Layoffs

barnyard

KTM rider
None of my shippers have shut down. Did he say why he expects business to slump?
We are down close to 1 trailer of pick up volume. Our mall closed and that accounts for 600-1000 pick up pieces a day. All 3 of my dental offices are closed and none of them are ordering anything. Today was the last day that staff will be in the school buildings. Until they reopen, just custodians and 1 admin in the office. I suspect that pipeline will dry up by Tuesday.

Amazon seems to be picking up the slack. Same with office supply companies. People found out that office supply places still have toilet paper. I have been delivering cases of it.

SLW

Not how it works.
Low seniority will be laid off first.
If I was working I wouldn't retire to help keep younger drivers working.
Considering who the pandemic affects the most, it'd be more logical to keep the youngest guys out there. But you're right, that's just not how it works, unfortunately.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We are down close to 1 trailer of pick up volume. Our mall closed and that accounts for 600-1000 pick up pieces a day. All 3 of my dental offices are closed and none of them are ordering anything. Today was the last day that staff will be in the school buildings. Until they reopen, just custodians and 1 admin in the office. I suspect that pipeline will dry up by Tuesday.

Amazon seems to be picking up the slack. Same with office supply companies. People found out that office supply places still have toilet paper. I have been delivering cases of it.

I have a few dental offices, they are tapering due to not seeing patients, but still getting stuff. Lots of other medical clinics. The only one freaking out and closing is the proctology clinic. The others are still going. My pick up volume has actually been going up. My stop count is only going down because the piece count is through the roof.

Seems to me our center is much busier than normal for this time of year. Usually we have ten guys sitting in the bench from February through May, but we've only had a couple weeks where a handful of people have been laid off.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have been heavy as hell and running extra routes. My residential area is condensed like Peak Season. Preload is finished early everyday but they still start us fifteen minutes later. Some of the commercial stops are down as expected.