around $14/hour. And there was only a 1 year progression to get to top rate.

Recently I dug up some old contract books...here it is in a nutshell..

Starting hourly rate in The 1987 for part timers was negotiated at $8 .00 an hour.

Twenty one years later in 2008 it was at $8.50.

It went up .a whole .50 cent in two decades.

PT Car Washer

Starting hourly rate in The 1987 for part timers was negotiated at $8 .00 an hour.

In 1982 the negotiated starting PT rate was $8/hr. 26 years later. The Union called it a victory for PT.

Well the problem is they should have done what it is contract where every year the starting rate goes up a little bit each year

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
So if minimum wage was 3.50$ an hour in 82 and ups was paying 8$ an hour. That would be around 30$ an hour in today's money.But people like @Well-Known Member wouldn't stand for that despite UPS making record profits.
In 1982 the negotiated starting PT rate was $8/hr. 26 years later. The Union called it a victory for PT.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So if minimum wage was 3.50$ an hour in 82 and ups was paying 8$ an hour. That would be around 30$ an hour in today's money.But people like @Well-Known Member wouldn't stand for that despite UPS making record profits.

9d20702d-5d3f-40fc-98d8-4487e88e0135_text.gif

Back From Break

I hate to burst your bubble, but $8/hr in 1982 is roughly $22/hr today.

And guess what? That's what UPS is paying in the markets that they cannot get enough workers.

Learn economics before you go spewing your mouth about something you don't have a clue about.

Last edited:

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.

And guess what? That's what UPS is paying in the markets that they cannot get enough workers.

Learn economics before you go spewing your mouth about something you don't have a clue about.
I was off by a few dollars big deal.You fall for it every time,get to the part where you say part time union brothers and sisters don't vote deserve nothing while ups keeps raking in record profits!!By the way I am making a whopping 5.50 in 1982's dollar value. Have you ever considered going in to management?I could totally see you shaving time of part timers time cards.
fear.png
:thumbsup:

PT Car Washer

I agree that $8/hr in 1982 was still way above minimum wage. It was also a large wage concession to what PT wages were before. I never believed that PT starting wages would stagnant for 30 years.