Laying off 22.4s.

Cheesypurpletees

Not sure where all of you guys are located, or why everyone seems kind of passive, but in my building, 22.4s were sent to the unemployment line yesterday because of the language in the contract that states if any full time drivers are laid off, 22.4s are laid off completely from UPS and have to collect unemployment until UPS calls them back. It was a $h!t show with drivers yelling at the BA's.

That’s wild, in the western supplement after 24 months of a continuous layoff you’re discharged completely and lose senority. It sounds like you’re saying “laid off completely” as in said employee would need to reapply and go through the hiring process again.

MangoMango

I have read the contract, but I am not an expert. The president of our local read the article ( I did not write it down) out loud. He said UPS is using the language, with management nodding in agreement and 22.4s yelling, that 22.4s would not be guaranteed ANY work because of 3 regular full time drivers laid off and working in the building. Management will now pull 30 RPCDs from the bottom of seniority list to cover Saturdays and to expect 25 to 30 stops added to your route daily to make up for the laid off 22.4s.

Cheesypurpletees

I have read the contract, but I am not an expert. The president of our local read the article ( I did not write it down) out loud. He said UPS is using the language, with management nodding in agreement and 22.4s yelling, that 22.4s would not be guaranteed ANY work because of 3 regular full time drivers laid off and working in the building. Management will now pull 30 RPCDs from the bottom of seniority list to cover Saturdays and to expect 25 to 30 stops added to your route daily to make up for the laid off 22.4s.

Aside from the usual Feb-March layoffs I can only speculate; but maybe this is ups preparing for the unions push to end 22.4s.

Last edited:

Hofficer Hater

Not sure where all of you guys are located, or why everyone seems kind of passive, but in my building, 22.4s were sent to the unemployment line yesterday because of the language in the contract that states if any full time drivers are laid off, 22.4s are laid off completely from UPS and have to collect unemployment until UPS calls them back. It was a $h!t show with drivers yelling at the BA's.
...and what local are you out of?

MangoMango

Lol. Add 25 stops to my route and you’ll get a 14 hour day and 25 stops brought back missed. And a 9.5 grieve on your desk next Monday. RPCD STYLE!!! amirite @MECH-lift?
I'm 10 from the top seniority. Enforce 9.5 and then have hours available so they can force me in on Saturday because the rookies are out of hours? What should I do?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
They’ll ask me the night before if I want the day off. They’re begging us to take vacations. My stop count is the same but miles are going up. This is not good gentleman not good. I have about 100 drivers below me.

Thebrownblob

You better read the news headlines

Lots of big companies downsized lots of jobs, lots of high-paying jobs
1676222376099.jpeg