Layoffs

oldupsman

My driver, who I've known over 20 years and works in my old building, says they're
completely blown out. It's like peak. I don't see how UPS isn't making out great right now.
Volume from Amazon and fuel prices through the floor. And I'm putting my money where
my mouth is. Bought 100 shares of UPS today.

Dumbperson

We have been heavy as hell and running extra routes. My residential area is condensed like Peak Season. Preload is finished early everyday but they still start us fifteen minutes later. Some of the commercial stops are down as expected.
we have weird routes that are stitched together bc volume is down

ManInBrown

Layoffs do not affect progression. Your seniority date sticks with you your entire career.
As long as the employee gets their job back. I have a feeling many people at UPS will permanently lose their job from this. For example the 22.4s that were all just hired within the last year, can pretty much all kiss their jobs goodbye. Anyone think I’m wrong on this? We just hired about 30 off the street feeder drivers who were temps last year. I’d be shocked if one of them keeps their job. I’m not talking temporararily laid off. I’m talking permanent. It will start out as we are laying you off. Go home and wait for a call.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
As long as the employee gets their job back. I have a feeling many people at UPS will permanently lose their job from this. For example the 22.4s that were all just hired within the last year, can pretty much all kiss their jobs goodbye. Anyone think I’m wrong on this? We just hired about 30 off the street feeder drivers who were temps last year. I’d be shocked if one of them keeps their job. I’m not talking temporararily laid off. I’m talking permanent.

we’re not losing our jobs permanently. Most likely a lay off. They got no basis to fire us.

ManInBrown

we’re not losing our jobs permanently. Most likely a lay off. They got no basis to fire us.
Nobody is saying anyone is getting fired. Bloomberg is reporting the effects of this virus on the economy will last ten years. I work with 300+ feeder drivers. How many businesses that are being forced to close do you think will re open when the dust settles? I bet not more than 25%. You think my building is going to need 300 feeder drivers? People are losing their jobs from this. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.

Gone fishin

Nobody is saying anyone is getting fired. Bloomberg is reporting the effects of this virus on the economy will last ten years. I work with 300+ feeder drivers. How many businesses that are being forced to close do you think will re open when the dust settles? I bet not more than 25%. You think my building is going to need 300 feeder drivers? People are losing their jobs from this. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.
I think you are going to be more affected by the self driving feeders. I watched 60 minutes this week and had UPS at the forefront.

moldsporh

How about UPS providing 50% of straight time pay to the ones layed off? Is that too much to ask for their "essential" employees that have been placed in the line of sight of this virus to keep the company going?

542thruNthru

How about UPS providing 50% of straight time pay to the ones layed off? Is that too much to ask for their "essential" employees that have been placed in the line of sight of this virus to keep the company going?

Yes it is too much. You think waitress, bus boys, bartenders, amusement park employees are being paid because they are sitting at home?

Everyone is in the line of sight of this virus. Should college students get automatic degrees because this virus shut down their college... stop looking for a hand out.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

if it’s that dangerous why not stay home

moldsporh

stop looking for a hand out.

I'm not looking for a handout, I'll be ok.

I was thinking of the ones with the lowest seniority. The ones that have just broke through and are just receiving their dental plans etc.

If you want to comment on why it wouldn't work then that's fine I'm open for discussion. Just don't make it look like I can't see what's going on with everybody else in the world either and that I'm trying to get a handout.

SLW

How many businesses that are being forced to close do you think will re open when the dust settles? I bet not more than 25%.
I'm a new 22.4, so I'm gone. But the Spanish flu didn't have an outsize impact on the economy either during or afterwards. Not the same situation here, but something to consider.

One thing I think might happen, though, is not that most businesses close forever, but that they realize from all this that making everyone telework or buy online is a LOT lower overhead, with a lot of companies closing storefronts and offices, but staying in business. That may be better for us (or you, since I guess I'm getting laid off) overall.