listen up UPS, Teamster we are people!!!

flipstyle9

Look

Look at what Ups hires as part time mostly "ghetto" and thugs who Ups never will hire as ft to face the public. If they change to pay they can hire better.

Hate me all you want i speak truth

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Re: Joke

Just cause full timers make way more doesn't mean they should forget about where they came from. It is harder today to become ft. Let's be real IBT is for the drivers.

Hate all you want

We forgot where we came from? Please, boy...

Many of us have said that we were working AT LEAST 2 jobs before going full time. I worked 60 hours a week of 2 PHYSICAL jobs for 2 1/2 years to make my bills. So, I suggest you do the same. You can leave Browncafe behind and go apply for another job, then you will be ABOVE your poverty line AND you will be on your way to driving. (Not YOU, personally.....since I don't think you'll even make it 6 months)

beentheredonethat

Or you're happy that you already "got yours" and don't give a damn about anyone that comes after you.

Isn't that what already has happened before? A lot of people may not remember, but there was a time that PT and FT hourlies made virtually the same pay rate (not exactly, but very close to the same pay rate). There are still a few folks like that left, they have been called "red circle" employees since the PT folks at that time kept their pay rate, but all new hires started at a lower rate.

So, to say it will never happen, or not giving a damn of anyone that comes after you. That already occurred by a vote of Teamsters. That vote impacted all the current PT folks and most of you who started at FT at the lower rate.

A lot of companies are going to the same idea of split rates. I'm not saying I'd be happy if I were the new guy that got impacted.

I know a lot of people here say they will never vote for this, and I agree many won't. However, I think UPS learned a lot from the last strike. We thought people were UPS'ers first and Teamsters second. We thought that when given the opportunity to see what was done and why our people would vote the contract in (1997). Since that time, UPS has gotten rid of the knowledge needed for inside Preload operations. We've done similar with the driver position. (ie electronic manifesting in Diad, GPS location for incorrect address etc). Orion isn't a success yet, but that is being worked on still.

If a strike occurs, I don't see UPS backing down this time.

I see UPS first sending letters to the homes of every Teamster, with luck a lot of spouses will be reading the mail and seeing that UPS isn't kidding. UPS will outsource and go to the street and train, we will be a much smaller company but with a control on our costs in the future. As many of you already said, we are beholden to our shareowners now and do what wall street wants.

Ideally a new contract is signed well before the deadline. However, lets' assume there is a strike and the stock price drops due to that. What do you think Wall St analysts would prefer?

A. UPS gives the teamsters what they want and they continue to have a higher paid work force while at same time losing a portion of business due to strike with FDX?
B. UPS does not cave, they replace the workers with lower paid workers and comes out albeit smaller a much leaner company that can create more profit?

Think of it for a second... What do you think Wall ST wants assuming a strike does occur? My bet is on "B".

I hope that there isn't a strike, but I don't see the 97 strike happening again, I see this time UPS will have something to prove. I also believe that after 4 weeks, a lot of UPS drivers will cross and go back to work. Why? a lot of the drivers are married and their wife will be patient for only so long.

Again, just my two cents.

MobileBA

I worked part time four years, spent 17 days on a picket line in 1997 so UPS would create more full time jobs. When I did work part time at UPS I had another job and was going to school. Stop your sniveling make the best of what you have and be patient. Right now you are being vetted. Either you'll endure or burn out. If you choose to soldier on you will be rewarded with a full time job.

959Nanook

Just cause full timers make way more doesn't mean they should forget about where they came from. It is harder today to become ft. Let's be real IBT is for the drivers.

Hate all you want

I understand from your position how you might feel that IBT is for drivers. I don't know the numbers but that is not entirely accurate. Not sure what kind of local you are from and what jurisdiction they have but there are Teamsters who don't have driving in their job function or it isn't their primary job function aside from PTers at UPS.

IBT represents warehouse employees, locomotive engineers and trainmen, printing and publishing employees, gas station attendants (how my dad got his start in IBT), mechanics, pilots, flight attendants, nursing home employees, hotel industry employees, law enforcement officers, corrections officers, grocery store employees, film industry employees, and the list goes on. As I said, I do not know the numbers (most are probably drivers and warehouse or at least I imagine that those two classifications probably have the largest numbers) but you can bet your bottom dollar that IBT will represent anyone they can if they can get the jurisdiction to represent them.

The same apathy that plagues the American electorate plagues organized labor. If you could unite PTers at UPS or non-driver Teamsters on a bigger scale then their voice and the strength within UPS Teamsters and IBT on the larger scale would be powerful. The structure of IBT makes it difficult to do that without coordination from IBT. I am not suggesting that it is a conspiracy or anything like that... it is what it is. Then again... IBT started out as an idea against near impossible odds and grew to what it is today.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

Hate all you want

I went on strike in 1997 as a fulltime employee for the part timers. I was part time for Four years and always worked two,sometimes 3 jobs to make ends meet.
Hate all you want kid

CAFAL

Hate all you want

I have never forgotten where I came from. I don't forget working three jobs 16 hours a day to get by. I don't see forget working sat air for two years straight. I don't forget unloading feeders at 4 in the morning,soaked w sweat while it was 10 degrees outside. How about loading three trucks and sorting the head of the belt when you actually had to read labels and memorize the route. Time for you to suck it up and wipe your tears. You have no fu**ing clue.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
what are you a manager? You have no idea? I see the IBT only favors full timers and that my friend is a fact and you can take that to the bank. I made more on unemployment without spending gas, that is bad, I have to wait a damn year for insurance. Damn

Once again I ask u why did u take the job? Don't say u didn't know they are very up front about what you'll make and how hard the work is.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
959Nanook; said:
Honestly, I don't see why top-scale drivers need anything more than COLA adjustments in most cases to begin with.

By this is assume u mean we need to keep up with inflation. Do u realize a raise to keep up with average inflation is between $1 and $1.25?

flipstyle9

We forgot where we came from? Please, boy...

Many of us have said that we were working AT LEAST 2 jobs before going full time. I worked 60 hours a week of 2 PHYSICAL jobs for 2 1/2 years to make my bills. So, I suggest you do the same. You can leave Browncafe behind and go apply for another job, then you will be ABOVE your poverty line AND you will be on your way to driving. (Not YOU, personally.....since I don't think you'll even make it 6 months)

Seriously, you all think it is easy to get a job, if I had the option of taking another job hell I would do it, I settled for UPS cause they hired me. Fact is I have a BA in Economics, Accounting option and if you think I am finding a job easy your are dead wrong. People working at Mcdonalds cause they can't get nothing else.

Keep hating but I speak all truth, if it was the 90's I can get a job no problem but we are living in different times and UPS knows this and they use it to their leverage.

flipstyle9

Once again I ask u why did u take the job? Don't say u didn't know they are very up front about what you'll make and how hard the work is.

If someone hired me I will be straight out the door, I was collecting more on unemployment but I don't want to collect unemployment. I want to actually work. Yes UPS was my last resort. They did tell me my wage. Once the economy get's better, if the wage doesn't get better I am out the door.

flipstyle9

It is not 1997 anymore, that is a fact. It is 2012 and how much progression have we seen. I am passionate about what I do I we all have the right to be treated properly, I am the only one with the balls that can speak up.

You can say I am a hater all you want but you guys that call me a whiny bitch better check them selves.

CAFAL

It is not 1997 anymore, that is a fact. It is 2012 and how much progression have we seen. I am passionate about what I do I we all have the right to be treated properly, I am the only one with the balls that can speak up.

You can say I am a hater all you want but you guys that call me a whiny bitch better check them selves.

Actually you have no rights until you make book

flipstyle9

Fact is I have a BA in Economics, Accounting option and if you think I am finding a job easy your are dead wrong.

Hmmmm, it could have NOTHING to do with your piss poor attitude. I'm done in this thread. Some people are just unable to be taught (flipstyle)

Dude i work hard at work no matter what i do. Say i have a poor attitude all you want it is all true just cause i am not someones bitch

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
If someone hired me I will be straight out the door, I was collecting more on unemployment but I don't want to collect unemployment. I want to actually work. Yes UPS was my last resort. They did tell me my wage. Once the economy get's better, if the wage doesn't get better I am out the door.
Don't let the door knob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
Listen up putz stop bitch 'in you have a job that you knew what it was going in hard work. I am 58 years old and unloaded 5 trailers tonight, 2 had a sh-t load of 55 pounders that went on our top belt ( over your shoulders) plus my normal duties and I had to have the hots out by 9 so KMA. All three of my kids have worked pt at UPS and used it as a spring board to better themselves. Yea it's difficult work but in the long term you will be a better person for it. If you stay you have to do your time seniority,benefits,dependant benefits, progression ,full time ,etc.If it is instant gratification you seek this aint the place.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Re: Look

Look at what Ups hires as part time mostly "ghetto" and thugs who Ups never will hire as ft to face the public. If they change to pay they can hire better. Hate me all you want i speak truth
You lost me with this post. You have a few legit gripes, but you keep coming across as a panty-waisted numb nuts that won't listen to his older Teamster brothers.

flipstyle9

Don't let the door knob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
Listen up putz stop bitch 'in you have a job that you knew what it was going in hard work. I am 58 years old and unloaded 5 trailers tonight, 2 had a sh-t load of 55 pounders that went on our top belt ( over your shoulders) plus my normal duties and I had to have the hots out by 9 so KMA. All three of my kids have worked pt at UPS and used it as a spring board to better themselves. Yea it's difficult work but in the long term you will be a better person for it. If you stay you have to do your time seniority,benefits,dependant benefits, progression ,full time ,etc.If it is instant gratification you seek this aint the place.

Would rather unload, safer. I do load 3 trucks that are full the hand cart can't fit.