Labor woes stacking up for UPS

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
What boggles my mind is Fedex'ers posting on a UPS site. Who do they think they are. Oh---and those retired people who can't seen to move on.
I look forward to the old retired persons perspective to let the newbies know how tough it was back in the day.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I look forward to the old retired persons perspective to let the newbies know how tough it was back in the day.
It wasn't tough. The smart ones used good ol common sense. However people don't realize that if the company had held on for just one more week , the hourlies would have caved in. There was plenty of tell-tale signs on the picket line during the second week in 97.

hourlies today do not have the back bone for a strike and both sides know it. UPS will win at the negotiation table. SAD.

We never took the pension as a "given." nor social security. we maxed out the 401k and Ira's every year. also cash savings and paid off house in almost half the time. I think it was something I learned from my parents whose families had an actual tough time during the 30's depression.

rod

Retired 22 years
It wasn't tough. The smart ones used good ol common sense. However people don't realize that if the company had held on for just one more week , the hourlies would have caved in. There was plenty of tell-tale signs on the picket line during the second week in 97.

hourlies today do not have the back bone for a strike and both sides know it. UPS will win at the negotiation table. SAD.

We never took the pension as a "given." nor social security. we maxed out the 401k and Ira's every year. also cash savings and paid off house in almost half the time. I think it was something I learned from my parents whose families had an actual tough time during the 30's depression.

Maybe where you were at but we were just getting dug in at our vacant lot across the street from the UPS building. We had a large Army tent set up with electricity and cooking equipment. Someone was always grilling something and we even had a bear roast. There were a couple of army cots in the tent and a port-a-pot on the lot to use. A good friend of ours a block away who owned a beer distributorship and also was a Northstar Ice dealer constantly dropped off stuff for us. The Yellow Freight guys would drop off a couple cases of pop when they came by. It was almost sad when it was announced that a settlement had been reached and we had to go back to work. It had been party central. There was always at least a dozen guys hanging out. That vacant lot is still there so I'm looking forward to bringing the troops a case of beer or two this time.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
But it didnt matter it was nothing. We had not even missed pay and the news had people on crying they would have no food and their rent was due, It was pathetic.

upschuck

Does the new strike fund have the 1 week wait to get the check?

In my local, we have a supplemental strike fund, that we've been paying in since just after the last strike. Don't know what that pays in addition.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I suspect that it will be similar to last time, passing, with some holdouts, and a decent sized retro check.

We had our meeting yesterday and I asked if I could still vote on this one. Our BA told us that you have to be a member in good standing at least one month before the contract expires to be eligible to vote.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Maybe where you were at but we were just getting dug in at our vacant lot across the street from the UPS building. We had a large Army tent set up with electricity and cooking equipment. Someone was always grilling something and we even had a bear roast. There were a couple of army cots in the tent and a port-a-pot on the lot to use. A good friend of ours a block away who owned a beer distributorship and also was a Northstar Ice dealer constantly dropped off stuff for us. The Yellow Freight guys would drop off a couple cases of pop when they came by. It was almost sad when it was announced that a settlement had been reached and we had to go back to work. It had been party central. There was always at least a dozen guys hanging out. That vacant lot is still there so I'm looking forward to bringing the troops a case of beer or two this time.
Wow! great. Our line started out great as most did. As I remember , it was pretty good for the first week. Then slowly it became less and less and it was pathetic as drivers would stop by and brag that they just came from the golf course or softball field. It made me sick to the stomach.

One day I was the only one that showed up until a UPS pilot came by and kept me company. They were not even on strike but he was a stand up guy showing his solidarity. ( at the Reno airport mini hub ) The BA had asked me to go out there and picket probably because he knew the turnout would be bad.

At our main hub ( 800 people ) maybe a dozen showed up everyday until the end when it would be only a handful. I still have the pictures .

I also did picket line duty at a different hub across the lake. had to get permission from the local to do that. the solidarity there was a little better. 4 people showed out of 60 or so.

this was in a right to work state. don't know if that made any difference. I know things were stronger in the cities of the bay area and real Teamster strong holds like some cities in the midwest and northeast.

it just wasn't so where i was at. I remember when we went back to work supervisors were asking us how much longer we would have stayed out. unbelievable as it may sound , a lot of drivers were telling them. "not much longer" or saying they had bills to pay and were scared . i was telling people to shut up about it.