Layoffs After Peak

Seymour Packages

Our building hired unprecedented numbers of drivers from April up until about 2 months ago. Before this week's small surge, a few guys were getting sent home on a daily basis due to no work, even the guys who had recently made book. Once we get past peak, I imagine volume MAY drop. I say may because of how this pandemic has gone so far. I don't think the normal post Christmas dropoff in volume will be so drastic this year due to the fact that people realized they don't have to leave the house anymore to buy anything. I can still see the company massively laying off members because they overhired during the Spring/Summer.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Due to the pandemic changing shopping options I think high volume after peak and post-vaccine is here to stay. I expect the usual layoffs for seasonal workers though. The worse of Peak hasn't hit yet, many hubs are rolling trailers already and big shippers are being refused pickups due to going over their quotas. Because of increased stop counts due to decreasing area size, I see more veteran drivers retiring sooner if they can't get into Feeder. The increased stop counts after COVID hitting in late February led me to decide to go ahead and retire. Climbing in and out of a package car 180 times a day versus 150 times was starting to take a toll on my body.

over9five

Staff member
.....and big shippers are being refused pickups due to going over their quotas.
This blows my mind (as I have one of these pick-ups).
I tell Dispatch that it's no problem, cuz they'll just put those packages on the FedEx trailer that parks right beside me.

But to just blow them off, it pisses me off...

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I tell Dispatch that it's no problem, cuz they'll just put those packages on the FedEx trailer that parks right beside me.

It’s an interesting strategy.
They probably figure, UPS stock is going to explode this month regardless of how well we perform.
200$? Sounds crazy but it’s possible
We’ve all heard of the new CEO “capping” shipments from the big box retailers. All those cheap sure post target packages probably don’t make very much money for the company.
This will be the most unique and interesting peak I’ve seen thus far, that’s for sure. I’m sure we’re all going to be dead by Christmas just like every year, but things feel different this year. Not GOOD, just different

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Our building hired unprecedented numbers of drivers from April up until about 2 months ago. Before this week's small surge, a few guys were getting sent home on a daily basis due to no work, even the guys who had recently made book. Once we get past peak, I imagine volume MAY drop. I say may because of how this pandemic has gone so far. I don't think the normal post Christmas dropoff in volume will be so drastic this year due to the fact that people realized they don't have to leave the house anymore to buy anything. I can still see the company massively laying off members because they overhired during the Spring/Summer.
Yep, goodbye!

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Fedex is doing the same thing, all these shippers are aware that we are at or beyond capacity and have been for last several months

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It’s an interesting strategy.
They probably figure, UPS stock is going to explode this month regardless of how well we perform.
200$? Sounds crazy but it’s possible
We’ve all heard of the new CEO “capping” shipments from the big box retailers. All those cheap sure post target packages probably don’t make very much money for the company.
This will be the most unique and interesting peak I’ve seen thus far, that’s for sure. I’m sure we’re all going to be dead by Christmas just like every year, but things feel different this year. Not GOOD, just different
It's the market at work. Consumers will have to pay the cost of not going to a store.

charm299

I was called today and told not make jc penny pickup. Oms said it was from corporate. Picked up 460 from them yesterday

rod

Retired 22 years
I was called today and told not make jc penny pickup. Oms said it was from corporate. Picked up 460 from them yesterday
Probably not paying their bill. They have been going down hill for a few years now. They built a brand new mega JCP here only to board it up about 5 years later. The building has been vacant for about 5 years now--long enough for the parking lot to start turning into a weed garden.