Local 25 Teamsters borderline criminal act?

How do you feel about this situation?

• Total voters

Peak Cardboard

They paid a :censored2:load in union dues to the teamsters. It's the teamsters job to represent them in issues like this.
Keep singing the same tune. The union will represent them but not for their money back. For that they have to take the issue to UPS who OVERPAID ON THEIR BEHALF
What do you not get about that?

Peak Cardboard

So no matter who’s fault it is 25 needs to fix it? You seem to be the one pointing the fingers. Except it’s only in one direction.
He’s clearly a supervisor trying to sow seeds of discord. Either that or he’s just an idiot-see now!? he meets criteria for being a UPS Sup!

Yolo

Keep singing the same tune. The union will represent them but not for their money back. For that they have to take the issue to UPS who OVERPAID ON THEIR BEHALF
What do you not get about that?

For the love of God can you not read? It's the Teamsters job to take the issue to UPS .The Teamsters are a labor union. They are there to remedy disputes between the employee and employer.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Continue to piss on your union brothers. I will continue to fight for them.
Ok Robin Hood. Nobody is pissing on anyone. Unless you’re into that. Sometimes things are just mistakes. Who deducts the funds from the paycheck?

It's absolutely legit that this happened, entire paycheck plus 3 hours overtime last week, zero take home. Net amount to initiation fee. At least a heads up that they are gonna do it. It's that much less they nickel and dime you for every week I get that but not even a heads up? Tough one to swallow this time of year for working folks

Yolo

Ok Robin Hood. Nobody is pissing on anyone. Unless you’re into that. Sometimes things are just mistakes. Who deducts the funds from the paycheck?

It's perfectly possible that it's a mistake. Highly likely. Local 25 should see to it that this mistake gets fixed. That's why we pay union dues. So the union can represent us in these situations. Shrugging their shoulders and saying tough luck is disgraceful.

It's legit what this guy Austin is saying, the entire net amount of your paycheck gone to initiation fee. wow. ok I get it but at least a heads up that they gonna grab your entire check. To top it off it's this Time of year when people need their $. Local 25 could've done better. Not a good look

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
It's perfectly possible that it's a mistake. Highly likely. Local 25 should see to it that this mistake gets fixed. That's why we pay union dues. So the union can represent us in these situations. Shrugging their shoulders and saying tough luck is disgraceful.
Now I can agree with you. Someone should start with HR then a trip to the local.

Boston25

It's legit what this guy Austin is saying, the entire net amount of your paycheck gone to initiation fee. wow. ok I get it but at least a heads up that they gonna grab your entire check. To top it off it's this Time of year when people need their $. Local 25 could've done better. Not a good look
Scroll up and read it was not Local 25's fault UPS dropped the ball on the whole issue. One thing you'll learn about UPS is they never admit when they :censored2: up.

Boston25

I agree with you on this. But let me be perfectly clear Local 25 is not shrugging their shoulders saying oh well we are aware of it and working on the issue.

Time for change

Hello,

My name is Austin and I just recently started working as a seasonal part-time package handler for a UPS facility in Massachusetts back in late October. When I was hired the company had made it clear to me on my first day that the job was seasonal, however, I would still need to begin paying an initiation fee to the Local 25 Teamsters Union. The initiation fee is $500.

On my first day I was provided with union paperwork which I read thoroughly and signed off on. In the paper work it stated that the initiation fee was $500, however the Teamsters recognized that a part-time employee is financially unable to pay $500 upfront, so the fee was broken down into 15 and a half weeks of 32$ payments.

To mine surprise, when I received my pay check today it stated $0. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then other employees started expressing similar concerns saying either the majority or the entirety of their paycheck had been drained, even their attendance bonuses. In my paystub it clearly stated that the entire amount of my paycheck was deducted for Union dues.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Upon everyone receiving their paychecks, a mob began to form in the middle of the building, all employees upset that their entire pay checks had been drained due two union dues. It also appeared that no one seemed to know why this had happened.

Upon speaking with management, they had assured us that they had no idea that this was going to happen and that for the last 20 years an event like this had never taken place before. They then went on to say that union dues had always been taken out in incremental amounts until completed, never has employees checks been completely drained.

Management then referred employees affected by this issue to their union stewards. Now the mob switched their attention from management to the stewards standing by. The stewards seemed to have no idea that this was going to happen and could offer no explanation. Some of them even tried to shift the blame from the Union to UPS and Human Resources. After the crowd calmed down, we were given the Union Halls number which I immediately picked up my phone and called.

A women picked up and assured me that she had been receiving calls all day regarding the issue and could do nothing for me but take my name and number and refer it to the business rep. She said that the contract states that after 31 days the union has the right to take any remaining dues in full. I then proceeded to tell her that in the paper work I signed states the fee would be broken down into payments. To that, she had no comment. I then asked her who in the Union made this decision and she said that she did not know, but she felt terrible for those employees.

Now, the reason why I am on Browncafe today is to see if anyone else from another Union did or has experienced a similar issue before? It seems to me almost criminal to take someone's entire weeks pay check at the beginning of the month when bills are due, just a few weeks before Christmas, especially when they are seasonal employees and will most likely never be able to take advantage of the benefits. For me, it wasn't as much of a big deal because I have a full-time job during the day and only picked up this job to help make some additional income for the holiday season and get in shape. I saw one employee crying because she had children at home to feed and was living paycheck to paycheck.

I also did a little research on Google and found an article from November 2018 stating that the Local 25 teamsters union was $5B in debt for their pension plan. Maybe there is a link between this event?

Please no trolls!
Your grammar is so bad that you actually make @BigUnionGuy and @Tony Q look intelligent. Pack on some pounds and run for union leadership, you’ll fit right in with the other buffoons.