Layoffs

Dumbperson

I'm a new 22.4, so I'm gone. But the Spanish flu didn't have an outsize impact on the economy either during or afterwards. Not the same situation here, but something to consider.

One thing I think might happen, though, is not that most businesses close forever, but that they realize from all this that making everyone telework or buy online is a LOT lower overhead, with a lot of companies closing storefronts and offices, but staying in business. That may be better for us (or you, since I guess I'm getting laid off) overall.
Less workers mean less money means less ordering

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I'm a new 22.4, so I'm gone. But the Spanish flu didn't have an outsize impact on the economy either during or afterwards. Not the same situation here, but something to consider.

One thing I think might happen, though, is not that most businesses close forever, but that they realize from all this that making everyone telework or buy online is a LOT lower overhead, with a lot of companies closing storefronts and offices, but staying in business. That may be better for us (or you, since I guess I'm getting laid off) overall.
As soon as the rows of trailers full of closures are popped back open you will probably work again.
Doesnt the contract have a 3 year window for laid off employees to be called back?

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Its in the Central supplement
"Section 3 The seniority of an employee shall be considered broken for the following reasons, and the employee shall be considered terminated: (a) if the employee resigns voluntarily; (b) if the employee is discharged and such discharge is not set aside through the grievance procedure; (c) if the employee is laid off for a period of three (3) years or his/ her length of seniority, whichever is less; or, (d) if the employee fails to report to work for three (3) consecutive working days and does not properly notify the Employer at the beginning of his/her starting time on the third (3rd) day."

Foamer Pyle

Nobody is saying anyone is getting fired. Bloomberg is reporting the effects of this virus on the economy will last ten years. I work with 300+ feeder drivers. How many businesses that are being forced to close do you think will re open when the dust settles? I bet not more than 25%. You think my building is going to need 300 feeder drivers? People are losing their jobs from this. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.
Bloomberg is an idiot.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

Any job you can work at from home can be outsourced to a foreign country. Think about that.

Raw

Raw Member
In the event that they start actually laying off people, I would hope that those who are eligible to retire and are mostly financially sound will volunteer to retire and allow younger workers with families and young children to support to keep working. I know if it was me and I could live without working, I could never watch younger workers lose their jobs if I had it in my power to do something.
I only have 32 years in, need 8 more for 40!