Leaving union

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I don’t think you’ll are hearing what thousands of part timers are upset about and why. Roll your eyes all you want, there are many who feel the exact same way. I’ve been reaching out to part timers across the country and we simply want a little more of the pie or many of us are going to stop paying the Teamsters until they represent us. I’d love to just have a decent contract and pay my dues.
Obviously, I hope you get what you seek.

I'm just letting you know leaving the union isn't the solution and don't be surprised if your fellow part timers let you down.

Superteeth2478

Drivers are way more disposable, lots want to work for 36 an hour and most places can’t staff part time workers.
You know, if you think about it she has a point here. Drivers are definitely more disposable. UPS isn't raising driver wages of their own accord and providing attendance bonuses for drivers to come in every day. They're definitely hurting more for part-timers than they are for drivers. At my hub they're oftentimes requiring drivers to double-shift the night and preload sorts because they're so poorly staffed while the driving operation is overstaffed with drivers. As much as both jobs suck, at least drivers are compensated well for what they do. It makes a lot of the suckiness less sucky.

542thruNthru

You know, if you think about it she has a point here. Drivers are definitely more disposable. UPS isn't raising driver wages of their own accord and providing attendance bonuses for drivers to come in every day. They're definitely hurting more for part-timers than they are for drivers. At my hub they're oftentimes requiring drivers to double-shift the night and preload sorts because they're so poorly staffed while the driving operation is overstaffed with drivers. As much as both jobs suck, at least drivers are compensated well for what they do. It makes a lot of the suckiness less sucky.

That's true but it's also not career PT workers that are leaving either. It's the newly hired so the same point goes against her as well.

There is also a reason she and others will not become drivers. They don't want to because they see how bad it is. They see the hours, hard work and harassment. So the $36 must not be good enough if so many PT workers are refusing to do it.

Again I think all the PT workers deserve a raise. No one is arguing that point. The point we are arguing is trying to ruin the union because you didn't get what you wanted is dumb.

Tony Q

Even though I got blasted for saying I’m leaving the union if this contract passes as is, looks like hundreds if not thousands of part timers are set to do same thing. Next time you vote with the mind set, I got mine, you can thank yourself for the dwindling union and income from dues. Better save up because your union pension might be worthless by the time you need it.
It was nice knowing you. Look for the code words if you ever make it to the panel and your job is on the line. You will feel the whole membership has its advantages feeling.

Time for change

Tony- if I make it to panel and lose my job, I can easily find a job in similar ballpark as this one. I haven’t even gotten a warning letter or verbal warning, not worried. Drivers would have a much harder time finding a comparable job. Really all the leaving union talk is just hyperbole, since this contract has no chance to pass as is without the IBT rigging the election.

Cardb0ard.

Beer and more beer
Tony- if I make it to panel and lose my job, I can easily find a job in similar ballpark as this one. I haven’t even gotten a warning letter or verbal warning, not worried. Drivers would have a much harder time finding a comparable job. Really all the leaving union talk is just hyperbole, since this contract has no chance to pass as is without the IBT rigging the election.
So you haven’t gotten a verbal or letter yet.. well I mean you won’t get none of that once you leave the union. But you don’t care since your the perfect employee that won’t get fired. You’ll just get the boot through the door the second you mess up. Good luck.
I’ll just sit back and enjoy my job protection, even if this contract passes as is I’ll never leave the union.

Time for change

They literally can’t find people to work here and are begging any dirtbag with or without teeth to work. Half the new hires look like they are on meth but they’ll just fire me for no reason. Oooook. Anyway this contract won’t pass without going back to the table or rigging so it’s a moot point at least for now.

Last edited:

Trailer monkey

I do have an idea and I’m very happy my pension is not controlled by the corrupt and failing union.
No, it is controlled by a company whose first obligation is to stock holders and will screw you out of it the first chance they get. You have a pension because it is mandated by the union contract. If you do want to be in the union, McDonald's is hiring, see how their pay, benefits, pension, seniority, holidays, vacations and weekends off work for you.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
No, it is controlled by a company whose first obligation is to stock holders and will screw you out of it the first chance they get. You have a pension because it is mandated by the union contract. If you do want to be in the union, McDonald's is hiring, see how their pay, benefits, pension, seniority, holidays, vacations and weekends off work for you.
So is the railroad, pays better with a better pension.
So is Airgas pays 'lil over $28/hour.
So is the Fritolay company, pays $85 K a year.
So is Boeing, Average pay on the floor is north of our $36/hr
So is the postal service, don't know the pay but the Pension is rock solid and you get every holiday known to man off!

Cardb0ard.

Beer and more beer
They literally can’t find people to work here and are begging any dirtbag with or without teeth to work. Half the new hires look like they are on meth but they’ll just fire me for no reason. Oooook. Anyway this contract won’t pass without going back to the table or rigging so it’s a moot point at least for now.
Have fun getting abused by the company. You’re so full of it and don’t realize what you’re actually doing. Anyway not my life nor do I care about you.
Just saying what I think

Gman33909

Quit crying go work at fedeX. All one can do is vote no and encourage others to do the same, yes there is corruption at all high levels of unions, governmens, big companies etc... Be glad we are union in the 1st place, if we weren't you would be making $10 an hour, with no pension, health care, good vacation time etc...

Days

As for why some part timers don't want to drive.

Some are going to school
Some just need the insurance
Some just need extra money on the side

For me it comes down to a few things, even though the pay is great
1.) it's not fun being a new driver. You don't get your own route for quite a long time, you work longer hours than the other drivers, when you finish you have to help other drivers, your seniority is reset, you lose your vacation time, you're often laid off.

2.) you can't have facial hair. It seems silly, but can a guy really put a price on not being able to grow a beard their entire adult life?

3.)I enjoy loading trucks. Yup, it can be hard and the sups can be dumb, but loading trucks is kind of like a real life mini-game. Can be enjoyable, you don't have to talk to anyone, you can listen to music, you can say pretty much anything because there isn't any customer service.

4.). It's incredibly nice to ALWAYS get done at a certain time. Once the drivers are on, you can leave. Doesn't matter if you had the worst day ever and the trucks are a mess, you can go.

Edit: want to add that when you're part time sometimes you can work next to some pretty fun people and have a good time, while drivers are pretty much in isolation. Which can make it hard when you have to lift 150+ lb crates as well lol

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I totally feel where @Time for change is coming from. We've already had too long of poor representation. We failed to get Hoffa out last vote, as a result we're looking at the possibility of five more years with a concession laden contract. How much of your life are you willing invest watching your pay, benefits and working conditions erode. What happens next election when the same clowns get voted in? And the next contract erodes even more? Wash, rinse and repeat? Suddenly you're old enough to retire, want to, but can't because you've been making less than you should have for 15 to 20 years.

Quitting the union isn't the answer. Putting in the effort to improve the union may be noble, but is not very likely to bear fruit any time soon. What good does it do you to put in all that effort only to have the benefit of that work be bestowed upon the next generation who did nothing to earn it? The old timers got theirs, and we're getting residual benefits, but someone dropped the ball at some point, and broke the chain.

I guess the question we're dancing around here is what is our recourse, right now, for a union that is failing to represent us right now? Can we petition the nlrb to investigate the union leadership? Do we say that it's obvious that the leadership is corrupt, but don't really believe it? Is there literally no avenue for recourse other than to rely on probably corrupt election processes? I'd welcome any insight that anyone has.

Time for change

Funny my second job is non union and it’s better pay and solid benefits. I’m not low IQ and worthless and totally reliant on the union for my job like some of you haters. That’s why I’m not scared to leave the union, I am confident enough in myself not to be reliant on them for a livelihood. I’ve said 100 times, I prefer being in a union especially at UPS, but this particular one is too corrupt and not representing us, voting hasn’t done enough to change things so finding new way to put the IBT on notice if this contract passes as is. It’s a garbage contract and someone has to put them on notice or it will never change, and I believe thousands of part timers will join me if existing part timers get screwed again.

Time for change

I was raised in the ghetto by a single mom and was a stay at home mom until my husband died defending our country. I’ve worked two jobs and raised two talented honor roll girls so I really don’t need lecturing from all you on whining or how to live. I know how to fight and overcome and get results, not some whiny keyboard warrior like some of you say. Many of you would have folded or never made it in my shoes so your insults mean absolutely nothing to me.