Local 104 refuses to cooperate with the Department of Labor

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
IF -- Retirees had the right to vote in elections (not new contracts), the union would learn to respect and honor retirees who had earned their pensions and benefits. Just as in elections for political leaders, they know the silver hair population does get out and vote and how they can affect an election. Just give us retirees the right to vote, we have been around long enough to know how the game is played and know the players pretty well.

The Teamsters aren't out to screw retirees, however, they can only bargain for future retirees. Bargaining unit members vote in Union elections and on contracts, as they are the ones working under those conditions. That's how it is, blame FASB FAS 106, not the Teamsters.

Supreme Court Rules Against Retirees in Union Health Benefits Case

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1056&context=elders

ski or die

Ski or Die
The Teamsters aren't out to screw retirees, however, they can only bargain for future retirees. Bargaining unit members vote in Union elections and on contracts, as they are the ones working under those conditions. That's how it is, blame FASB FAS 106, not the Teamsters.

Supreme Court Rules Against Retirees in Union Health Benefits Case

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1056&context=elders
When I retired in 1998, the booklet they gave me stated health benefits would be $50.00 per month. The last contract that the Teamster leadership negotiated changed that. So, I guess that isn't screwing retirees. The changes did not hurt my family financially as I prepared for retirement. But every dollar is less that can used for other necessities. As far as the Teamsters on bargaining for future retirees, when they retire - they will also be at the mercy of new negotiated contracts that they will not have a voice in. Something that affects their lives and health. People that are on Social Security definitely have a voice with politicians on their futures. As a former steward, one of the issues we fought for was less wage increases and increased pension payments to the union as we looked toward our retirements. Retirees are not looking to have a say on contracts, that only concerns current and future employees. We would just like to have the right to vote on elections so we could use our voices to help in the security of retirement, not have pensions and health benefits reduced.

A

Article 3

@UpstateNYUPSer , if you saw that the company started paying your hourly wage less than what the "contract" says or they try to diminish your pension contrary to what is written in the CBA but wouldn't fix the mistake would you then "hide behind the contract" and use the grievance system to stand up for your rights?
Please help us out.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Article 3

Also, @UpstateNYUPSer , how many times have you witnessed another driver who wasn't being harassed over garbage call in for Teamster help with an OV70?
I've only seen it twice in 20 years (the first time was after the strike in 97) and I'd bet my work area has more drivers than yours does therefore giving those that "hide behind the contract" more opportunities to call in for help.
So can you give us a real example of your choice phrase that demeans hard working people?

twoweeled

Read Article 1, section 2 of the National Master. Retirees are not included in the employees covered. Read Article 2, section 1- again Retirees are not included. Your preamble or first two articles of your Regional agreement will also not mention retirees. In the WCT, under Article 30 (2)(b),(c),and (d) it discusses how healthcare coverage will be handled for retirees prior to 1/1/14 and on or after 1/1/14. That is the only place retirees has ever been mentioned in any contract I have read. The SW Package and Sort rider also does not mention retirees except in Section 25 Health Insurance Coverage- which mirrors the WCT language.

UPS did take care of retirees for many years, but now they are not willing to shoulder the liability for either current employees or retirees. They'd rather just cut a check and let us fend for ourselves. Anything can happen in the next contract, anything but HC going back to the way it was before 2013.

I don't know how you tell current employees to forego a wage increase to shorten a progression or increase the starting wage for someone who may never be hired. The minimum wage outpaces our starting wage in many States so that is forcing them to pay more regardless. I don't see progression being reduced either unless the Company decides that a shorter path to $90-100K is better than their retarded Integrad failure.
Maybe we agree, in a nutshell the company agrees to spend $X amount of dollars. It's our choice (sorta) how it gets divided. No doubt it's difficult/impossible to tell employees to sacrifice anything. I feel it has little/nothing to do with foregoing wage increases for employees who may never exist. Let's face it. It's just; what is good for me, right now! That's how some of our past contracts past. It was beneficial for a slight majority and would get the contract passed (Ron Carey contract exempted). It's strategy, and it works. That's just the way it is.
I'm sure your correct about retirees healthcare not being (written) in the contract. Personally, I don't believe anything is "non-negotiable" at contract time. I do not believe for a second, for a minimum of 35 years that I can count, UPS decided to take care of retirees for $50 a month for the same high level of healthcare. Only to become $300 a month in 3 years for a lower version of Healthcare. UPS went from a concerned employers, to who cares overnight? Nope! Doesn't make sense.
Nothing is non negotiable at contract time. That is the way UPS and the Union decided to divide up those $X amount of dollars UPS agreed to pay at contract time. Someone was going to lose something. Active (voting) employees, or retired (non-voting) employees. Cut the active (Voting) employees short, and the Union officials could be out of a job. Cut the retirees, and who cares. They can't do anything!

twoweeled

That is an astute observation.

-Bug-
LOL! I guess it's your guy in office at the time of this last screwing??
throw-a-surprise-party.png

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bugging someone when your back hurts is working safely. Disregarding someone who needs help is self centered. Disregarding Management's "bugging" you to help is quicksand.
The people who ask for OV70 help are such a minority of the workforce your example is not relevant.
Article 44 in conjunction with Article 37 (9.5 opt-in list) is the likely the best leverage we have as drivers to facilitate a fair days work, for a fair days pay.

Sprinkle in a few 8hr requests and the Company will start paying closer attention to your needs in regards to your dispatch.

Some people whine and cry and just take whatever turd burger that is put on their plate.....

.....and some people use the existing tools available help to themselves.