Labor Shortage

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You think the company is going to get rid of the pension?

No...I am saying that there is a possibility that the part timers in the Central and Southern might be looking for a switch into a matched 401k. Just from what is going on with the elimination of funding into the management’s pension plans in 2023 and the selling of UPS Freight and it’s pension liabilities it appears that all defined pension plans controlled by the company are on the chopping block.

Seriously just how many part timers are hanging around for 5 years to become vested? The old timers will still have their vested time in and that can not be taken away by federal law. It makes more sense to offer a matched portable 401k plan to a young part timer as an incentive to hire and retain, these kids could care less whether they are in a traditional pension plan, most will bail in a year or two. They can transfer any monetary contributions into their new employer’s 401k or roll it over into another investment portfolio.

This 401k switch if it happens will only apply to those part timers under the UPS Pension Plan, those part time members in the Western Conferences will continue to stay under their current plan. All full timers will also stay in their current pension trusts also, that would be a strike issue for sure if that funding is eliminated.

This is all speculation..I know as little as everybody else on what will happen in two years.

nWo

There's some young people who are lazy. But there's a lot of young people who know their worth. And they aren't willing to work for scraps. If UPS wants to attract and retain top talent then they have to pay a good wage.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Why?
Do you get paid extra for all this?

they are so cute at this stage
That's the way I've always worked,I take pride in my work,not like all these stupid kids I work with hiding in a trailer,or just showing up to work to steal.

Off the leash

There's some young people who are lazy. But there's a lot of young people who know their worth. And they aren't willing to work for scraps. If UPS wants to attract and retain top talent then they have to pay a good wage.
Most think there special, got participation trophy’s when they were kids. I’ve had help sent to me when I was slammed, that didn’t want to take my chases! That’s what your here for! I wouldn’t have dared done that to driver with 15 or more years when I was a new fish. No respect, and they want it all right away. Got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues and you know it don’t come easy. Not all to be sure but to many. Just saying.

It's not all about the hourly rate but how much you take home on Friday for the younger members, Health insurance, pensions and the opportunity to be a 22.4 delivery driver mean nothing to a lot of new hires. Other employers may pay less per hour but offer more hours so they have a larger paycheck on Friday. A big drawing card for working PT at UPS was having weekends and Holidays off and a bigger paycheck then your buddies pumping gas for 30+ hours a week and all day Saturday.

Then stay in school get an MBA an try to move up the corporate ladder. Nobody is forcing you into this life. If you don’t like it quit. It’s still pays better than most jobs, but you have to work hard. Ain’t for everyone.
Or get a job as a Union janitor making $80k/yr and 7 weeks paid vacation and a pension paying more then what most working people earn in a year.