Laying off 22.4s.

Returntosender

Just real quick here that yes I've been "laid off" The BA here I have faith can twist some arms more favorably but for now I will be demanding two PT shifts and driving Saturday and even expect to bring home a higher paycheck than normal before the possible grievances even come in. Dream come true. going to Walmart for some jeans and logo T shirts

For some of you old heads. layoffs of course are nothing new, they just have extra spice to them this time.
44E4BCE6-FC8A-42BE-B674-38C7D1F994B8.jpeg

Shorts365

Update for anyone who cares: this evening the center manager(s) called up the highest seniority 22.4s and told them to forget what they were told on Tuesday about being sent back inside. The bottomest guys are still going inside. I'm pretty annoyed that the Local had 4 days to communicate to our members, if not in person then at least via phone call or press release, to come down and explain what was happening. Instead we got crickets. Not that they need any handholding, but more than one guy is considering quitting. I'm still wondering how the 22.4s that work Friday night sort are gonna be able to drive Saturday morning.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
Update for anyone who cares: this evening the center manager(s) called up the highest seniority 22.4s and told them to forget what they were told on Tuesday about being sent back inside. The bottomest guys are still going inside. I'm pretty annoyed that the Local had 4 days to communicate to our members, if not in person then at least via phone call or press release, to come down and explain what was happening. Instead we got crickets. Not that they need any handholding, but more than one guy is considering quitting. I'm still wondering how the 22.4s that work Friday night sort are gonna be able to drive Saturday morning.
Safely and get 12 hours

FozziesDeliveries

10 hours between shifts. So as long as they are off at 11 pm they can drive at 9 am the next day.

Is it smart?
No.

Does Ups care?
hysterical-laughter.gif

No they don't give a FRIEND about our health and safety, they have numbers to hit.

Thebrownblob

If you elect to work two shifts in the building, the company has the right to call you back to work the next day. Having said that in our building, if a laid off, driver chooses to work Preload/ night, the company would have to tell him/her on Thursday in order to have the proper time off, Which would create the issue of him/her missing Friday. We have advised these people to file a grievance for the pay on Friday. And if they worked Monday they would also be entitled to 6 day punch. On the other hand if a driver chooses a hard layoff, they are not required to work at all.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When the managers obviously doesn't know what they are going to do from one day to the next, how can you expect your Local to know and communicate it to you?

Let me fill you in on a little secret, "if you care",

....the 22.4 language was poorly conceived and ill equipped to facilitate a viable alternative to any of the volume fluctuations and anomalies encountered since it's inception.

From the extremes in record volume due to COVID-19, to the falling volume we are experiencing at present, Article 22.4 has been a dismal failure.

Hopefully those affected hang in there, because help is on the way, that much I'm sure of.

Thebrownblob

When the managers obviously doesn't know what they are going to do from one day to the next, how can you expect your Local to know and communicate it to you?

....the 22.4 language was poorly conceived and ill equipped to facilitate a viable alternative to any of the volume fluctuations and anomalies encountered since it's inception.

From the extremes in record volume due to COVID-19, to the falling volume we are experiencing at present, Article 22.4 has been a dismal failure.

Hopefully those affected hang in there, because help is on the way, that much I'm sure of.
Truth

If you elect to work two shifts in the building, the company has the right to call you back to work the next day. Having said that in our building, if a laid off, driver chooses to work Preload/ night, the company would have to tell him/her on Thursday in order to have the proper time off, Which would create the issue of him/her missing Friday. We have advised these people to file a grievance for the pay on Friday. And if they worked Monday they would also be entitled to 6 day punch. On the other hand if a driver chooses a hard layoff, they are not required to work at all.

PT Car Washer

I have yet to see UPS reverse a wage concession.

Shorts365

10 hours between shifts. So as long as they are off at 11 pm they can drive at 9 am the next day.

Specifically I wondering how our guys are going to be provided 8hrs on Fridays because we don't have a day sort (on Fridays), and the night shift begins at 5ish.

Don't have to tell me how dumb and ambiguous the 22.4 language is. I voted no on it the first time around too.

Thanks, this is useful information. Are you saying if a 22.4 chooses the hard layoff, they also are not required to work Saturdays? Would they be eligible for unemployment?

Thebrownblob

Specifically I wondering how our guys are going to be provided 8hrs on Fridays because we don't have a day sort (on Fridays), and the night shift begins at 5ish.

Don't have to tell me how dumb and ambiguous the 22.4 language is. I voted no on it the first time around too.

Thanks, this is useful information. Are you saying if a 22.4 chooses the hard layoff, they also are not required to work Saturdays? Would they be eligible for unemployment?
They are not required to work Saturday if they take a hard layoff. I’ve been told you can apply. I have no idea if you’ll be approved.

MangoMango

Not sure where all of you guys are located, or why everyone seems kind of passive, but in my building, 22.4s were sent to the unemployment line yesterday because of the language in the contract that states if any full time drivers are laid off, 22.4s are laid off completely from UPS and have to collect unemployment until UPS calls them back. It was a $h!t show with drivers yelling at the BA's.

Thebrownblob

Not sure where all of you guys are located, or why everyone seems kind of passive, but in my building, 22.4s were sent to the unemployment line yesterday because of the language in the contract that states if any full time drivers are laid off, 22.4s are laid off completely from UPS and have to collect unemployment until UPS calls them back. It was a $h!t show with drivers yelling at the BA's.
Where does it say that? What supplement are you under?

Thebrownblob

Article 22 NMA
4. No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building.
Article 22 NMA
4. No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building.
They have regular package car drivers laid off? Cutting pretty deep there. They would have to lay off close to 70 people in my building.
Also, once laid off, they are not combination drivers. They are full-time employees displacing part timers according to the building seniority.
Of course I do not know what kind of facility he is in and what kind of shifts are available.

MangoMango

They have regular package car drivers laid off? Cutting pretty deep there. They would have to lay off close to 70 people in my building.
Also, once laid off, they are not combination drivers. They are full-time employees displacing part timers according to the building seniority.
Of course I do not know what kind of facility he is in and what kind of shifts are available.
Apparently UPS only has to lay off a few RPCDs because that's about how many are working in the building. The Union confirmed the language is correct.

Thebrownblob

Apparently UPS only has to lay off a few RPCDs because that's about how many are working in the building. The Union confirmed the language is correct.
I’m not sure what you mean by “They said the language is correct”. If by correct, they meant they cannot work as 22.4 combination drivers that is true. But any “full-time employee” laid off has the right to bump part time employees if they have seniority. At least in the central.
1676141259185.png

The laid off employee also has the right to take a hard layoff.

Last edited: