Labor Shortage

tenor (1) (25).gif

Made brown

It's not that disturbing to imagine that people want to make the same money for doing the same job as someone else. People who are ok with making less are suckers. The future is great, but you have to survive long enough to get there. When people who are running things keep getting less and less competent, it doesn't instill much confidence in a bright future. People are wise to get as much as they can while they still can.
I get it and I remember telling the senior guys "how am I gonna support a family (I started young) on part time wages and hours not knowing if i was going to work"? The answers I got every time were close to the same, they worked 2 jobs until they got hired full time at this one.I understand not everything is as easy as it sounds but guess its all based on priorities.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I get it and I remember telling the senior guys "how am I gonna support a family (I started young) on part time wages and hours not knowing if i was going to work"? The answers I got every time were close to the same, they worked 2 jobs until they got hired full time at this one.I understand not everything is as easy as it sounds but guess its all based on priorities.

Oh, yeah, I worked up to 5 jobs at once because I can't sit around and wait for conditions to improve to achieve my financial goals. It took me 7 years of waiting. Dudes now roll in and are driving after two months. People dropping out of the labor force is a great thing, makes employers a little more grateful.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Part timers are disposable
Don’t like it move on
thanks for the tip gramps
Oh, yeah, I worked up to 5 jobs at once because I can't sit around and wait for conditions to improve to achieve my financial goals. It took me 7 years of waiting. Dudes now roll in and are driving after two months. People dropping out of the labor force is a great thing, makes employers a little more grateful.
I get it I work my ass off sometimes doing 2 peoples jobs,loading the bulk on the belt and pulling it for my area for the whole shift,when I am not doing that I work 3 trailers at once in my work area,The reward I get is time shaved off my time card (old unit manager)I got a new manager that shot me a 30 dollar gift card for being the top worker in my area,I don't know how long he will be there management doesn't like him.When he is not there I get ripped off.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
thanks for the tip gramps

I get it I work my ass off sometimes doing 2 peoples jobs,loading the bulk on the belt and pulling it for my area for the whole shift,when I am not doing that I work 3 trailers at once in my work area,The reward I get is time shaved off my time card (old unit manager)I got a new manager that shot me a 30 dollar gift card for being the top worker in my area,I don't know how long he will be there management doesn't like him.When he is not there I get ripped off.

Ov7oTnZ.gif

Off the leash

Here in New Jersey Ups start new part time hires at 20 dollars an hour and they still can't fill position. We're working two jobs position. Burn out! Don't like that they're starting at a better rate, but we desperately need the help. 7 are hired 6 quit. There's nothing you can do. These young kids are not use to working hard ups giving them 6 trucks to load at the bottom of the belt.
They can’t work hard, they don’t know how to. They’re pampered

Off the leash

Its very disturbing how the youth today won't sacrifice for something better in the future. Nobody can be bothered with the future. They would prefer to get decent job now and stay there. The full time jobs here pay really good, and are earned but everyone wants it all day one.
I hear this a lot from my friends at other union jobs with pensions and excellent benefits, they cannot get people to work for them. My buddy said they are hiring people full time on day one and offering a 7000 dollar sign on bonus. This is unheard of typically in the union LTL world. Most had to start as a casual with no set schedule for months before they would make you full time.
I busted my ass as a casual for 3 years. But I worked 9 months a year. It sucked but I stuck it out and finally made the list. Can’t work that many months a year as a casual now.

We got no raise for starting wage here in NEPA as there is no demand for our job nor competition(their words).....I've only been a preloader for 1.5 years, working on qualifying as a driver now....but stuck at 14.50 an hour till our next raise(aug) sucks. Good for the people who got the better pay...

Our facility really gets nothing....we are in the Stone age, one belt, no extendos....small ass building with 30 routes with most cars, any size, blown out, except for a few high seniority guys

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
get it I work my ass off sometimes doing 2 peoples jobs,loading the bulk on the belt and pulling it for my area for the whole shift,when I am not doing that I work 3 trailers at once in my work area,
Why?
Do you get paid extra for all this?

they are so cute at this stage

quad decade guy

Out here in Southern California, new employee rate starts at 18 dollars. Locally, Amazon has now started to offer 20 dollars an hour. Most other warehouses, distribution centers and logistics companies have been following suite like Target Distribution, Walmart, DHL and more. I've had conversation with members of mgmt and trainers who said that UPS is still struggling to fill roles at 18 dollars an hour. UPS is going to have trouble competing for workers come the holidays due to the hourly wage and the fact that these positions are part time. Do you all see another wage increase coming? How about the elimination of the part time role? If another wage increase does come, how do members with seniority feel that new workers are starting off in a better position without the Unions involvement?
OMG this laughable.

Hey man....they are trying to go ALL PART TIME......

Explain "without the Union's involvement". Please.

Back From Break
I was off by a few dollars big deal.

A few dollars? Yeah, right

You fall for it every time,get to the part where you say part time union brothers and sisters don't vote deserve nothing while ups keeps raking in record profits!

I never said they deserve nothing. I love it when idiots put words in other peoples mouthes to advance their agenda.

I said that if the part timers actually voted, that they could control the entire contract and get the wage that they wanted.

By the way I am making a whopping 5.50 in 1982's dollar value.

Almost double the minimum wage. What are you bitching about?

EmpireUPS909

Trailer sweep is a cake walk
OMG this laughable.

Hey man....they are trying to go ALL PART TIME......

Explain "without the Union's involvement". Please.
The raises that Part Timers are getting are not being negotiated by the Union. These raises are given differently on a case by case basis. As far as I know, the Union is not involved in this process.

nWo

A few dollars? Yeah, right

I never said they deserve nothing. I love it when idiots put words in other peoples mouthes to advance their agenda.

I said that if the part timers actually voted, that they could control the entire contract and get the wage that they wanted.

Almost double the minimum wage. What are you bitching about?

The part timers voted the contract down. The lazy obese full timers didn't bother to vote.

nWo

And the contract was negotiated and pushed through by people that were put into power long before most part timers were even employed at UPS.